Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-03-02, 10:47am

Default Who do you want to take a boro class with?

I am putting together my little dream list for future classes that I want to take and here is what I have so far.

Mr. Smiley - the king of color
John Kobuki - check out those implosions
Steve Sizelove - beautiful hollow work
Milon Townsend - sculptural wow

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-03-02, 11:41am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Can I come with you?

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-03-02, 11:50am
See my quote!!

OOh my wish list. Now if I only can convince all or some of them to visit South Africa.

Mr Smiley - my inspiration to try boro
John Kobuki
Sabina Boehm
Loren Stump

“The greatest part of our happiness depends on our dispositions not our circumstances”. - Martha Washington

Old 2008-03-02, 11:53am
Borovangelist

Lauren Stump
Henry Grimmet
Suellen Fowler
Steve Sizelove
And a chance to assist in Josh Simpson's shop for the day would be a hoot too.

|
|
Old 2008-03-02, 12:07pm

I'd go to any one. Add Chris Rice to your list. His marbles are gorgeous.
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2008-03-02, 1:27pm
No Problem!

Robert Mickelson is at the top of my list for now..would love to pick up some graal skills..
Just send me off to Pilchuck and I'll be in heaven..

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2008-03-02, 1:45pm
Newfoundland lover!

Pipyr and Ed Slawson
Lori Copeland

(and everyone listed above!)
Old 2008-03-03, 6:31am
ManBearPig

Clinton, Pakoh, Banjo, or J Lee.

Old 2008-03-03, 7:43am

The only reasons I didn't include Loren on my original list is that he isn't specifically working with boro, and that I have already been lucky enough to have taken his 5 day intensive class: Loren 1. All that being said, if you have a chance to take his class, do it! It will blow your mind.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2008-03-03, 7:44am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Clinton, Pakoh, Banjo, or J Lee.
I have heard of Pakoh, but not the others. Do they have websites?

Old 2008-03-03, 7:56am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort View Post
I have heard of Pakoh, but not the others. Do they have websites?

Banjo - http://www.glasspipes.org/Banjo-l-l
J Lee - http://www.glasspipes.org/JasonLeeGlass
Pakoh - http://www.glasspipes.org/PaKoH
Not sure what happened to all of Clinton's pics. They are all gone now...

Old 2008-03-04, 4:48am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Loren Stump
Mr Smileypants
Eric Mort
Sonya Husko
Chris Rice
John Kobuki
Milon Townsend
James Daschbach

in no particular order

Old 2008-03-04, 2:52pm
Melting for Glass!

Harold Cooney
Andrew Brown
Doni Hatz
Shannon Hill
Suellen Fowler
Jesse Kohl

Cecilia

Old 2008-03-04, 9:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
Loren Stump
Mr Smileypants
Eric Mort
Sonya Husko
Chris Rice
John Kobuki
Milon Townsend
James Daschbach

in no particular order
Well, one of those names doesn't belong on the list. Maybe in about 10 years or so......

Old 2008-03-04, 10:28pm

presently I think a day with Beau would serve me best. I'm really impressed with all the work presently posted by Evolving Creations.
Murf

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2008-03-04, 10:46pm
No Problem!

Murf...Thanks from the bottom of my soul man, really. Damn.
I've got some visions for the reality of sharing that I would like to create as soon as things come together. When it does, I trust that you'll know.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2008-03-04, 11:45pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Oh Beau I'd take a blown bead class from you in a heartbeat

Old 2008-03-05, 1:59pm
Type ZZZ personality

All of the above
plus Doug Remschneider

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons

Last edited by rusticstudio; 2008-03-11 at 3:52pm.
Old 2008-03-08, 4:47am
Dead man walking

That's funny Eric, your list is my list as well. I have gone to class with all of them except Milon and they did not disappoint. I'm in class with Steve this weekend. With one day down, I can say for sure it's very worth while.

At this point, my short list would be:

Lucio Bubbaco
Paul Stankard
Emilio Santini
Gianni Toso
Bearclaw
Robert Mickelsen
Milon Townsend

And of course follow ups with folks I've already learned from to further define my skills.
Old 2008-03-08, 5:26am
boro color bender

Lucio- I really want to know how these guys do those tiny fingers so close together without melting the next one into a little ball.

Paul Stankard... I look at his stuff and my mind just goes *ZZZzzzzzzZZZT*

John Kobuki... he's figured some implosion stuff out that really impresses me too.

I'm not big on taking classes. I've taken two. One with Kate Fowle and one with Robert Mickelsen. I enjoyed both... I am soooo tempted to see if I can get in to the Kobuki class here in Orlando...

I know two of these are soft glass guys... but to me at this point, glass is glass. The differences are getting much smaller in my head. I love melting either one.

I am honored that my name was mentioned on some of your lists. I really do enjoy teaching and hopefully can get scheduled close enough to meet you fine folks some day soon.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-03-09, 5:49pm

I've started working down my list, I'm signed up with Mr Smiley in the Fall.

Good start, eh?
Vanessa
Old 2008-03-10, 7:49am
boro color bender

Woohoo... can't wait to meet you Vanessa.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-03-14, 9:48pm

I'm signed up for the John Kabuki class on Mar 22 here Brent... he'll be here for a week. I am dying to see how he gets the CRISPNESS out of the colors in his marbles. The lines and edges are so sharp.

I'd love to take a class with Milton Townsend, and Ray Olsen too. Ray is local, and is the glass sculptor for Disney's limited edition glass, especially Mickey Mouse. He also exhibits in the Orlando Museum of Art. Ray's work is unbelievable, and just one of the nicest glass people I've ever met.

He attends a lot of the JW Hull Gatherings, maybe you can attend one of them. He'll be teaching advanced sculpture this summer here too at J W Hull's. He has an 'Einstein' goblet at Hulls, and omg... it is solid glass and is a dead on, full color bust of Einstein.

Besides Paul Stankard who's in a class by himself, I can't think of a better glass sculptor, and that includes Milton Townsend. Milton Townsend's figures are incredible, but Ray's detail and facial expressions in glass blows him away.

I also hope I can take YOUR glass sculpture class this summer. I know everyone has a different specialty, and I love your work as well.
Old 2008-03-15, 6:17am
Miss my BoBo Griff

I'd have to second what Hels said about Raybabies work and teaching ability!!! You can't go wrong with him for soft glass or boro he does it all, you should see the soft glass great dane he did for me to honor my boy Griff (in my avatar) who just passed away. If you ever get a chance to learn from him you should jump on it.
chrisann

Old 2008-03-30, 2:00am
Skeptical Optimist

Bill Rasmussen - Human forms class
John Kobuki
Nathan Miers
Matt Eskuche
Cheers!

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.
Old 2008-04-07, 6:59am

right now my list is carmen lozar and john kobuki
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2008-04-09, 5:43pm

Just finished a 8 hour private lesson with Robert Mickelson at his studio in florida that he is offering now. Would highly recommend it. Just you and him all day and whatever you want to work on.
Old 2008-04-09, 6:07pm
Against the Grain

I'm doing an ornament class with Doug Remshnieder this month and am stoked about it.
At this point I'll learn from anyone who knows more than me on this subject.

under construction

HELLCAT! with 2 oxycons and household NG (yes I will be increasing the oxy)

D-41
Old 2008-04-10, 7:39am

Cool stuff! I would like to take a class with any of them!
Brent When are you coming to CA??
Pakoh has an interesting series that I finally found after searching 4-5 links.... His 2008 series with the images in the glass is awsome!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-04-10, 9:26am
Satake Woman!

Don't forget Kaj Beck! He gives a wonderful class.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!