Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-02-25, 9:41am

Default EEEEK! Gelly and BE???

I made some beads yesterday...when I used up one rod I went for another...the second rod had a label!!!!!!!!!! that was the EEEK!

I was using BE fuchsia and GELLY PINK.... I figured that the beads would all be
in pieces but when they came out of the kiln....

they weren't!

now I did a quick search and found a post by Tink that said they make it in different coe's??????

am I nuts? ok lets not go there...

so all the beads are fine after sitting over night...they have been cleaned...wait I have a number on the gelly STY CO904 511904

so please help me out I generally spray paint the ends of the glass when I get it to keep it all straight...this wasn't painted...but next to my BE...
I can't remember things from 5 minutes ago so last year is way beyond any memory that I have...

I have been melting two rods together and laying them on top of the kiln if I have any doubts...that is a quick way to find out if they are compatible...

sigh...
so what is the scoop please

Beads galore at my ebay store!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Minor with a REGALIA heavenly!
Old 2008-02-25, 10:15am
They see me rollin'...

Well, I hate to be there bearer of bad news, but they are not compatible. The Gelly pink is 104 coe and Bullseye is 90 coe. They may hold together temporarily, but unfortunately it is just a matter of time.

But--how much of each did you use? If you used less than 15% of one of them they may last longer. I would not sell them under any circumstances, though!

It's a shame--I bet they are pretty!!

-Patti

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Patti
Old 2008-02-25, 10:18am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Just wait a couple of days-weeks... they will break cause like Patti said, bullseye and cim are incompatible

Old 2008-02-25, 10:19am
They see me rollin'...

Ok, whah happened? There are 2 threads...no wonder I'm confused!

-Patti
Old 2008-02-25, 3:39pm

OK so it turns out that the COE differences are too great to put BE and the gelly together...I was messaged with significant info...so I conducted an experiment...
NOw the beads I made had very small percentages of one glass in each of the beads ...
so that is probably why..........

when I wrapped them up in a wash cloth and put them in freezer for 30 minutes...and then THREW them down on the kitchen floor

There was absolutely no breakage...but...again in all the beads...the amount of the incompatible glass is very small...

but BE is 90 and Gelly is ? 95? I cant remember what they told me but...in general they should not be used together...it was a quirk of fate that I managed to make beads that used one another in very small ratios to one another...
again here is the photo...very small amounts of one type of glass in all the beads

Beads galore at my ebay store!

Minor with a REGALIA heavenly!

Last edited by !ngridh; 2008-02-25 at 3:43pm. Reason: more significant info
Old 2008-02-25, 4:01pm
Looking for my waistline

OOoo...If the Gelly Pink is not a true 104, you might have a chance for survival! I freezer test mine for at least a couple of days. Once I forgot I'd put two mandrels with stuck beads in the freezer. I found them about five months later and those babies just slid right off those mandrels!
Old 2008-02-25, 4:20pm
AKA: Noodlesaurus

You can place them in the freezer( make sure you put them in a bag or container) overnight and in the am pull them out and If they are going to crack you'll find out as they wram up to room temp. I do this with all my beads after they are cleaned just in case.
Oh, just read post above mine, Great for stuck beads as well!!

or
,~Punties, Mandrels,Beads.....GTT Phantom....