Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-03-18, 9:40pm
Cheesehead Packer lover

Default Finally getting some color

O.K. so I got my new Piranha, and I'm actually getting color instead of haze. My question is how do I use the same torch for soft glass without melting all my stringers into oblivion!!!!!! I used to be able to make cute raised stringer beads with small dots -----but not any more. Can you say frustrated???????
Help...please.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2006-03-19, 2:57am
Save the Numbats

Ha ha!
Hey, are you the Sisters Beads from Wisconsin that has stuff in Woodbury?
No, I can't say frustrated. I've been trying but somehow I can't pronounce it.
Anyway, you can try a lower oxygen pressure... or just turn down the flame, or work farther out. I take it you've been on ahothead or something. It definitely take an adjustment when you start using a torch that has more heat than you need instead of just enough. Also, jumping back and forth between boro and soft glass can be confusing at first.
So: smaller flame. The boro one should be about 3 times as big.
Old 2006-03-19, 4:45am
Cheesehead Packer lover

That would be me. I'm half of Sisters Beads. I was on a minor with 2 concentrators, but this is different. I've tried turning down th 02, and the propane. I really like the pinpoint flame,but I can't seem to find the right place that will allow me to keep a raised stringer.

Cherie
Sisters Beads
Old 2006-03-19, 6:31am
boro color bender

Work out farther in the flame... it's cooler the further you get from the face. It does take some adjusting... but you'll get it.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-03-19, 6:36am
Cheesehead Packer lover

Would swearing help?

Cherie
Sisters Beads
Old 2006-03-19, 6:42am
Satake Woman!

Yes, swearing always helps.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2006-03-19, 7:51am
Cheesehead Packer lover

I will try that today. I know a lot of choice words. Can anyone give me a good yellow opaque idea? I've got an urge for DAP over yellow

Cherie
Sisters Beads
Old 2006-03-19, 12:51pm
Save the Numbats

DAP over anything won't show much of the bottom color.

You might try NS Yellow over yellow, or Millenium Moss is good as well.

So..... hey! I'm doing another demo at Rainbow in May, and I think i'll actually bring the real torch again (last time I was lazy and took the hot head). I hope you two can make it this time!
Old 2006-03-19, 2:07pm
Cheesehead Packer lover

I'll be there. maybe you can teach me something on a "real torch" and I'll get some color in my boro.
I wondered if that was you. Don't worry I could never come up to your quality in hard glass. I love the soft too much.
See you then!!

Cherie
Sisters Beads
Old 2006-03-19, 6:55pm

Cherie, keep playing with your flame. I too have had about 3 weeks on my new Piranha (upgrade from minor torch and 5lpm concentrator), and I can get an awesome, pinpoint flame. Almost looks like a little torch for jewelry work. I just turn down my propane when I'm needing the small flame, then dial it back up.

I've got an M-10 concentrator with this torch.
- Kristy
Old 2006-03-19, 7:53pm
Cheesehead Packer lover

I worked on it all day without screaming. Thanks for the encouragement. I do love the pinpoint flame, I'm just not used to the difference in heat yet.

Cherie
Sisters Beads
Old 2006-03-21, 9:02am
Old enough to know better

Cherie - I'll be swearing too soon (although I have to be careful because my 9 year old gives me a hard time about some of my most favorite words.) I haven't touched soft glass for a month or so, and I'm gonna be crying when I start again since I'm getting so used to all out blasting the glass with heat. Although I'm on a mini cc, I did pick up a tank of oxygen and hooking that up instead of my concentrators is like a torch upgrade!

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-03-21, 6:19pm
Cheesehead Packer lover

I think that's what makes boro so fun. You can cook the crap out of it and it's always a complete suprise---at least to me it is.
I have to force myself to hit the effetre after I play with the boro.

Cherie
Sisters Beads