Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-02-29, 2:21pm

Default 1/4" mandrels?

Does anyone use 1/4" mandrels for their beads? I find that anytime I use a smaller size (I have 3/32" also), the bead release just crumbles off the mandrel and makes a mess of my beads. For some reason, the bigger mandrels work better, so I've continued using them.

But now, I have a whole bunch of 1/4" beads, and I don't know what I can do with them. Most jewelry findings are for smaller bead sizes.

Does anyone else regularly use such large mandrels, and what do you do with your beads afterwards? Thanks!
Old 2008-02-29, 2:41pm
Flame Dame

I sell the beads as large-holed beads. There are some designers that enjoy working with them. They can slip seed beads through them easily. I can't remember whether 1/4 is large enough for a pandora/troll bracelet. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Leah

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy ID: leahbeads
Old 2008-02-29, 2:43pm
sunscreen me baby

I just got some from a woman that says they are large enough for the pandora bracelets. But I don't have one to test it on.

Sell them as big hole beads and mention how nicely they fit on leather or suede cord, silk ribbon etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~

Old 2008-02-29, 2:52pm

Uses for 1/4" mandrels? How about off mandrel work? Or pulling cane?

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2008-02-29, 9:01pm
Mandrel Slayer

They will fit a Biagi bracelet even if lined with a silver core (as long as core is not overly thick). Zooziis 1/4" are great for boro.

Bonny

Nothing right now

What happens in Rockland, stays in Rockland.....
Hellcat, Two M-15s, propane and finally no tanked oxy.
Old 2008-02-29, 9:58pm

Great! Thanks for the info! I was wondering about the Biagi bracelets! I haven't tried off mandrel work yet... that's a thought! I really appreciate the ideas!

Helen