Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-03-15, 3:44pm
In search of her path....

Default Best Release for Boro

Ok so what do you like to use? Do you mix your own or do you buy?

I love foster fire heavy duty but sometimes it flakes a lil for me and that gets frusterating...a combo I found that works really great for me is
1/2 fusion 1/2 foster fire.....

Works WONDERFULLY so far
so what about you?
Karin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Prints for sale in my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Old 2006-03-15, 6:27pm
ManBearPig

I use regular Foster Fire. I think it works better than the heavy duty.

Old 2006-03-16, 2:41am
Save the Numbats

Fusion worked like (to pull out my favorite phrase of the hour) a hell dog on a stick for me.
The Heavy Duty Foster Fire has been great. I also have used that in beginning soft glass mandrel classes, and every one loves it : no beads stuck the the mandrels at all.
I haven't tried normal FF.
I'll try mixing the two.
Then, theres always pancake batter.
Old 2006-03-16, 7:14am

hehe pancake batter! well itworked for yeah didnt it lol

Chad you might try thinning down your heavy duty.... that helps ALOT also even if the release cracks it still holds the bead and stuff my stuff flakes here and there but It hasnt affected my beads coming off or anything....just messy lol. But the flaking really wasa cut down when i mixed the FF with fusion.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-03-16, 7:20am

I am still using my 10 year old container of Sludge Plus from Arrowsprings. The release seems to hold out ok with the boro. Now, if I could just get my 1/16th mandrells to hold out as well. I have burned through 3 of them so far.

Eric
Old 2006-03-16, 7:22am

yeah i cant even used the 1/16ths any more .....I just use 3/32 too frusterating to try and work on something only to loose it bec ause the mandrel burns through

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-03-16, 8:33am
ManBearPig

I never use 1/16 at all. They burn through way too easily.

Old 2006-03-16, 8:40am
Old enough to know better

I've melted a couple of 3/32" mandrels, one at a class, one here at home (yes, my trusty concentrators can even melt mandrels!) Boro is tough on the mandres. I just bought 2 lbs of 3/32" mandrels from Sundance, so I'm all stocked up.

I'm wondering how mixing 2 bead releases that both flake for me (Fusion and Foster Fire) can result in a bead release that doesn't flake. I'm going to give it a try, though, on the basis of your recommendations. Yesterday, I had a lot of problems with the Foster Fire flaking, but even though it was mostly gone on either side of my beads, it still held and later the bead came off with no problems. I'm just worried about flying bits of bead release sticking to the glass. This hasn't happened yet, but I'm sure it will.

I'm not sure there's a bead release out there that can take the extreme heating and cooling that occurs when I make several boro beads on one mandrel. Perhaps I'll limit myself to 2. Prolly better for the mandrels as well!

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-03-16, 9:45am

Make sure you release are mixed VERY well and thin...the thicker they are the more likely they are to pop

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-03-16, 11:51am

I've had great luck mixing Fosterfire and Fusion and also Fosterfire and Sludge! Just be sure they are thin enough! Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-03-16, 7:06pm
Old enough to know better

Thanks for the suggestions. I think maybe it is a bit too thick. I'll thin it out and give it a try.

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-03-18, 3:47am
boro color bender

I used sludge plus for a long long time. Then I just got this Bucket o mudd stuff. It flakes on me more and is thinner. It comes off like a champ and cleans really easily... I just don't like how it flakes off the manrel. I have had it get on my bead... just let it cool a bit and pop it off. That works fine if it isn't melted into the glass, so pay attention. I think I may mix some of my trusty sludge with the new stuff and see what I get. Heck, maybe I'll just go back to Sludge Plus...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-03-18, 4:38am
Save the Numbats

Sludge Plus probably has the coolest name.
Old 2006-03-18, 8:02pm
AKA Vanna

I just started using Alice's. It rarely splinters and comes off quickly. To beat it all, it's gotta be the cheapest release out there. There is only one drawback, you have to mix it yourself. Tip: Buy a mixer and to mix and store in.

Kim's Klub
. Come on, you know you wanna!!

"Mama, I need one of those beads in Elvis Red, Mint and Bubblegum." My Daughter Austyn, age 6 (Future Glass Artist)