Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2015-03-22, 7:34am

Default Act of Courage Beads Needed

We find ourselves in the very uncomfortable position of being completely out of Act of Courage beads at headquarters. If you've got a pile of beads, or even a few, please pack them up and send them out. We've got a lot of very brave kids out there who need to be recognized for their courage in the face of illness!
Thanks much
Robert
Old 2015-03-22, 7:45am
Loving learning

I have a box on the table with 40 I was going to send tomorrow, but I will go out now & do a few more right now. Thanks for letting us know the need is greater than usual.
Old 2015-03-22, 10:31am

Hi, Im in .
I'll go do a clean out of the stash .
: )
Sandra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Etsy shop

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-03-22, 11:06am
Temptress

will get a box together today and send out tomorrow.
Old 2015-03-22, 1:00pm

I've got 500 beads ready to ship out in the morning
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-03-22, 2:28pm
Loving learning

Yahoo Patty!
And Yahoo everyone else, whether you're sending five of 500!
Old 2015-03-22, 5:47pm

Is there any estimate of about how many kids are in this system? The children's hospital is the system right?
How many kids more or less does BOC help monthly?
It might help to see the numbers.
S

Etsy shop

Old 2015-03-22, 7:26pm
Loving learning

According to their website, they expect to need about 100,000 Act of Courage Beads this year. That is a lot of beads!

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-03-23, 4:19am

To add a bit to what Eileen posted - here's a list of the participating hospitals. It helps to give an idea of the scope of the program.

Old 2015-03-23, 5:08am
Practicing perfect

I will work on getting mine in a mailer this week. I have a stash, I've been meaning to send.

Old 2015-03-23, 5:22am

In addition to the 100K(+) Act of Courage beads we also use over 1 million program beads per year. We have a constant need for beads!

Robert
Old 2015-03-23, 5:57am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I have NOTHING currently in my stash that meets the requirements - I use way too much silver glass. But I'll start with today's torch session, and try to make some every time I'm in the studio.

Robert, could you put a quick reminder in this thread of the requirements for BOC beads, and specifically what you're looking for in Act of Courage beads?

L-111

Old 2015-03-23, 6:48am
Disconnected

Can you use boring little dot beads as well?

Old 2015-03-23, 8:45am
Loving learning

The requirements are on this page if it helps. Scroll down to see the Act of Courage Bead special requirements.

& Flonche, dot beads aren't boring!
Old 2015-03-23, 8:56am
MacGalver

Sending a box this week!

Old 2015-03-23, 10:58am

There's some wonderful feedback on this blog post from parents of kids in the program regarding what kind of beads the kids like. Some great ideas here!

Old 2015-03-23, 11:58am
Shelarious

That's really helpful, thanks Patty!

Old 2015-03-23, 12:11pm
Flame Dames Rule!

Got a good sized mess of beads donated by members of SGB Norcal, will send it off this week.

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2015-03-23, 12:43pm
Loving learning

I just finished packing the box, and realized that the PO closes in 18 minutes.
I will definitely be there tomorrow with 50 Act of Courage beads heading to Tucson.
Old 2015-03-24, 7:22am

I've got a box that will go out today.
Old 2015-03-24, 7:25am

Mine are simple one or two color with no decoration but I have 250 if them. I'll get them shipped.

-Donna

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2015-03-27, 3:41pm

Thanks for sharing my post, Patty!

The parents were very enthusiastic about sharing all the current bead wishes - it's great information to have.

Hope it will inspire everyone to hit the torch for a good cause

Reading through all those comments really drives home just how special these beads are.

-- Julie

Last edited by uglibeads; 2015-03-27 at 4:21pm.
Old 2015-03-27, 4:42pm

Thank *you* Julie!
Old 2015-03-30, 8:50am

Julie, Can I share your post on a facebook status? I am doing a bead drive with a non profit I am part of and I think this will help.
Bea
Old 2015-03-31, 12:10am

Sure thing, Bea!

Your bead drive sounds great! Hope it's a huge success!

xo

Julie

Old 2015-03-31, 1:36pm

I just got a thanks. For last weeks beads sent in. 130 robots, smilies.
Old 2015-03-31, 2:31pm

I got one too!
Old 2015-04-01, 6:48am

Old 2015-04-02, 7:33am
Mermaid in Training

What I have made so far... I have more that I am sending along but no pictures... I plan to dedicate the rest of the week to BOC then send what I have on Monday.

Dizzy Bead on Etsy
Old 2015-04-02, 8:25am

Those are darling Diana - love the monkeys especially!

The kids will be thrilled!