Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-09-03, 4:24pm
AKA Vanna

Here are mine so far. I will try to get better pictures tomorrow when we have a little more sun.

Dragon Green Frit over Exotic Citrus Grapefruit

Brown Gitter Rod and Clear (These REALLY sparkle!!)

Gypsy Queen rod on some, frit on others

Again...better pictures tomorrow.

Kim's Klub
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Come on, you know you wanna!!

"Mama, I need one of those beads in Elvis Red, Mint and Bubblegum." My Daughter Austyn, age 6 (Future Glass Artist)
Old 2006-09-03, 4:46pm
Flameworker

WOW, you guys are efficient! We weren't expecting results so quickly. And we are quite impressed.
Just to clarify you can use other Momka colors as well. Also the frit isn't mandatory, just for fun. So many of you replied that you use it a lot. Cathy at E Planet donated the frit. -Thanks Cathy.
Fuming is also OK.
Thank you for all your time so much! And great work!
Momka's Glass

Last edited by GirlGlass; 2006-09-03 at 4:52pm.
Old 2006-09-03, 5:21pm
In search of her path....

Ok here are my lil goodies
I am on A GTT Cheetah
Liquid Oxy
Jen Ken Double Tall Annealer w. digital Controller

Ok the first set is a base of clear a thin layer of brown glitter, rolled in gypsy queen frit then encased.

The second set is an assortment the discs are made with the Green Dragon the lighter discs were made with a twisty of green dragon clear and momkas lustrous blue but mostly the green shows up and your barely see the blue. The middle disc is all the green over a lil bit of clear. The two lil spaces are just the brown glitter it goes very dark without a clear base.

The third set is Gypsy queen by itself I layered it upon its self and then did wigwags with dots and melted it down to get the wig waggies I love how they came out though my colors went much more fallish I didnt get the nice bright popping colors like some of you did. But I like what I got.
Karin
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Prints for sale in my
!

Last edited by IF-Designs; 2006-09-03 at 7:25pm.
Old 2006-09-03, 5:34pm
lov'in life!!!

Thanks so much Carrie....I can't WAIT to see what you come up with!!!

The past is history...the future is a mystery...today is a gift...that's why
we call it the "Present".

Old 2006-09-03, 5:57pm
needs to light the torch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwelsh
OMG, I love the brown sparkly seahorse!!!!!!

Old 2006-09-03, 8:00pm
lov'in life!!!

Well, I am on a Cuda with 2 lbs. of natural gas and two oxycons. I did flame strike these beads but I also ramped up, once I was done, to 1100, held for 30 mins. and ramped down.

Brown Glitter on Exotic Grapefruit DOES sound wonderful! I'll have to give it a go tomorrow

Old 2006-09-03, 8:07pm

Ooooooooooeeeeee! These are so gorgeous! It's fun to see what other people do with the same colors, isn't it?
Today's beads from me--

This set was made with a base of Almond Nugget, with overlays in Green Dragon, Ex. Grapefruit, and Magic Mirror accents. It has quite a bit of sparkle not showing in the picture. The Green Dragon is super-smooth to melt, works fast with no reduction. I love it!!

This set is Magic Mirror with large Brown Glitter frit, it's a really nice sparkle effect in the frit.

I like the fast and easy melt of Momka's glass--it's a little less saturated than some brands and I like that for beads. They turn out with lots of sparkle and depth.
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2006-09-03, 8:10pm

I'm on a Cuda as well, with tanked oxygen. I always flame strike my beads and then anneal them at 1050 without kiln striking. That way I don't have to remember to check the kiln striking process (I usually forget and end up with overcooked beads!).
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2006-09-03, 10:07pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

awesome work everyone! I love the glittery brown, it's so versatile, very nice!

Old 2006-09-04, 6:15am
The Venerable Bead

OK here are my experiments. all were made on a midrange with NG and 2 oxys and annealed at 1050 for 2 hours

Pendant 1- the bail is base made with a cane of magic mirror over clear rolled in gypsy queen frit and encased. the implosion is magic mirror dots and the pendant is backed with the gypsy queen rod

Pendant 2- The bail is magic mirror base with green dragon frit and encased. The implosion is green dragon dots and the pendant is backed with purple thunder thinned out with clear.

