TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-05-12, 10:11pm

Chris that is so nice to share I have never seen these before I will try one. I am amazed at your beauty and the color schemes WOW!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
Old 2007-05-13, 5:04am
boro color bender

Chris... you rock man. No other way to word it. Thanks for posting and helping these us out. I've admired your work for a long time... Now I've gotta try one too.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2007-05-13, 8:54pm

Chris... Those are fantastic. Like Brent said "You Rock Man".

What glass are you using for those? They are so clear and vibrant colors.

Glass can be a Solid, Glass can be a Liquid, But Glass should always be a GAS!

Old 2007-05-14, 6:45am
Hooked on Glass

Default butterfly implosion

This is the first time that I have uploaded an image. I am having a hard time getting a size that is small enough to upload. My camera is nor slouch but I am having an awful time with focus.

Well this is my first attempt of a Butterfly implosion. This is soft glass.
Thanks for the diagram.

Last edited by Gwood; 2007-05-16 at 5:03pm.
Old 2007-05-14, 6:53am

Thanks alot you guys, I appreciate the comments!! And thanks for posting those pics, looks like you are all doing well!! I've been in touch with Profitable Glass and they have recently teamed up with The Flow magazine, so this how to is going to be in the next issue. Be sure to check it out, it will have pics and a more in depth description. Thanks again, off to work!
-chris

Old 2007-05-14, 9:22pm

Any suggestions Chris about my questions?

Old 2007-05-15, 2:52am

Default Sorry!

I always forget about the questions, sorry for that. Let's see, I'm not sure if there is a way to make them without the flower look, I've never tried any other way. With this implosion style marble, I think it will always look that way. As for the other question, did you pull the center of the disc at all? It sounds like you may have pulled it towards the end and that would have made it pull everything to the bottom. If not, you may have not melted it in straight. Sometimes if some parts are heated more than others they will implode faster. They will take some practice to get them perfect, it took me almost a year until I was completely happy with them. Hope this helps, keep your eyes out for the next Flow!
-chris

Old 2007-05-15, 2:53am

Oh ya, and I'm using boro for these here, Simax clear.
-chris

Old 2007-05-15, 3:14pm

Thanks - I'll try again! I am using soft glass - maybe that's the problem!

Old 2007-05-15, 6:16pm
Karved Kati

Chis - This is what make LE such a wonderful place!!! Thanks for sharing with, inspiring, and encouraging so many people.

Now I'm off to the torch to play. I'll post some picks soon.

P.S. I agree YOU ROCK!!!!

GlassHive Kiln/Barracuda Torch/EX2000
Old 2007-05-15, 9:53pm

Hey Chris - I tried another one tonight - I'll post it tomorrow for your evaluation. I altered the implosion a bit to try not to make my marble look like an altered flower implosion - I'd love to hear what you think of it tomorrow Chris. You have inspired me SO much - thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 2007-05-16, 7:48am
Sparkle Strumpet

Oh Chris....thank you for being so generous and sharing this technique.....wow, beautiful beads!

Kindle Edition by Laurie Byrne-Smith
Old 2007-05-16, 4:32pm

Here it is Chirs and everyone - my 2nd attempt at the butterfly marble using soft glass. To try and stop the flower implosion look, I made a base of white for the little critter to sit upon. I'd love your comments please. I think the body got alot flatter than the first attempt and the antanne is alot better too in my opinion. The lower wings came up alot higher than the first one too.

Rich
Attached Images

Old 2007-05-17, 2:46am
He can do the origami

Thanks for the great tutorial. Here is one of the first ones I did. I have done several more and they are turning out nice.

