LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2012-07-09, 6:59am
Mango Beads

Default A Practical Guide to Cabs and Poppers

My new tutorial is now available for sale on Etsy ...

This 30 page e tutorial will introduce you to making cabs on a cab mandrel.

The tutorial is very specific to our mandrels ( available separately) but can obviously be applied to all cab mandrels.

In this tutorial I will share tips for getting the best use out of cab mandrels. I will cover the initial application of glass and include valuable information on shaping them.

The tutorial also covers finishing your cabs; my partner David has extensive knowledge of glass finishing techniques, and the tutorial offers options and methods for grinding and cleaning the bottoms if you don't own a flat lap, and tips for gluing them to poppers, etc.

We import ‘naked poppers’ compatible with this system for you to use, our 14.5mm cab makes a perfect size cab for this popper.

I do not go into great detail on specific designs in this tutorial. I do however introduce you to dots and layers with tips on heat control which will benefit the application of design on these little cabs.

Thanks for looking

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Mangobeads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Manda x

Last edited by mangobeads; 2012-07-10 at 2:33am.
Old 2012-07-17, 3:39am
Mango Beads

We have also just taken delivery of our own custom made no hole 17mm snap/popper which is available on Etsy - we have the bottom part too which will be listed in due course
We have also created a smal Silicone carbide grit cleaning kit as used in my tutorial which will be listed in the next few days - its perfect for cab preparation. Quick, effective and very easy to use.

]

Manda x
Old 2012-07-17, 4:18am
aka Spawn Of Flame

What is a popper?
Is it what I call a snap, or is a snap popper a special kind of popper?

--
--
--

Last edited by rosemarie23; 2012-07-17 at 4:20am.
Old 2012-07-21, 2:49pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

A popper is a new jewelry trend that has not hit the US yet as far as I know- the original company is a Dutch one and they make leather bracelets and belts and all sorts of things that allow you to interchange these "poppers" by using a snap system.

I would highly recommend Manda's tutorial!!!!!

Old 2012-08-18, 6:19pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Okay, Michelle... I blame you!
I read this thread and popped (heheh) over to Mangobeads Etsy store and the next thing I know I have just bought 4 mandrels, extra tops extra backs and the 3 part pieces... and the tutorial bundle... I am now on the Tandy Leather site buying stuff to make leather bracelets... and this my dear Michelle, is.all.your.fault.

PS - I have the tutorials and they are awesome. I am glad I have some cab mandrels to at least practice with even if they won't fit the popper pieces.

Old 2012-08-19, 10:20pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Oh no... did I kill the thread??

I almost made a cab then I made one... the first one failed because I used a cab mandrel that I had only dipped the face of. I was making some striped cabs before and I guess I was a little quicker doing those. So I was about 3/4 of the way done and boink... not quite done cab fell off the mandrel...

I made another... the top petals got distorted but I know what I did wrong so next time it will work! Anyway... as soon as I get something worthy of posting I will!

Old 2012-08-20, 7:57pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Keep us posted on how yours turn out Donna. I've been drooling over these for a while now. You can make your own leather bracelets too with recycled leather belts.

Old 2012-08-20, 8:01pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Hopeful Journeys View Post
Keep us posted on how yours turn out Donna. I've been drooling over these for a while now. You can make your own leather bracelets too with recycled leather belts.
Dang! I should have thought of that! Thank you! That is something I can probably find in the thrift shops around here... and I think I have at least one belt that is just about ready to break from being latched in the exact same place for so many years.

Yay!

Old 2012-08-20, 8:58pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
Dang! I should have thought of that! Thank you! That is something I can probably find in the thrift shops around here... and I think I have at least one belt that is just about ready to break from being latched in the exact same place for so many years.

Yay!
All you will need is the tool to put in the snaps. I think Joanns or Tandy may have the tool and snaps.

Garage sales are the best too!

