Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-07-08, 10:23pm
Loving learning

Default Raised Dots: do most people like them?

I'm just curious. I know I don't make perfect dots yet, but it seems like nobody in my family is too impressed with raised dots. They like them fine if I melt them in, but raised - not so much.

I like to leave them raised sometimes for BOC because I read a mom's comment about her daughter being blinded by a brain tumor, and liking to feel the texture of some of her beads, but maybe I shouldn't do it often.

I'm curious to see if it is just my family or if raised dots are something that bead makers are impressed by but not the average person. My other thought is that maybe it is my color choices, which could be it on occasion, but hopefully not all the time!
Old 2012-07-08, 10:39pm

I love raised dots, but I am addicted to texture!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-07-08, 10:59pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Eileen, I think that is a great question. I can tell you in my experience of a little over six years, dots were the first thing I could do fairly well and I really enjoy doing them. I usually give bead jewelry for gifts for my friends and family. My daughter hates the melted in and loves raised. My other daughter as well as my bff hate raised dots. Another friend told me never give her raised dots because they look like tits!! So every one wants what they like!
Old 2012-07-08, 11:07pm
Unmedicated since '62

i love them, i love the tactile feeling of them - my husband hates them, he likes all my other beads but if i make raised dots no matter how pretty the colours or precise the pattern he goes blah

but i love them

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-07-09, 3:41am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
i love them, i love the tactile feeling of them - my husband hates them, he likes all my other beads but if i make raised dots no matter how pretty the colours or precise the pattern he goes blah

but i love them
Yup, everyone loves them except my husband...
Old 2012-07-09, 3:54am
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

I am not a fan of raised dots, even though I make them from time to time (mainly plunged silver glass dots.
But for my own jewelry, I don't use them.
They are normally selling well, so I guess there is a big part of buyers that like them.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2012-07-09, 4:42am
Formerly FishBulb

I love dots of all stripes (ha!). I've had buyers comment on raised dots as though they were something awesome -- a lot of buyers seem to like tactile features on their beads.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2012-07-09, 5:31am
Loving learning

Interesting! Seems like people like them or they don't, not much middle ground.
One particular bead my husband told me it looked like measles!
Old 2012-07-09, 6:04am
Lampworkaholic!

Some do, some don't. Make what you love.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-07-09, 6:07am
Resident hippie

I like them DH does not!

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2012-07-09, 6:13am
Loving learning

I have to admit I just mostly like looking at the beads, were little jewelry, but I do make them still for the fun. I just think it's interesting how people are "ooo, I love these", or "eww, I don't like these bumps"
Old 2012-07-09, 6:29am
sunscreen me baby

They don't make me quiver, but I certainly use them as a design element. I'm a middle of the roader dot person

~

Old 2012-07-09, 6:55am

I like other peoples, but I usually just feel compelled to melt in all of mine. Not sure why. I am trying to get over it!
Old 2012-07-09, 7:06am

I am working on my dots and find raised dots more of a challenge, therefore I make them! I happen to like raised dots.

DH hates them.

SRA #C88

Old 2012-07-09, 7:09am
randomly active member

I go both ways ... but can't help feeling like my beads that don't have raised dots are just a little bit nekkid
.:.

Old 2012-07-09, 7:14am
uncouthful cats

I'm not crazy about small bumpy beads, although I do like dots incorporated into the design of an organic bead. That said, I have several larger dot beads in my collection & a couple of large BHBs that are favorites of mine to wear on a chain because of the wonderful colors of the beads, & because such dot precision, both in size & spacing, is utterly awesome.

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2012-07-09, 7:40am
Loving learning

Interesting how so may DHs don't like them!
Old 2012-07-09, 10:45am
Bigger, longer, and uncut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
Some do, some don't. Make what you love.
Bingo!

I make bumpy beads because I like to. I find that lots of my customers like them. Some really love them! My DH happens to like them, too. Sheesh, I've never had anyone recoil from them.

Right now I'm headed to the studio to make more bumpy beads for three shows coming up in the next few months. They are one of two particular styles I make that sell very well.

Old 2012-07-09, 11:02am

I love them, my husband hates them. But, he dose not buy my beads, so I make them.

Jo
Old 2012-07-09, 11:28am
Marble Lover

I don't like them. One of the 2 beads I've made has raised dots and my wife liked them.

-BEP
Old 2012-07-09, 11:32am
The Harbinger of Cuteness

I love other people's raised dots (and raised textures of all kinds), but mine always turn out looking like pimples.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-07-09, 11:36am

I enjoy them in symmetry, not just randomly placed. I also love them when they can magnify what is underneath (storm technique).

If I am using them as a highlight color, I will usually stack them and melt them in completely.

So?..............Both?

Barbara

Barbara
Old 2012-07-09, 12:33pm
The Andrea Half

I do not often do dots, as I was dot challenged until I started middle-dipping my mandrels, and I wasn't that motivated because, in general, I think dots look too fussy. However, I really wanted to learn dots this summer just to improve my overall skillset--improvement in one area usually results in a major jump in others. What this has to do with your question is that I have a lot of beads with dots ... some raised, some not ... in my show display this summer, and at my last bead show two regular customers came in within twenty minute of each other. One was highly critical of the raised dot beads, telling me that she thought they looked "cheap" and "like every other beadmaker's out there, and she came to me for different beads." The other one fell out over my raised dot beads, and thought they were the best thing ever.

So basically, there is my anecdote to contribute to the "It's individual taste" chorus, and to say that having both raised and melted-in dots means that there's something for everyone except for the terminally dyspeptic or picky.

Old 2012-07-09, 12:38pm
Loving learning

Thank you for all the viewpoints. I do want to make clear that I was just curious, since I look at them and think "wow, what good control the beadmaker had, and how evenly spaced and beautifully designed" or similar and it makes me scratch my head when I get a "wrinkled nose" reaction. I wondered if it was just the specific group who has seen my beads, or more of a general population that had the polar opposite reaction to them.
Old 2012-07-09, 8:01pm
Unmedicated since '62

i obsess a bit with carefully placed dots, if they're not perfect they look like crap - either place them randomly on purpose or channell KL and make them perfect, anything in between just looks sloppy...hence the reason i have a bucketfull of dot beads on my desk

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-07-09, 10:28pm
Glass Addict

I have to admit that I like "bumpy" tactile dots that are well placed and spaced. I use them on ALL of my "doodle beads" (the pieces I goof off on for BOC and when I'm tired of sculpting stuff).

I also use them for my Octopus tentacle suction-cups....
Attached Images

Old 2012-07-09, 10:32pm
Loving learning

Joy if I could make something like your octopus bead, even DH would like them. He actually tells people about you when talk of melting glass comes up with friends!
Old 2012-07-10, 6:50am

Joy, I love your octopus beads & the bumps on your Goddesses are to die for.
Kerry
Old 2012-07-10, 7:17am
Glass-aholic

raised dots do not have to be patterned or uniform. I often use clear to make bubbles on the surface of beads to catch some of the color and magnify it, or put an air bubble in it, and use a lot, or just 2 or 3 to accent the bead. There are some examples in my gallery on my blog. Very seldom do I do geometric raised dots, but I do lots of raised dots in general

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-07-10, 9:11am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Love, love the octopi beads, WO
PJH

ETA - I mostly don't care for raised dots or dots in general I guess, but then I see Larry Scott's work or some of the other peeps who do them and I can't help but admire and appreciate to skill and talent that went into them.

Whatever floats your boat