Old 2007-05-17, 4:09am

Wow oh wow, great job you guys!! So glad to see these turning out! Rich, way to go on the base of yours, may I make a suggestion? It looks like the base of your fly started to flare out, maybe next time, you can flatten the base with a paddle, then wrap your white or another base color to the bottom? This way the end will tuck up underneath the butterfly and it might hide it more. It looks great, just a suggestion. Keep them pics coming!
-chris

Old 2007-05-17, 10:14am

alright heres my third attempt...the first looked like a clover...the second a demented fairy...and this one is kinda close but hey im a total noob so try not to beat me up too bad.
Attached Images

Old 2007-05-17, 2:37pm

Thanks Chris - I wish you were my next door neighbor!...lol

Old 2007-05-21, 10:18am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Rice View Post
It's bascially the same as making a flower, only with the body down the center. And you would use only 4 lines to make the wings, two larger ones at the head, and two smaller ones towards the back of the flutterby. I wrote an article for Profitable Glass quite a while ago and it still hasn't come out, I think they are supposed to print it this spring, hope this helps. I'll try to find out when the article is coming out.
-chris
OMG, the second one is a glassgasm.. WOW.. I have never seen anything like that, ever! Where can we purchase one? Didn't see anything for sale on the website.

Old 2007-05-21, 3:00pm

Briolette, I sent you a PM. Thanks for the compliments!
-chris

Old 2007-05-21, 3:17pm

Hey Chris. What yellow are you using? I have a hard time keeping my yellow from bubbling.
Ross

Last edited by NightCat; 2007-05-23 at 6:16am.
Old 2007-05-23, 9:10am

I have to recommend the sunshine yellow and sunset orange from Momka. I don't have any boiling issues with either one of them.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-05-24, 5:09am

I like to use Momka's sunshine yellow, and GA's Rasta gold. They seem to work best for me.
-chris

Old 2007-05-24, 6:10am

Thank-You Eric and Chris. I will put some of those colors on my next order. It will be nice to have something that works a little better.
~R
Old 2007-05-29, 12:18pm

Default Butterfly Goblets!

Here's a pair of goblets I made the other day with some butterfly marbles in them. I would like to do alot more of these, but they don't always move as fast. If I could get off my butt, I would like to market these to wedding couples, or planners, I've just never pursued the idea. One of these days I will get around to it. I make quite a few for people, I can even etch their names and dates into them if they so choose. Too many things to make, not enough time!! Thanks again for looking!
-chris

Old 2007-06-18, 7:40pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

My face lit up when I saw your red and yellow butterfly.... because...
I've been working on a flower in a marble for many months. Getting the petals all the same size is difficult, but my big problem is in attaching a cold punty to the center of the maria, and then pulling the center down to form a cone. When I saw your butterfly from the side it looked to me like you got a nice even pull. Sometimes only half of the face of my punty (8-9 mm rod) sticks to the center of the maria, and then when I pull it down it doesn't come down evenly. Can you advise me? (Isn't this fun?)
Old 2007-06-19, 12:06pm
Booyarashaka

http://www.glassline.net/ ----- Look at the cover.

"Temet Nosce"

Old 2007-06-19, 12:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflameart View Post
http://www.glassline.net/ ----- Look at the cover.
look at that= looks good!
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2007-07-13, 4:44pm
Somethings grow wild

Location: Soulsbyville in California, just down the hill from Yosemite
Default THE FLOW

Hi Ya'll
Anyone see the most recent "The Flow" Magazine? Page 80-83 has Chris Rice's butterfly implosion tutorial.
Great tut Chris! Way to go!
I've tried it before but it's much more clear now, so tomarrow is show time.
Thanks for being there for all of us Chris
Kare
Old 2007-07-13, 5:07pm
CA Queen Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Rice View Post
Here's a pair of goblets I made the other day with some butterfly marbles in them. I would like to do alot more of these, but they don't always move as fast. If I could get off my butt, I would like to market these to wedding couples, or planners, I've just never pursued the idea. One of these days I will get around to it. I make quite a few for people, I can even etch their names and dates into them if they so choose. Too many things to make, not enough time!! Thanks again for looking!
-chris

Fantastic!!!!

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2007-07-18, 6:28am
Flossy-Flossy

*sigh*
I REALLY need to take a marble class.