Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2011-11-10, 10:56pm
Denise

Default The Prism Effect tutorial

My tutorial is now available to purchase on Etsy. The price is US25. The details below are pasted from my Etsy listing.

I have been creating beads using this effect for a few years now and after many requests for a tutorial, I am pleased to offer my Prism Effect tutorial for sale.

This tutorial is more than step-by-step instructions. Included in this tutorial you will get step-by-step instructions to make two beads. The first bead is really a pilot to help you learn the technique, while the second bead is one of my favourites for you to make and enjoy (pictured in the first image). Following the step-by-step instuctions, I have included a section with technical information, variations, a gallery of beads made using this effect and take-to-the-torch summary sheets for both beads. With the information provided, I expect many of you will be able to build on what I have written to develop your own, unique beads.

This tutorial is for use with 104coe glass. The glass needed is readily available. No special tools are required.

This tutorial is aimed at the intermediate to expert lampworker who has experience in advanced heat control and a good understanding of how glass reacts, both with each other and under heat. I have not tried this technique on a hothead, so cannot vouch for whether it will give the same results. It does require heat control so I am not recommending this technique for hotheads.

Once I receive your payment, I will email the tutorial to you as a PDF file within 24 hours (probably quicker but please note I may be in another time zone). The size of the file is 1.89 MB, it is 25 pages and contains about 60 colour images. Please ensure you include the email address you want it sent to if not the one you use for Paypal.

If you decide to purchase this tutorial, I have no problems with you making beads to sell, but do ask that you don’t distribute the tutorial. Due to the nature of an E-book, I do not offer a refund.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-11-10, 11:14pm
HelenC

Talking

Hi Denise

I ordered mine
But I still don't have a studio to melt in
Maybe by Christmas.
Thanks for sharing this technique.

Cheers
Helen
Old 2011-11-10, 11:43pm
Denise

Helen, I hope you get your studio soon. I have sent the tutorial, enjoy!

Old 2011-11-11, 12:04am
offically down under

Whilst I haven't had a chance to get on the torch yet, I have read through the tutorial and it is fantastic. The language is very clear and the photos help visualize each step of the process. Thanks for a great tutorial!

Old 2011-11-11, 2:01pm

Sweet.

Karen
Volkano Exotik

ripzz
Old 2011-11-11, 7:23pm
Who me?

Congrats on your first tutorial. It's a jewel and very innovative. Great pics and easy to understand instruction.....and best of all....everyone probably has all they need for this in their studio. A new way to use familiar glass.

Thanks.
Old 2011-11-11, 10:59pm
Denise

Thankyou. I appreciate your comments

Old 2011-11-12, 1:23am
I speak Murrini!

Wow! I just love the look of these!!! I'm on a Hot Head though...and you mention in your Etsy listing you're not sure how well it will work on the old HH. I'm seriously considering getting it just to try though...

Oh, the temptation!!!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-11-12, 1:34am

Couldn't resist, thanks for sharing. Janet
Old 2011-11-12, 1:51am
Denise

Thanks Janet, I've just sent it.

It's been years since I was on a hothead, I'm really not sure. It does take a fair bit of heat to get the effect, but if anyone can do it, I think you can DeAnne. If you'd like to pm me you email adddress, I'll send it to you and if it works and you feel it's worth the cost you can pay for it then.

Old 2011-11-12, 5:17am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKS View Post
Thanks Janet, I've just sent it.

It's been years since I was on a hothead, I'm really not sure. It does take a fair bit of heat to get the effect, but if anyone can do it, I think you can DeAnne. If you'd like to pm me you email adddress, I'll send it to you and if it works and you feel it's worth the cost you can pay for it then.
That is so great of you. <3
Old 2011-11-13, 7:28pm
kathy L

Thank Denise,
The tutorial is great,Can't wait to try it!!!

Kathy
Old 2011-11-14, 9:48pm
I speak Murrini!

