Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-05-16, 9:58pm

Default Where to find skeleton keys

Hi all! I was reading a slightly old thread where a couple of people mentioned they had a hard time finding skeleton keys for a reasonable price. I have found them at flea markets & estate sales, but won't pay more than $3 per key.

I just wanted to recommend looking on ebay for skeleton keys. Look for "genuine" or "real vintage" skeleton keys. I got a lot of 20 keys like this for $25...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/17-Genuine-A...item54096237d1

This seller has a great selection of keys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

follow me on Instagram @tinkercreekcreations
Old 2014-05-16, 10:02pm

Oh, but he does have lots that are described as "old look" and I don't believe they are steel. Make sure "genuine" is in the description.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

follow me on Instagram @tinkercreekcreations
Old 2014-05-16, 10:25pm
offically down under

I buy replicas all the time from some guy in Pennsylvania. They are about $1/key and as long as they're steel (rust) they work just fine. I don't see the need to pay a lot seeing that I'm going to put glass on them.

Old 2014-05-17, 6:09am

Tammy,

Does this guy have a web site that you could share the link to? Been looking around and actually love the replicas but was not sure they would work. Thanks!

Ann
Old 2014-05-17, 8:43pm
offically down under

he's on ebay but I can not, for the life of me remember his name and ebay don't store information of purchases for more than 6 months. I'll do some more digging to see if I can find it. As long as the keys will rust, it means they are steel and should work.

Old 2014-05-18, 8:42am
Glass-aholic

Flea markets and tag sales, antique stores and auctions. Many of these places I find are willing to trade a key with a bead on it for a stack of cool keys and the save you keys at good prices when they find them.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: