LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-09-02, 8:10pm
Colors outside the lines

Question How to make a cabochon on the end of a glass rod?

Anyone have a tutorial for this? I read about this somewhere and have lost the link.

Leah
Old 2007-09-02, 9:37pm
Super Duper

I don't know for sure but I would think it would be similar to making a button or pendant on the end of the rod. I don't know how critical the shape would have to be though.
Old 2007-09-02, 10:55pm
Just me

The may/june 2004 Step by Step beads magazine has a tut called wave cabachons that are built on the end of a rod, then puntied up, melted off the rod, then the punty is removed, they are annealed and then later fused.
Do you have that magazine?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-09-03, 6:19am
Colors outside the lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbyanne View Post
The may/june 2004 Step by Step beads magazine has a tut called wave cabachons that are built on the end of a rod, then puntied up, melted off the rod, then the punty is removed, they are annealed and then later fused.
Do you have that magazine?
Thanks for the information! I'm off to search my magazines and project binders; I hope I have it beacuse the reprint is no longer available at Step by Step. It sounds like just what I'm looking for.

Leah
Old 2007-09-03, 11:50am
Somethings grow wild

Location: Soulsbyville in California, just down the hill from Yosemite
Default tut

Hi Leah

I did a tutorial on butterflys over on wet canvas. You can use the same approch to make cabochon on the end of a rod. it is #49. On step #4 rather than mashing stright down on the graphite use a marble mold... or if you don't have a marble mold let the glass gather utill you have a nice round ball then let it cool enough to do a cold punty, melt off the larger rod, heat that end and mash that side being carefull not to heat the rounded side.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...=440681&page=4

Clear as mud?

Kare

Old 2007-09-03, 4:55pm
Colors outside the lines

Thanks Kare, that really helps!

Leah
Old 2007-09-03, 10:57pm
Just me

Cool tut Kare!
I saved and printed that baby up!
I can't do boro yet but I would be willing to risk giving it a try with soft glass. Maybe bullseye or some 96 coe would work well.
*sigh* So many things to try so little torch time. Lol. My kids won't be little forever so I'd better enjoy them now, glass can wait!

Old 2007-09-08, 12:45am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwilson21 View Post
Thanks for the information! I'm off to search my magazines and project binders; I hope I have it beacuse the reprint is no longer available at Step by Step. It sounds like just what I'm looking for.

Leah
Hi Leah, That article mentioned was written by Staceylynn Russom, who used to be a member here, and myself. She did the tut on the cab and I did the "how to" on how to bead around it. Since we wrote it I would be happy to email you the pages you need. Only one problem. I am leaving town in the morning and can't get it to you until I get back. Let me know if you would like me to do this for you.
Bindy

Old 2007-09-08, 8:24am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Beader View Post
Hi Leah, That article mentioned was written by Staceylynn Russom, who used to be a member here, and myself. She did the tut on the cab and I did the "how to" on how to bead around it. Since we wrote it I would be happy to email you the pages you need. Only one problem. I am leaving town in the morning and can't get it to you until I get back. Let me know if you would like me to do this for you.
Bindy
Hey Bindy - if you can send it to me too - I'd appreciate it!
I KNOW I have that issue here somewhere (but if you saw my
studio now, you'd understand why it is..."inaccessible" and this time
(meaning - the place is a freaking pigsty). I have an idea of how to make
the cabs, since I make lots of pendants (and took Kati's class at Glass Stock!)
but I'm always looking for new ideas.

Thanks, love!

P.S. When are you sending out the food list for the upcoming meeting???

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2007-09-08, 9:53am
Just me

Hi Bindy,
I have the cab tut but not the how to. Would it be asking too much to have it emailed to me? Please?

Quote:
Bindy

Old 2007-09-09, 5:45am
Senior Moment

Kare, very nice tut! Thank you.

Old 2007-09-13, 10:17pm

Default my ears were burning

Quote:
Bindy
. Have fun making the cabs.

StacyLynne

Last edited by StacyLynne; 2007-09-13 at 11:10pm.
Old 2007-09-13, 10:42pm

Could I get a copy also? I am doing a wire wrapping class and would like to make something like this to wirewrap
Thanks

Old 2007-09-14, 11:17am

Here's one more person who would like a copy of that tutorial. Is it anything you could email to us? I'll be happy to send you postage or reimburse you for the copies, just let me know. And, thanks so much!
Old 2007-09-14, 12:00pm

Default Tutorial

How generous of you. I would love to have the tutorial sent to me by
e-mail, also. Many thanks, Peg M
Old 2007-09-17, 2:33pm
ManBearPig

Here's how I do them. Basically you would do everything but the part where you add the loop...

http://www.soleiletlune.com/tutorial...n-pendant.html

Old 2007-09-17, 7:41pm
Colors outside the lines

Thanks Bindy, StacyLynne and Cosmo! Between the copy of the article and Cosmo's tut, I think I am ready to try this out.