Old 2012-08-20, 9:01pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Tandy is not that far from my house... I'm trying to talk myself out of going there and just ordering what I need on line... even the shipping would be less costly than me going there and being let loose in a "candy" store...

Old 2012-08-22, 9:00pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Okay, now I have two cabs... the failure and one I made today that I am much happier with. I still think I need to make the base even smaller that I am though. But I will keep working with getting them just right so when my Mango mandrels get here I'll have it down. I'll post pics of 2 cabs I have tomorrow.

Old 2012-08-22, 9:16pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Oooh I want to see pictures!!!!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2012-08-23, 2:12pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Okay, here are the two cabs... the yellow one is the first. It got too big and I could see that the yellow had gotten pulled away on part of it before it ever went into the kiln... so I experimented and used the graphite cab/button face shaper thingamajig.

Old 2012-08-27, 4:37pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Tee hee! Got my mandrels and "bits" in the mail today! I'm really excited to start playing!

Old 2012-08-30, 1:53pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I made two tiny cabs with the mandrels I got from Manda... I am so excited! The cabs are not the fanciest cabs but they fit in the popper bit! So I am really really happy. I do wish I had bought more mandrels though! 4 is just not going to be enough.

Old 2012-08-30, 2:19pm
...displaced ocean lover

PICTURES!!!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-08-30, 2:27pm
...displaced ocean lover

Default Yay, let's play the blame game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
Okay, Michelle... I blame you!
I read this thread and popped (heheh) over to Mangobeads Etsy store and the next thing I know I have just bought 4 mandrels, extra tops extra backs and the 3 part pieces... and the tutorial bundle... I am now on the Tandy Leather site buying stuff to make leather bracelets... and this my dear Michelle, is.all.your.fault.

PS - I have the tutorials and they are awesome. I am glad I have some cab mandrels to at least practice with even if they won't fit the popper pieces.
Grrrr...fine. You can blame Michelle but I'm going to have to blame you.
And as such, I need you to tell me what all I need so I don't miss something.
Popper pieces? Bundle? Extra somethings...and where is the leather? How do they connect, the leather bracelet I mean. How do you make the holes? What do I need for that?

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-08-30, 2:47pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Here ya go...

Old 2012-08-30, 2:50pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I got her 30 piece kit, plus extra pieces for the cabs and the sew on backs.

I found everything I'm gonna need for the leather at tandyleatherfactory.com

Old 2012-08-30, 2:50pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Oh and I only got 4 mandrels, I wish I had gotten 6...

Old 2012-08-30, 4:44pm

Roo, I ordered her tute on making the cabs. The cabs came out great, very easy. I also just winged it and ordered parts. I had no idea what to order but just ordered some to come in the same package. I got the ones she doesn't know how to fit together yet. I haven't received them, but will soon. I'm waiting to see how to go forward. I really want to see how this all fits together. The cabs are easy to make.

Donna, your cabs turned out great. Very pretty!!!

Last edited by Rose; 2012-08-31 at 7:24am.
Old 2012-10-01, 3:50pm
Lavender Dawn

OHHHHH - pics please - want to see the finished piece Donna!
Old 2012-11-08, 1:53pm
Mango Beads

Hello Everyone - I feel really bad I started this thread and have neglected to come back I didn't hit the 'notify me ' button so I am really sorry .

To all of you that have bought snaps and mandrels and everything else thank you I hope you are enjoying your tools and would love to see more pictures of what you are all making with them

They are very addictive ! I make lots and they sell really well -

Here's a picture of the bracelets that we have had made in the UK .. Would love to see more pictures so please if you have anŷ post them here

IMG_9917 copy by Mangobeads, on Flickr

manŷ many thanks everyone and big thanks to Sundoor Michelle : xxx

]

Manda x
Old 2013-09-01, 11:40am
Mr Brutus RIP

I see this is an older thread but perhaps we could breath some life back into it with pics ladies?