Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-03-17, 1:28pm

Default graphite?

does anyone have any clue where the best place to buy Graphite is? I'd love to make some tools myself and just don't seem to be able to find a good source for the graphite.

Thanks

Rob.
Old 2008-03-17, 2:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
does anyone have any clue where the best place to buy Graphite is? I'd love to make some tools myself and just don't seem to be able to find a good source for the graphite.

Thanks

Rob.
Which grade of graphite? There are so many different grades of graphite, unless you get yours from a reputable supplier, you may not really know what you're getting. Some grades are just awful for glassworking tools.

So, what size do you want? What shape? How much? I sell rods and plates. If you want something else, I can ask my graphite machine shop if they have any drops (leftovers).

Malcolm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2008-03-17, 6:31pm

I'd like a good grade of course. I'd like about 2 inches thick at max. and I'm not so fussy as to have a size it "has" to be. just sizes where I can do some machining on it and turn out some "tools" of my own. I suppose that would mean at least 2 inches square. I could see making an "optic mold" with a piece 2"x2"x1"

I'm really not in a position to be too fussy about whats available. I did find a place that sells high grade graphite in plates and rods and they don't sound like I could do as much deep machining as I would like to.

Thanks For checking for me.

Rob.
Old 2008-03-24, 4:48pm

Over on another forum is this message.. I have bought from him before and its a good place to get reasonable graphite.
Just email him for sizes you want and he'll quote you a price
Hope that helps

Know someone with more then 3000 POUNDS OF GRAPHITE. He needs to sell as much as he can before April 5th cause he is moving. He is in Derry NH and email is SPDNH@aol.com
Old 2008-03-24, 6:02pm
boro color bender

http://cgi.ebay.com/SOLID-GRAPHITE-B...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/GRAPHITE-EDM-BLO...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Solid-Poco-Graph...QQcmdZViewItem

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-03-31, 10:04pm

definitely contact the guy in NH, his name is steve and he shipped my graphite out quick as anything. its all good quality. its not so much specific sizes he was doing but he sells it in odds by the pound. if you just wanted a little bit i can sell you some out of what i got at a real good price.
i also got a huge chunk of graphite from a friend thats a scientific blower, they had a bunch of ENORMOUS graphite reamers for some stuff they were doin on a lathe- so u mite wanna check around like that and see if u can find any.
Old 2015-08-11, 12:10am

high purity graphite most comes from china,and the price is reasonable
,graphite machining.
.email:
Tel: +86-400-996 1105. Mobile phone: +86 139 3756 8001
Old 2015-08-11, 3:33am
Phill

Welcome to our community of glass melting artists XRDCARBON.

The two links you posted lead to the same website and I did not find a path for retail or consumer level research or shopping.
If you can teach us about the various grades available with information about the working methods and characteristics such as hardness and how much dust is created during shaping and what kind of personal safety equipment would be needed for creating with graphite it would be greatly appreciated.

The forum moderators may also ask you to post some information in the sections that have a focus on marketing and sales.

Any instructions you can tell us about graphite would probably be very welcome in our tutorial sections as well.
Old 2015-08-11, 5:41am

This is an old thread but I have found the best graphite tools are already made at a good price. Considering how messy, dirty, and unhealthy working on shaping graphite can be, buying already made is the best way. Weaver industries will do special orders at great prices too.....
http://www.weaverglassarttools.com/ourtoollines.html

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2015-08-11, 10:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedslug View Post
Welcome to our community of glass melting artists XRDCARBON.

The two links you posted lead to the same website and I did not find a path for retail or consumer level research or shopping.
If you can teach us about the various grades available with information about the working methods and characteristics such as hardness and how much dust is created during shaping and what kind of personal safety equipment would be needed for creating with graphite it would be greatly appreciated.

The forum moderators may also ask you to post some information in the sections that have a focus on marketing and sales.

Any instructions you can tell us about graphite would probably be very welcome in our tutorial sections as well.
thanks,i will share what i know,and i will enjoy the community
i share my first thread, http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...32#post4780732 ,hope it helps!
,graphite machining.
.email:
Tel: +86-400-996 1105. Mobile phone: +86 139 3756 8001