Pendant 3- The bail is magic mirror with brown glitter frit and encased. The implosion is brown glitter dots and the pendant is backed in almond nugget.
Attached Images

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2006-09-04, 7:24am
lov'in life!!!

Paula, very nice! I didn't know that you were on NG. I would love to ask you some questions about it, if you don't mind.

Old 2006-09-04, 9:14am
The Venerable Bead

thanks Krissa, of course ask anything you want just shoot me a PM

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

Old 2006-09-04, 10:14am
AKA Vanna

Beauuuuuuuuuutiful Paula!!! Everyone's work is just so gorgeous! I want it all!!

Here are mine with better pictures.....and a few more.

Brown Glitter Base & Bail with Exotic Citrus Grapefruit accent/Clear Base with Gypsy accent & Dragon Green bail.

Brown Glitter & Clear

ET Grapefruit with Dragon Green frit & clear

Gypsy rod and frit with clear (Sorry, this picture still bites.....toooooooo mmmmuuuccchhh cllllleeeeaaaarrrr!!!!

Kim's Klub
. Come on, you know you wanna!!

"Mama, I need one of those beads in Elvis Red, Mint and Bubblegum." My Daughter Austyn, age 6 (Future Glass Artist)
Old 2006-09-04, 12:43pm
Shine your bright side!

Here is my first batch of leaves.
I didn't have any other Momka Boro glass since I rarely work in Boro so I just used the test rods and frits and some clear boro.

I love the Gypsy Queen rod and frit. I made one round bead using a base of clear then rolling it in the frit, melting it in and then dotting and diagonal striping with clear using a technique in the Lori Robbins/Ron & Rocio Bearer Boro Recipe book. The Gypsy Queen leaf beads were made either straight from the rod and nothing else or I spun a clear stringer around the initial wound Gypsy Queen bead. I decided the Gypsy Queen can stand on its own and doesn't need much help from clear.
I also made dragon green leaf beads from the rod...love this color too. Very muted. Two of the leaf beads I accented with spun stripes of the brown glitter for some depth. I also made some straight brown glitter leaf beads and also some spun in clear. This is a nice brown glass with hints of glitter. Kinda hard to see if direct light isn't on it. I also did 2 simple clear rounds rolled in dragon green frit with another technique from the Boro Recipe book by Ron, Rocio and Lori. The boro was not a problem on my Pirannah torch. Had the Oxy at 5LPM with propane and the glass melted fast and was great to work with using simple tools such as needle nose pliers, dental tools and glass shears. The beads were annealed at 1050 for about a 60 minute soak, then slowly ramped down which took over 3 hours.

Website!
"When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it." - W. Clement Stone

Last edited by swanseafarm; 2006-09-04 at 12:52pm.
Old 2006-09-04, 2:57pm
Type ZZZ personality

Wow, you guys are getting some fabulous results! I'm itching to get some of the gypsy queen!

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2006-09-04, 3:02pm
McAfee Art Glass

I really like the Dragon so have ordered a pound of it
Bonnie those leaf beads are awsome

Dave

Old 2006-09-04, 3:08pm
Shine your bright side!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltik
I really like the Dragon so have ordered a pound of it
Bonnie those leaf beads are awsome

Dave
Thanks, Dave.
I really like the dragon green too. Can't wait to see what you do with it. Hope you'll post some pictures.

Website!
"When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it." - W. Clement Stone
Old 2006-09-04, 4:34pm

Wow, Paula, you know I was thinking these colors would be great for off-mandrel pendants, especially implosions--and you've sure come up with some beauties! I especially like the effect of the Gypsy Queen used for a backer on the Magic Mirror implosion, very cool!!
Bonnie, those leaf beads are awesome!!! The striped ones just blew me away!
Sure is fun seeing everyone's creations.
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2006-09-04, 4:57pm
Type ZZZ personality

Who has the new Momka colors for sale?

