Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-05-05, 8:37am
And silence is golden

Default Effetre Opalino Carnelian. In quest of resurrecting this discontinued glass.

It has been brought to my attention that Effetre Opalino Carnelian has been discontinued. WHAT?!! After having a brief discussion with Rachelle, we have come to the conclusion that a petition must be started in order to get this glass back into production. If anyone has any inside information as to whether Effetre has plans of marketing this glass under a new name, please chime in. I'm posting a picture of some beads made with the carnelian. Please feel free to post pictures of your beads made with this gorgeous glass.

Also help us get a message to our vendors by posting your interest here, so they can approach Effetre with a request to put this glass back into production. Thank you!

Old 2014-05-05, 8:42am

looking for the "loke" button for this thread!
here is another example of this amazing glass and I NEED more!
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ebay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

website New shop on website!

New Etsy shop!
Old 2014-05-05, 8:42am

sorry for the huge in your face picture!

ebay

website New shop on website!

New Etsy shop!
Old 2014-05-05, 8:46am
And silence is golden

No Problem, Rachelle! I am still in such awe, that you can get an apricot color from this glass!
Old 2014-05-05, 9:10am

The body and head of this dragon was done with this glass. Although it is a pathetic attempt at a Moth dragon from the tut, I LOVE the range of colors you can get. I have about a pound of it that I am hoarding and hoping they bring it back.
Old 2014-05-05, 10:20am

That is sad news. I loved that color. Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2014-05-05, 10:26am
And silence is golden

Beatrix92, Your dragon still resembles one! He's pretty cool! It does show the capabilities of this color.

Paula, I was checking various vendors to see if anyone started selling it again. You were next on my list!
Old 2014-05-05, 10:44am
Glass-aholic

I love it! its neat with silver glass too!
here it is with terra (orig batch frit)

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-05-05, 12:23pm
And silence is golden

Jaci, looks like a Monet painting!
Old 2014-05-05, 3:25pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I don't know why they bring in new colors that are just a shade or two different that what we already have...but take away colors we don't have anything like.
Why do we need *Sand*, really? It looks like regular ivory to me.

I like carnelian. I used to use it to make flowers with when I made floral beads. Love the variation in color on the dragon bead Beatrix.

Last edited by zen-mom; 2014-05-05 at 3:27pm. Reason: clarification
Old 2014-05-05, 3:40pm
Ad astra per aspera

Noooo! I adore Carnelian. Work it gently (or really overheat it) and it will stay that nice pinkish-creamy color. Work it vigorously but attentively and you get that delicious watermelon-ish color. It spot heats, it reacts with some of the silvers, and it's just plain fun. This must not go away! I have a nice stash of it, but I can't imagine it not being available.

Old 2014-05-05, 3:43pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Hoard what you have...

Old 2014-05-05, 4:03pm

thanks, Donna!
Old 2014-05-05, 5:06pm

Did anyone ask Mike Frantz to ask them? That's the only opalino that I like. I was looking for some almost 2 years ago and it was super scarce even then. I was able to get a bit from members here, no suppliers had it.

Old 2014-05-05, 5:11pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I did... I sold the last of mine a few months ago.

Old 2014-05-05, 5:48pm

I am usually lurking and admiring all of your beautiful beads, but this is sad news. It is such a beautiful color. One of my favorites. Now I feel like I can't use the rods I have. Must move those over to the "Hoard Pile".

Here is a set I finished the other day. Simple, but I love all of the shades you can get with this glass. Hopefully I upload the picture correctly... first time posting one!

Old 2014-05-05, 5:52pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Nice Dayna! I really had no idea it did all that. Dang it. Now I'm kicking myself for not keeping any for myself!

Old 2014-05-05, 5:54pm

Lovely beads, Dayna., as are all of the carnelian beads in this thread. I never had much luck with it, sadly.

