Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-09-27, 9:10pm

Unhappy improper ventilation issue?

I wonder whether or not one would wear a mask when using the silvered glasses? I do have a ventilation fan that my DH installed (which might be too strong...it is 1200 cfm) and I work in a 30 x 30 x 32 galvinized steel box that my husband had a company make for us.

I have not had many torching sessions as I haven't felt too great after torching and working with soft glass. My mouth feels really dry and I have been getting really wheezy at times ( I don't notice the tight chest/wheezy feeling when I am torching, it is usually after I am done and come upstairs and I start to cough alittle).

My DH had installed an 8 inch insulated duct from one of the rear windows that comes into the back corner of my workroom. When I started complaining about having a dry mouth and feeling wheezy he installed an inline fan in the middle of the duct.

Tonight was the first night that I have torched since he installed it and I didn't seem to get the dry mouth/wheezy feeling. The room is in the basement and it is approx 10 x 12 feet.

Your experienced thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Donna
Old 2007-09-28, 8:06am
Gentleman of Leisure

Let's see if I got this right... You have 1200cfm fan in exhaust duct going from hood to outside.... Calculations figure that you need about 800cfm to be safe according to face opening dimensions of hood you have....

By adding a fan powered fresh air inlet your breathing problem symptoms seem to have gone away....

I would venture a guess that your 1200 cfm fan and duct work is not working effectively for you. Or your make air source was not sufficient.

I would venture to guess just by opening the window across room would have been enough to provide sufficient make up air. The duct work and inline fan is probably just adds expense and are not providing the efficiency in ventilation you are experiencing.

If you are getting a full 1200 cfm movement of air through hood system then it is drawing 1200 cfm through your make up air source. If you make air source will not flow 1200cfm that is your problem.

Also to consider if you have gas appliances in basement such as hot water heater and gas furnace, these appliances require air flow through their exhaust systems too... IF you makeup air source is not sufficient you can pull the exhaust gases backwards through these appliances and into your studio area and actually create that very condition you are trying to avoid. You make up air needs to supply correct volume for torch/hood AND these gas appliances.

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-09-28, 8:47am

There is only one window in the basement room that I am in. My DH had two other basement windows open, but that did not help and that is why he decided to try the inline fan. I wonder if I should just get a smaller vent fan. I will try to take a picture of my set up this weekend to see if you notice anything that we have setup incorrectly. I appreciate your response!! Thanks Dale!
Donna
Old 2007-09-28, 8:56am
Ad astra per aspera

Dale has the ventilation thing going on, but I wanted to comment about the dry mouth part. Do you keep water with you and take regular drinks? Torches and kilns generate a LOT of heat and between the flame and the airflow, you end up with some pretty dry air. Good hydration is very important!

Also, speaking only for myself, when I'm working intently on some kind of detail, I tend to become a mouth-breather. It's not something I noticed until DH made a comment, but it's true. I have a large, insulated, covered mug with a straw on my workbench at all times, and take regular sips. It helps a bunch and it's just plain good 'artist maintenance.'