Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-08-03, 7:01am
Pyromaniac

Default How can I make awesome Boro Skulls?

I was busy trying to think up ideas for halloween pieces, and eventually I thought of skulls (which are more piratey to me than halloweeny but that's just how my mind works). I immediately came up with a couple different possibilities on how to make skulls, including sculpted and dotted skulls, but then I started thinking how cool encased skulls look and I realized I hadn't the slightest idea on how to do that...

At the Gathering I saw a couple different varieties of Skull molds and presses, and I know you can make MacGyver-style molds/presses yourself as well using rings, valve covers etc. How does that press or mold translate into a 3-D skull in a marble/pendant/bead etc? I read a few explanations, but for some reason it's not sinking in. Can anyone go into some detail on this?

I went over to the Melting pot to try reading up a little bit, and apparently there is another technique for encased skulls that sounds intriguing (and looks fantastic), using tubing, fume, then dotting with clear for negative space, backing it with clear shaping...I'm going to have to try that and see what happens...For some reason this technique make sense to me - but it's also pretty much a trademark piece for a certain artist.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy

Last edited by Bunyip; 2009-08-05 at 11:42am.
Old 2009-08-04, 3:26pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

I seem to remember a tutorial in Glassline about using a skull ring to make an impression in boro and wind up with a marble. I recall it saying to be careful not to leave the ring in the boro too long-you don't want the ring to stick or to melt! (I'm pretty sure it was Glassline and not Flow.) I'm on vacation so I can't look through my old issues at home to help out further, but next week I'll check.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-08-05, 4:58am
boro color bender

Skulls probably aren't such a common thing on this board. I've made a few... but not my thing really. One of the Japanese guys brought some to Tucson and his rocked out loud! His were hollow and 3-d sculpted. Wicked stuff.

How are you coming with it? Got any pics?

I still have your key, so PM me your addy and I'll drop it in the mailbox.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-08-05, 5:18am
Pyromaniac

I made one so far - using the fume on tubing & draw with clear method... It is far from perfect - but I learned a lot Example: Do not drop the marble out of the mold and onto the table when you're polishing off the punty mark, especially if you got it pretty warm - because you get a flat spot loaded with glass poop. I also figured out some tricks...No torch time tonight though, it's Mother-In-Law Pacification Evening...

I'm no Bob Snodgrass, but the results were... hmm. What's a good word? Encouraging? I'll post up pix later.

Old 2009-08-05, 6:21pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
One of the Japanese guys brought some to Tucson and his rocked out loud! His were hollow and 3-d sculpted. Wicked stuff.
http://www.glassartists.org/Gal25824..._s_Gallery.asp

Take also makes solid skulls too.

Ebay Auctions
Old 2009-08-05, 6:23pm
product of the universe

metal skull valve stem caps from k-mart work well as a skull press. attach one to a handle and burn out the red plastic in the eyes.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-08-05, 8:17pm
boro color bender

That's him... thanks for the link Josh.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-08-05, 8:25pm
Pyromaniac

I don't know if I said this but I want to make some cool skull marbles / pendants with encased skulls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayes View Post
metal skull valve stem caps from k-mart work well as a skull press. attach one to a handle and burn out the red plastic in the eyes.
so I press an indentation of a skull into the glass and then....see that's where I got lost on the other board Something about filling in the negative space... The fumie skulls I'm pretty much getting. I have such a mental block on the molds and presses - I suppose I should find me a kmart and see if I can just fake my way through the press thing...

Last edited by Bunyip; 2009-08-05 at 8:30pm.
Old 2009-08-05, 10:17pm
product of the universe

press the skull into the glass, fume the indentation then fill it in with clear or a dark color. when you look at it from the other side it will be a skull. Also you can put a layer of dichro down and press that to have a face going up into it. This also works well with soft glass and goldstone as long as its not too thick of a layer.Pretty much any coe glass and a thin layer of color (frit,sparkle colors) or such can be pushed up in. Bonus is you get four skulls in a package and i have yet to burn out the fine details in one. Its getting there though.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-08-05, 11:38pm
Dakine glass man

I can't remember who it was but i saw someone using a pure silver skull as a press (left the fume and a little more there instantly) so you can skip the fuming step......havn't made any myself so i can't say much more

Lampwork by John Lindquist
Old 2009-08-06, 5:19am
Pyromaniac

Thanks, Chris, that was exactly what I needed. K-Mart here I come! I also have some graphite that I may try carving...

