Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-06-05, 9:24am

Default 104 vs 90?

I'm a beginner that's only worked with Bullseye COE 90 so far. I've had some COE 104 rods arrive in the mail, and I'm ready to try working with it on my Hot Head. Does anyone one have any tips or knowledge to share with a newbie? Will there be much difference between working with the 104 instead of the 90?

Squeeee! New glass!

Judy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

That's why I'm learning to make Beads of Courage
Old 2013-06-05, 12:57pm

I too started on a hot head using only Bullseye. I have since started using soft(er) glass as well - maybe for the last 3 years. I think that the biggest difference is the glass will melt easier- saving you time. One thing I learned is not to waste money on COE 104"striking" glass when using a hot head - I couldn't get the glass hot enough till I got a oxygen/propane torch. Also - mark the COE on your rods (you won't be sorry). The best reason to use COE 104 is so you can play with Double Helix reducing glass with your Hot Head. Core your bead with cheap clear and then encase with Clio - you'll love it.
Old 2013-06-05, 1:07pm

Most Bullseye is a little stiffer and will take longer to melt on a Hot Head. The slower melting can give you more control when you're starting out and that can be a good thing! To see what I mean, try making a small bead out of BE black, then make the same size bead out of Effetre black (or any 2 similar colors in the different brands). Bullseye also has a nice range of colors to choose from. I'm sure you know to do this, but remember to keep the rods separated.

Have fun!

Mimi
Old 2013-06-05, 5:55pm
Echo's Mother

The BE being stiffer is true to an extent. Some BE colors are just as soft as 104. I bounce back and forth between the two with no problems. I keep then stored at opposite ends of the garage and always put my left-overs back where they belong at the end of the session.
Old 2013-06-05, 6:14pm

Thanks for all the tips! My 90 and 104 have their own separate homes for sure! And thanks for the suggestion about the Double Helix. I saw some Double Helix beads on one of the show and tell threads and they were beautiful!

Since I'll need to batch anneal the beads, do the finished beads need to be kept separate for different annealing schedules too? I'm praying for no wind in the morning so I can play with some of the 104.

Judy

That's why I'm learning to make Beads of Courage

Last edited by jcs in satx; 2013-06-05 at 6:16pm.
Old 2013-06-08, 10:39am
dances with ideas...

Judy, I've always annealed 90 and 104 using the same schedule. Have fun!

Old 2013-06-08, 10:52am
Loving learning

Judy, just remember that BOC beads with Double Helix have to be encased, so the metals in it don't come in contact with the kids.
It sure is beautiful glass, but maybe keep most of those for yourself