LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2019-06-15, 6:29pm

Default Life on a Hothead without MAPP

I've been scouring the archives, just so ya know. Most posts are over a decade old I have been out of the glass game for a while. My partner is building me a new workstation, and I'm planning on sticking with my Hothead for a while. I have a large cylinder (30#) of MAPP gas left. When that's gone, I'm debating whether to move to propane or propylene 'til I feel the time is right to go dual gas. Has anyone used both on a HH? Which gave you best, cleanest results? Curious about your personal experience in recent years. (I've eliminated MAP-Pro from the equation due to the lack of refilling options.) Thanks for responding!
Old 2019-06-15, 6:43pm

I used bulk propane piped in from a BBQ tank and did well on it for years until I switched to a "grown up" torch. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2019-06-16, 11:29am

I use bulk Propane piped from a BBQ Tank as well. It's a whole lot cheaper than MAPP.
Old 2019-06-16, 3:47pm
Phill

I think I remember reading that MAPP gas is something like 10 or 15% hotter than Propane which is about 15 or 20% hotter than Propylene.

But my memory is not what it once was.
All of them should burn just as clean as long as the tanks are given an hour to settle after being moved / sloshed around.

HotHeads will always require that the bead stay as far back from the torch face as possible to keep from collecting unburnt fuel and soot.
Old 2019-06-19, 9:19pm

Thanks, all! I've gotten the thumbs up on propane from people I trust, too. Thanks for the advice about letting the tank settle. I plan on buying a spanking new BBQ tank; I'm supposing all suppliers are created equal, right? I.e I dont' need to go to a "supplier," I can just refill from Home Depot or whatever.
Old 2019-06-20, 7:57pm
Alaska Boro

With an new empty tank check on the cost of having it purged prior to filling. Cost perhaps in the $3 to $5 range. Then so much per gallon for the fill.

Filling can be done at most any location offering propane tank filling services. Used to use Holiday gas stations as they are open 24/7. Now use natural gas so no midnight runs required.
Old 2019-06-21, 8:49am
Phill

I think the big box stores are only doing tank swaps these days and they are ok as long as you let them settle and don't slosh them around for an hour before use.

I know that you won't leave the BBQ tank in your home when you are not actually torching but as long as you are sedate when moving the tank to reach the torch you shouldn't have any issues with gunk in the tanks getting into the torch.

Oh and don't forget to make sure your hose is labeled "type T".
Some of the welding torch hoses are not made to work with propane and will chemically decompose and clog your torch with gummy junk that will clog up a hot head torch which isn't worth getting cleaned and cost you a pretty penny to send a two gas torch back to the maker to have it cleaned.

Tags
hothead, propane, propylene