Old 2009-08-06, 3:18pm
Pyromaniac

Kmart, Pep Boys, 2 other auto parts stores, big lots, wally world, all I found were plastic skulls...

Old 2009-08-06, 6:08pm
Borovangelist

I wonder if you could use pewter since it won't be in the flame. Some wanna be goth place like Spencers or hot topic might have a keychain that would work.

Edit: These are freakin' expensive, but have a look at the second ones down: http://www.skullmanonline.com/cat/sv-c.html

Maybe try the local harley dealer

edit part two: It occurs to me, you could probably make a couple of badass skulls out of PMC and use them like described above. That way it's unique for you, and you have really cool silver skulls.

|
|

Last edited by menty666; 2009-08-06 at 6:15pm.
Old 2009-08-06, 7:37pm
product of the universe

If i remember right there was someone on this forum selling brass ones.

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-08-06, 7:52pm
Pyromaniac

I think I'll try my hand at carving one out of graphite first - thanks for the tips!

Old 2009-08-06, 8:14pm

Burgaard Studio's used to make the best small Brass skull mold and we couldn't get them until
now they are making the alien, skull, clown and a few others again.
We just got them back in stock at Trev's. This is what it looks like. Trev always said it had good detail.
Attached Images

Last edited by sunray; 2009-08-06 at 8:58pm.
Old 2009-08-10, 8:04pm
Pyromaniac

Check it out Made these with a Flea Market Skull Ring. I'm having trouble with bubbles, anyone have any suggestions? I tried getting a 3mm stringer really soupy hot and smooshing in around details and that seemed to do some good but...not enough...and it leaves seams too. Don't mind the stands, I just grabbed a few out of the bag...

Another one:

Last one for now. This one has red eyes, but otherwise it's transparent all the way around.

Last edited by Bunyip; 2009-08-10 at 8:13pm.
Old 2009-08-10, 8:23pm
product of the universe

Looks good. As for the bubbles you may wanna try a larger gather and push it from one side to the other (top to bottom) of the skull in one motion. Either way its still cool and it looks like the ring does the trick.

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-08-10, 8:33pm
Borovangelist

Pretty sweet!

|
|
Old 2009-08-10, 11:22pm

FWIW, in addition to several different graphite press molds, I carry several sizes of graphite skull push molds:

I can also have any design you want machined in graphite.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2009-08-11, 8:28am
Pyromaniac

I was looking at those at the Gathering in Miami - almost bought one but my funds ran out before my list was finished...but that brings up another good question, about using the press molds - is that the same idea except in reverse or is there another trick to it?

Old 2009-08-11, 12:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
I was looking at those at the Gathering in Miami - almost bought one but my funds ran out before my list was finished...but that brings up another good question, about using the press molds - is that the same idea except in reverse or is there another trick to it?
Let me say right up front that these molds (either male or female) work better with soft glass. Boro is so stiff, it doesn't pick up as much of the detail as soft glass does. Yes, boro can be forced into a mold, but it takes some effort.

To use a female press mold, get your gather very hot. Push it down into the mold, and using a paddle or something, help force the glass down into the mold. Then, you can fume it, decorate it, encase it, reshape it, .... whatever you want.

HTH

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2009-08-16, 12:48am
product of the universe

these are the ones i saw before. http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=129179

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-08-16, 7:44am

I can't find these on your site

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post
FWIW, in addition to several different graphite press molds, I carry several sizes of graphite skull push molds:

I can also have any design you want machined in graphite.

Malcolm

Old 2009-08-16, 6:04pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
I can't find these on your site
They aren't up there. I wrote and asked about it too.

He's got them, they're just on the perennial to-do list.

|
|
Old 2009-08-18, 11:49am
Mandrel Slayer

Chris - I think those are so cool.

Bonny

Nothing right now

What happens in Rockland, stays in Rockland.....
Hellcat, Two M-15s, propane and finally no tanked oxy.
Old 2009-08-18, 12:01pm
Critter Mom

I just ordered a brass one. I think she has 2 more available:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=137521

Last edited by Puddy Tat Glass; 2009-08-18 at 12:04pm.
Old 2009-08-18, 2:34pm
Pyromaniac

Those look like they make OK impressions - but the price? Not so OK. I think I want to try one of malcolm's next.

Old 2009-09-08, 10:34pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

they are really cool marbles! how did you get the scull in there I don't get it...maybe my brain is fried because I have been up all night with my 8 month old who is getting 4 teeth all at once....
Old 2009-09-09, 1:30am
Feminist Killjoy

Wow. This is going on my list of stuff to try. Chris, those are beautiful!