Leah
Old 2007-09-19, 9:43am

Default Same tutorial

Hi
The tut that was sent in by Trent is almost the same as the one I did along with Bindy. Not much different. The technique is about the same. I think I marved my cab on a marble mold to give it a more round shape on the top. I also put them in the kiln and fired them at a full fuse, to flatten the bottom so Bindy would have a smooth and flat surface to work with. The article is packed away somewhere and I cant get to it. But Bindy will send it to the ones that requested it.

Have fun playing
StacyLynne
Old 2007-09-19, 11:25am
koregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyLynne View Post
Hi
The tut that was sent in by Trent is almost the same as the one I did along with Bindy. Not much different. The technique is about the same. I think I marved my cab on a marble mold to give it a more round shape on the top. I also put them in the kiln and fired them at a full fuse, to flatten the bottom so Bindy would have a smooth and flat surface to work with. The article is packed away somewhere and I cant get to it. But Bindy will send it to the ones that requested it.

Have fun playing
StacyLynne
Stacy, how are you?? gosh its been forever. thought of you often, wondering how you and Steve are.

Old 2007-09-19, 5:16pm
Master Procrastinator

Me too! Me too! Could I also get a copy e-mailed to me please?

Old 2007-09-19, 9:50pm
Uh Oh....

Bindy,
Can I get a copy too?

Thanks so much!!
Susan
Old 2007-09-20, 8:40am

Cool Hi Kaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye View Post
Stacy, how are you?? gosh its been forever. thought of you often, wondering how you and Steve are.
Thanks for asking. We are ALL... Doing wonderful. Both Kids are doing so well!! Steve is great (as Always) and I , I am so busy that I could just burst.
(in a good way) Hope you are doing well also... How are the kids, grandkids Dan and the animals? Hows my Rosie doing?
StacyLynne
Old 2007-09-20, 8:46am
koregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyLynne View Post
Thanks for asking. We are ALL... Doing wonderful. Both Kids are doing so well!! Steve is great (as Always) and I , I am so busy that I could just burst.
(in a good way) Hope you are doing well also... How are the kids, grandkids Dan and the animals? Hows my Rosie doing?
StacyLynne
So good to hear that Stacy, Rosie is doing great, she has a little sister now, Daisy, a Cavalier King Charles, they are great together. Maddy my grandaughter will be three already end of Jan. Jenn, we are still have a lot of deep and bad problems with. Dan and I are just older...but doing well.

Old 2007-10-05, 2:33am

Default I'm Back

I promised I would post the cab tut that Staceylynn and I did and I will in the morning. I just got back from a long vacation and had to hit the pavement running when I got home. I only have two weeks to make inventory for a juried show I got into on the 20th and 21st. I didn't think I got in so I didn't make much on vacation. Now I am behind as usual. So check back on Friday the 5th and it will be here. Thanks for being patient and if anyone has any questions on any of the steps just PM Staceylynn or myself and we can help you.
Bindy

Old 2007-10-08, 1:07am

OK I must be doing something wrong because I am trying to download the pics here of the tutorial and it keeps saying that it is too big. Then I keep making it smaller and it is now blurry!!

So if you want the tutorial please PM me and I will email it to you all. I have it saved and scanned in my computer now. Sorry for the delay.
Bindy

Last edited by The Mad Beader; 2007-10-08 at 1:15am. Reason: repeated info
Old 2007-10-08, 7:05am

Wink BIN

I can do it. I will see you tomorrow for our play date and get the Mag from you and do it for yah... OK buddy.. Stace
Old 2007-10-08, 12:46pm

OK, I have sent out the instructions to everyone who had either emailed me or posted here. If I missed anyone just let me know and I will get it to you.

Thanks Stace, got it. LOL See you tomorrow!

Old 2007-11-12, 11:45am
Mido

Smile

Hello Bindy !
Would you be so kind to send me the cab tutorial too !
Thanks a lot, I can't wait trying this tuto.
Moonliza
Old 2007-11-12, 11:54am
Still Missing You

Hi Binday,

Know I'm kinda late on the request, but would you mind sending me a copy of the cab tutorial?

Thank you,

Linda
Old 2007-11-12, 12:07pm

Hello Bindy,
Please send me a copy too! I need some cab to do wires wrap. This tut would help me to make some natural color cab for the wires. I can not find this kind of cab anywhere. Thanks millions.