LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-12-18, 11:43am

Default correct type of stainless for hollow tubes?

Hi all makers of Pandora style silver lined beads

I asked this in another forum category, but there isn't much traffic there and lots here.

I am searching for a supplier of 3/16" x 9" hollow stainless tubes of the correct type and gauge for bead making. So far no luck. What I have found is all 12". Anyone know of a supplier for 9"? Tink once cut them special for me, but she doesn't have the 3/16".

Meanwhile, I can buy the tubing from Small Parts (and get two day free shipping through Amazon) and cut my own from a 36" length. Rather not have to do the cutting and polishing, although I can. My concern is that I buy the correct type of stainless... I know it isn't all the same (hardness, heat resistance, etc.) but don't remember the code for the type I need.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Holaday; 2010-12-18 at 11:45am. Reason: spelling
Old 2010-12-18, 1:18pm
maybe tomorrow

I don't bother with hollow, I just use regular 3/16" mandrels. It seems like you'd pay a lot more for the hollow, wouldn't you?

Old 2010-12-18, 2:14pm

Toni,

Good point. Perhaps because of the weight of the solid mandrels? I'll try those as well.... meanwhile, I just ordered hollow mandrels from Amy (Zoosies) and she offered to cut them to 9" at no extra charge.

Carol

Old 2010-12-18, 4:18pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

OK, the best grade for mandrels is 316 with or without the 'L'. The 'L' signifies food grade but is essentially the same as 316 no 'L'. Next best is 308 or 309. Almost no difference between them. The 08, 09, 16 indicate the amount of chromium and other alloys in the steel that make it 'stainless' and it is also a good indication of the steel's resistance to heat damage and bending while hot.

It may be hard to find tubing in any of these grades at common outlets such as a hardware store since the 'grade' is usually not specified. That being said the most common variety is almost always 308.
PJH
Old 2010-12-18, 4:48pm

I go to a hobby shop and buy hollow mandrels. They are cheaper and work fine.

Old 2010-12-18, 5:52pm

Thank you PJH, exactly what I wanted to know.

I can buy 36" of 316L 3/16" tubing from Small Parts via Amazon and pay no shipping... but how much nicer to buy from Amy (Zoozii) since she is willing to cut to 9". I thought I would do my own cutting until Amy offered to supply what I need at no extra charge for the service. A tad bit more expensive than cutting my own, but not much... plus time and energy are what I never have enough of.

Thanks again for your reply.