Denise, thank you so very much for your extremely kind, generous gesture...and your expressed faith in me!

I've been crazy busy but will go check this Tutorial out right now! I probably won't have a chance to even give it a try until this upcoming weekend, but I will surely keep you - and everyone - posted on how I do with it!

I feel like it's Christmas already!

Hugs to you, and thank you again!
De

Old 2011-11-14, 10:13pm
I speak Murrini!

O...M...G!!! Just read it through and through - and I have to say I've never seen anything like it! I have what it takes - well, the colors at least - and will surely be dreaming about this until I can finally try it out! I have a couple questions that I'll PM you Denise to keep the magic suspenseful!

I just can't believe how awesome this whole concept is, and thanks so much for sharing your discovery with us! I have seen it said many a time that "nothing is new in glass" and that just about everything done these days has been done before, years if not decades ago. This technique, I suspect, steps out of that genre! Congrats!

Old 2011-11-15, 12:36am
offically down under

I can not WAIT for my kiln to ramp down. This might be the night that I get out of bed in the middle of the night 'cause I'm so darned excited to see the results. These beads were so much fun to make and I'll post the photos in the morning.

Old 2011-11-15, 1:53am
Denise

De, I've sent you an email.

Tammy, I'm so glad you had fun and can't wait to see the results.

Old 2011-11-15, 10:42am

Can't wait for mine the.

Karen
Volkano Exotik

ripzz
Old 2011-11-15, 2:15pm
Denise

Thanks Karen.

All tutorials have now been sent.

Old 2011-11-15, 4:13pm
Moving On

Absolutely fantastic! I'm really impressed. Thanks so much!--Gail

Old 2011-11-15, 7:29pm

Made one,she's in the kiln,should be interesting when i
open the kiln in the morning...don't you love that.

Karen
Volkano Exotik

ripzz
Old 2011-11-15, 11:15pm
Denise

Yes, it's so much easier to get out of bed when there's something in the kiln.

Old 2011-11-20, 11:26am
I speak Murrini!

Giving this thread a bumpity-boo...wondering if anyone has pictures of their results?

Old 2011-11-20, 5:16pm
offically down under

I would love to post but I'm afraid of possibly giving too much away. While the tutorial is very clear on how to achieve the effect, sadly, I'm afraid, it's user error. It is a great tutorial that is very concise and my last couple of attempts gave me the light bulb moment.

Old 2011-11-21, 12:10am
offically down under

Please don't laugh as it is not nearly as good as Denise's but it's not too bad for my first week of making this bead. It is very much a technical bead which make the challenge even more fun.
Attached Images

Old 2011-11-21, 12:32am
I speak Murrini!

Oh, Tammy...it's AWESOME!!!! Yay...success for you! I'm still working on it...

Old 2011-11-21, 10:19am

Way to go Tammy.I'm going to practice this again today.
My windows are a little small,but ppp.

Karen
Volkano Exotik

ripzz
Old 2011-11-21, 2:08pm
Denise

As I said on our Aussie forum Tammy, I think it's fabulous, I can't wait to see where you take it.

I'd love to see more pic's if anyone has them and if anyone's having trouble, you're more than welcome to email me, I'll do my best to help.

Old 2011-11-25, 7:19pm

Great Tutorial!
Here is my first bead I did from it a few days ago. Not great but ok for the first. Windows were a bit cloudy in places.

I do know I need to adjust the size of glass used when creating the windows.

I made a few more today. I think they did a bit better. I made smaller sized beads than this one. I'm anxious to see how they turned out.

Old 2011-11-26, 1:51am
Denise

That's great for your first go Joyce. I look forward to seeing your later attempts.

Old 2011-11-29, 6:07pm
Glassy Broad :-)

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
I've been a fan of these beads and think I might add this to my SS wish list LOL!!!
So pretty, and so different!! Definitely keepers!!!!

Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!