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2006-09-04, 4:57pm
The Venerable Bead

thanks anita. my absolutely favorite backing color for pendants is silver dance. I can't get it to dance on mandrel beads but it's fabulous as a pendant backing!!!

— Audrey Hepburn

Old 2006-09-04, 5:39pm

Patty, ABR Imagery has the new Momka colors. Here's a link-
http://www.dichroicimagery.com/
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2006-09-04, 5:45pm
ManBearPig

You guys are having a lot better luck than I'm having with these new colors. I haven't had any positive results so far. I'll take some pics and post my results tomorrow or Wednesday.

Old 2006-09-04, 7:48pm
senior citizen lampworker

Default glass test

Well I have to say, I'm impressed with Momka glass. I had the same colors as most everyone else; dragon green, brownglitter, and gypsy queen. My first thoughts were, what am I supposed to do with just these three colors, and drab colors at that. But after playing with them for a while I have changed my mind....I love em. I went about my testing a little bit different than most of yall I suspect. I tried to mess up the glass. I use a premix torch (plain ole welding torch) because I like the raging heat it produces. It makes it a bit harder to work and some glasses have a hard time handling the heat. But I found these three colors to work just fine in the harshest of circumstances. I pushed the annealing times and even did some without annealing. And again, these three colors preformed supurbly. Thanks Momka for letting me play with them.
Here are a few photos that survived my tests.
Thanks,
Mike

ps..the most interesting I think is the heat with the brown glitter center. it is encased with clear and then gold fummed.
Attached Images

A YouTube video I made:
Old 2006-09-05, 4:37am
lov'in life!!!

Very cool Mike. I love the fumed heart and the Schnauzer with Gypsy Queen!

Old 2006-09-05, 6:00am

Momka Rod/Frit test for Gypsy Queen, Brown Glitter, and Green Dragon

All work was done on the Lynx center fire of a GTT Delta Elite torch using propane and tanked oxy. All pieces were worked with a Neutral to slightly oxidizing flame. I found that all the colors worked well with no boiling or reduction problems. All work was garaged in a Skutt GM10F kiln at 1000 and annealed at 1050 for 1 hour.

First Picture from Lower Left. (Momka Rod)

1. Gypsy Queen over clear core.
2. Gypsy Queen condensed and clear enacased. (My attempt to wig wag.)
3. Brown Glitter with top of heart gold fumed, dot of clear.
4. Green Dragon, dots of clear.

Second Picture from Lower Left. (Momka Frit)

1. Clear twisted with Sunshine Yellow, Green Dragon, and Brown Glitter frit.
2. Gypsy Queen large frit over a core of Brown Glitter, encased with clear.
3. Green Dragon frit over a clear core, topped with dots of Green Envy.
4. Brown Glitter frit over Sunshine Yellow topped with dots of clear.

Third Picture is a close up of #3 and #4 from First Picture.
Attached Images

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Last edited by e. mort; 2006-09-05 at 6:32am.
Old 2006-09-05, 6:42am
ManBearPig

Hmm... these photos are encouraging. Maybe I'll give these colors another try...

Old 2006-09-05, 7:00am
traumaqueen

=d> =d> =d>

Old 2006-09-05, 7:01am
traumaqueen

my icons don't work!!!!

* aplause aplause aplause*

Old 2006-09-05, 7:12am

I like the colors, but I didn't have a lot of other Momka to work with so my palette was awful limited. I am going to try it with some other brands today, and see where that takes me.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2006-09-05, 7:58am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort
I like the colors, but I didn't have a lot of other Momka to work with so my palette was awful limited. I am going to try it with some other brands today, and see where that takes me.
Same here. I only have a Momka's sample pack to work with. I tried to get my Momka's distributorship, but that hasn't happened yet. I pay so much more for Momka's glass than I do Northstar, Precision, or GA, so I don't buy it unless I have to.