No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-12-25, 3:20am

Default Choosing Kiln

Hi!
I got a pleasant problem. Hubby gave me a bead annealing kiln as a christmasgift. Now I have to choose the kiln and I would like your advice. Tell me anything you think I should think about when buying my first kiln (brand, size, features, cost, anything/everything else)

There are a few things I know I want
- Bead door
- Work for bead annealing, glass fusing and silver clay
- Service/spareparts avaliable

Happy hollidays =)
Old 2013-12-25, 4:19am

Contact Mike and Pamm. They can build one to order. And are wonderful folks also. The Glasshive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

_

Last edited by beachbeads; 2013-12-25 at 5:25pm.
Old 2013-12-25, 8:40am

Get one from Glass Hive. Mike makes wonderful kilns and Pam provides customer service that is second to none.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-12-25, 8:45am
Dix Harrison

I just recently completed a compilation of information on kilns for research.

I put everything on a spreadsheet so I could easily compare features.

I chose to research these features because they were most important to me:

Vendor
Kiln Name
Manufacturer
Model Number
Max Temp
Amps
Watts
Breaker
Wire Sz
Volts
Controller Type
Weight
Exterior Dimensions
Chamber Dimensions
Kiln Price
Shipping Cost
Total Price
Notes or Special Features

I chose to sort by vendor because some vendors carry more than one manufacturer and model, and I was shopping for the best price--delivered. I only considered kilns with a bead door, so that was not a feature I included in the spreadsheet.
Old 2013-12-25, 12:01pm
one day at a time

Never mind all the other brands out there. Go with the Glass Hive kiln. I don't even own one yet, I have a Paragon. But when I'm ready to get another, I'm going with a Glass Hive. I have been a member of the glass community since 2002 and have read countless posts over the years on the excellent quality of the kilns and the wonderful customer service. You will also have many kilns to chose from and they do custom orders. Almost forgot, they have a very flexible payment plan (layaway).
Old 2013-12-25, 12:57pm

glass Hive does a good job, I've got one of Mike's kilns and like it a lot. It's mostly firebrick and is well made. I use it for soft glass and boro.

I also have a Skutt GM10 with a bead door on it that is great if you are doing a number of tasks which require different programs. It goes up to 1800 degrees max and can hold at least 6 different programs for soft glass, boro, clay,etc. It's also firebrick.

Both run on household current and depending on the model you might choose from Glass Hive the price points are similar. From there it really depends on wht your budget is and what you plan to do with the kiln.

Robert
Old 2013-12-25, 2:31pm
tweetysweetie

I own three kilns from the Glasshive...top quality, top notch service and guarantee...you can't go wrong....they have great models to choose from or Mike can build one to specs...Glasshive is the bestest. Congrats on your new gifty...

Old 2013-12-25, 2:36pm

Thank you all! I will consider Glasshive though I think it will be very expensive since they are not found in Europe. I believe the tax and the freightcost will probably be as much as the kiln itself. The good word you put in ways a lot though considering that service is a one of my "must haves".

kansassky: Thanx for the sugestion about a spreadsheet and the list with features. I will do that.

Last edited by Maqea; 2013-12-25 at 2:38pm.
Old 2013-12-25, 3:39pm
I'm meeeeelting

Do you know what brands are available in Europe? It may be more helpful to you if you post that information so people can tell you what they know about those brands or particular kilns within those brands that would work for what you want to do.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2013-12-25, 3:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maqea View Post
Thank you all! I will consider Glasshive though I think it will be very expensive since they are not found in Europe. I believe the tax and the freightcost will probably be as much as the kiln itself. The good word you put in ways a lot though considering that service is a one of my "must haves".

kansassky: Thanx for the sugestion about a spreadsheet and the list with features. I will do that.
Hi Magea, I thought this might be helpful. I am from the Boston area in the US and have been a member on LE for years. I am also a member on a forum I found in England that has great people like LE does, with you beeing on that side of the world they may be able to help you more.
Here is the link:

http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/

Merry Christmas:
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-12-27, 10:20am

Felicia - I did not say anything about where I was from at first because I wanted to know about your first choise first and not adjusted to me beeing from europe. =)
Second I am not shure about all brands of kilns there are so therefore I asked here at LE to learn more before I buy a kiln.
Right now Im looking at a Paragon SC2 with beaddoor but maybe there are better and cheaper kilns somewhere I dont know about.

Bob - I have asked the same question at Frit-Happens =). There are a whole section about kils at FritHappens and Im working my way through that info. Thanx for the sugestion though.
Old 2013-12-27, 11:53am

Without a doubt you can't go wrong with a Glass Hive kiln.
Old 2013-12-27, 11:59am
one day at a time

If your concern about the Glass Hive kiln is the cost of shipping from the US, then you should PM Mike or Pam. I'm sure they would be glad to give you an estimate of the shipping costs to your country. As for the additional cost of customs fees, you would have to find that out on your own.
Old 2013-12-28, 7:45pm
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

We get them there for right around 225.00.

Mike

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2014-03-01, 2:42pm
HI-DEE-HO!

Wink

Just ordered my first kiln! Regular Guy Tall with Double Hinge Doors from The Glass Hive.
The reputation of the company is excellent and I like the fact that this is made in the USA by real glass people.

Old 2014-03-02, 12:11pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

I've had my Arrow Springs AF99 forever. Digital controller. Love it. Craig is wonderfully patient with questions or problems and he has been making these for years and years. He even talked me through creating a custom annealing program.

Last edited by FosterFire; 2014-03-06 at 6:34am.
Old 2014-03-02, 4:29pm
offically down under

I have a Glasshive that Mike and Pam made to Aussie current (220) and it came beautifully boxed and delivered. All I had to do was attach an Aussie plug.

Do to my love to push buttons, I accidentally reset the preset program. Pam, patiently talked me through reprogramming the machine.

I love my Glasshive and it was a great choice.