Mimi
Old 2014-05-05, 6:20pm
Peerless Thread Killer

I love Carnelian and was very unhappy to find that this glass has been discontinued. I'll try to post a pic of what I've done with it. Hopefully, Effetre will listen and re-make this color.

Old 2014-05-05, 7:30pm
And silence is golden

Karen Sherwood, Just the thought of Carnelian no longer being available is disturbing.

Dayna, You certainly managed to get just about every hue imaginable out of that glass! Very nice!

Donna, I have always known that Carnelian had a lot of tricks up it's sleeve!

Miss Nina Eagle, Your beads are nothing short of phenomenal! I'm looking forward to seeing what you post, using this glass.
Old 2014-05-05, 7:51pm
Slogan Challenged...

Dayna, that's lovely!!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-05-05, 8:45pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

That is one of my favorite glass colors. I don't have images handy, but will try to take some this week. Makes the most glowing planet marbles.

I has a big sad about the end of this color. I hope it makes a comeback or I am going to have to buy a stash where I can find it.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2014-05-05, 9:54pm

Carnelian is a beautiful glass and I'm very sorry to see it go. I would love to be able to buy more.

Georgia
Old 2014-05-05, 10:17pm
yukue fumei

I love this glass--so much can be done with it….I hope Effetre decides to do a limited run instead of discontinuing it….

nagi

Old 2014-05-06, 12:20am
and your little dog too

Angry

Old 2014-05-06, 11:35am

LOL- Steve Carell is awesome!

Thanks for the compliments! I watched an episode of "Hoarders" last night and started to relate with my glass a little bit. That can't be good! I've decided to use it all up and when its gone, its gone. It will be sad though.

Old 2014-05-07, 6:53am

I wish I knew how to link threads but it looks like they are making more!!!

Check in the Sale Rack under the "Ask Mikey" thread (Maybe someone could link it for me?). He says they will be making more carnelian next time they do opalinos. They just ran out of the materials to make it. Burn away!!!

Old 2014-05-07, 7:30am
Ready to hit the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
Why do we need *Sand*, really? It looks like regular ivory to me.
They can charge premium prices for 'new' colors.

Old 2014-05-07, 7:45am
And silence is golden

WOW, Dayna! That's terrific news. I didn't know that Mike had his own special 'column' here on LE. That'll come in handy! I guess I've been away too long. I just copied the article to save time for those interested in this particular issue.

Originally Posted by jzbloom View Post
There is a rumor that carnelian is being discontinued....say it ain't so!

Mike's reply: "It ain't so. It is true that Effetre has no carnelian (591536) for sale at this time. Inventory ran out and the ingredients to produce this color are hard to find. There is not a huge demand for Opalino, so its production is not as often and as large as other colors. I do have word from the factory that the next time Effetre produces Opalino, they will produce carnelian. As soon as I know when it will be produced, I will post right here on "ASK MIKEY". In about two weeks I will be in Italy and will be looking through inventories to find new tonalities and some old ones that we are all looking for, such as light Ivory to just mention one.

I am going there with samples of all the coral I have and look for new tonalities of coral. Yes, we always need more corals!" < The original poster on the coral was inquiring about "transparent coral". Hope that something comes up on that! >

"Thank You for ordering glass from Frantz Art Glass. Your purchases allow us to look through the archives and find very nice colors or allows us to order new colors and bring them to our customers.

Life is Good
Glass is Great

Thank You
Mike Frantz"
Old 2014-05-08, 12:03pm

The Carnelian in the rose phase is a lovely glass, and I'm sorry to read that it's not a priority at Effetre.

But what I really pine for is the Carnelian in the rust phase!

Twenty years ago, the rusty color is what came through when one ordered Carnelian. Then, when I ordered Carnelian around 2006, what I got was rose! I didn't even realize there was a rose carnelian. It's pretty and all, but I wanted that lovely opalino rust!

If I find any pics of the rust color I'll post later...