Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2005-08-30, 8:21am

Default Loops for pendants

Hello, I am new to the group, but I have loved your tutorials so decided I
needed to join you all.
I just got a minor burner and am dying to make pendants, any good tutorials would be much appreciated. I can't keep the bead warm enough not to break and cannot do the loop at all!!! Driving me crazy!
Thanks, I look forward to being part of the group.
Deby
Old 2005-08-30, 8:55am
Back from the Dark Side

Hi Deby and welcome to LE! The best way I have found to do a loop is to make a small bead on a mandrel and put it in the kiln. Make your off-mandrel pendant, then (while wearing gloves!!) pull the bead out of the kiln and reintroduce it into the flame. Remember to keep your pendant warm too! Then heat one side of the bead, heat a spot on the pendant, and attatch. Voila...loop on pendant!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
Steal List - 48, 50, 60, 32, and 29 for now
Old 2005-08-30, 9:20am
Virginia Beach, VA

welcome deby! need any help email jeff and he'll be glad to help you out! sandra

Old 2005-08-30, 10:39am
Boldly going

Does your kiln have a small front side flip up door?

Many of life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. - Thomas Edison

|
|
|
Old 2005-08-30, 11:31am
Safety ALWAYS

You can also punty up the pendant, then you don't have to get your hands warm (or wear gloves).

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-08-30, 3:27pm
Metallic Flame Studios

also look at my Poopy Loopy Tuttie and see if that helps and/or makes any sense to help make loops....

to anyone who is good at making loops, please review it too and let me know what you think!

thx,

stacy

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2005-09-02, 12:12am

I make a simple donut bead/basic round bead and put it in the kiln. I make my pendant and when it's on the rod, I just pull the little bead out, heat it in the flame immediately so it doesn't crack, then I heat where I'm joining to the pendant, then push them together. Then I melt the pendant off the rod, or pop it off the punty, depending how I made the pendant...I find this is much easier for me then trying to fuss with a loop from scratch on an already made bead...

My Daughter and Husband Wrote a book.

The Car Catch-all...the most useful non-lampworking item ever!
Old 2005-09-02, 8:32am

Right now the kiln has a lift off top, but I am going to have a flip door put on soon hopefully. Thank you all for your replys, I broke my hand and wrist so unless I can figure out a way to prevent setting the old cast on fire, my bead making is probably on hold for a bit.
Old 2005-09-25, 5:50am
Moving On

THANK YOU for this suggestion!!!! I finally have managed to implode some pendants, and thought I might just have to be making cabachons instead of pendants. Pati Walton did teach us to make sort of a barrel shaped blob on the back of the pendant, then drill through it with a heated tungsten pick. I really didn't think it could/would work for me, but I did it in June...The question is...can I do it again, or should I go for the pre-made bead? LIking the premade technique!!!