Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-05-20, 6:52am
Junior Mint

Default Bright Electric Blue over Trans. Pale Aqua...

Is this possible?

Is there any glass out there that will render these results? I am working on a special project that I think this would look really great on.

So far I've tried Nyx, Terra, Gaia, Kronos, Olympia Rain, Iris Light Blue, Silver Blue and Silver Green... Sometimes I get a bright blue, but it's not opaque enough for what I want, and it also only does it in patches.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my stuff on
Old 2008-05-20, 8:16am
Who me?

Try Lauscha wedgewood. It looks blah in rod form but heats up to a translucent electric blue and seem sto stay that way.
Old 2008-05-20, 8:18am
No Problem!

Kronos perhaps?
Unless you just went for something like Moretti Lapis blue, tho it's not what I would call electric..

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2008-05-20, 8:19am
Who me?

here ya go...... Wedgewood
Attached Images

Old 2008-05-20, 11:40am
Junior Mint

I might even have some of that wedgewood, I'll have to check...

I don't imagine it has any matallic capabilities at all?

And do you know if it loses its opacity when pulled into thin stringers?

Sure is pretty, nonetheless.

Thanks!

my stuff on
Old 2008-05-20, 2:12pm
Floral Obsessed

What about just a periwinkle, sky blue or white stringer thinly cased in cobalt transparent, or in "intense blue" medium-dark cobalt transparent?

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons
Old 2008-05-20, 4:02pm
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather/Ericaceae View Post
What about just a periwinkle, sky blue or white stringer thinly cased in cobalt transparent, or in "intense blue" medium-dark cobalt transparent?
I actually tried that, but was looking for a more vivid, bright color than what I got. I wouldn't mind a metallic finish, as long as it was bright electric blue.

my stuff on
Old 2008-05-21, 3:46am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlightdesigns View Post
I might even have some of that wedgewood, I'll have to check...

I don't imagine it has any matallic capabilities at all?

And do you know if it loses its opacity when pulled into thin stringers?

Sure is pretty, nonetheless.

Thanks!
Yes, when pulled into a stringer it goes transparent to translucent.
Old 2008-05-21, 4:41am
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
Drat. I definitely need something opaque...

If I was any good at stringer control, which I'm not, I would lay down an opaque color and then lay Gaia on top of it. I'd use a base that Gaia likes. Gaia does not like transparent pale aqua.

I have tried encasing a few different colors with Gaia, but that doesn't work. the edges get fuzzy and Gaia only gets opaque in spots...

I'll keep trying though!

my stuff on
Old 2008-05-21, 7:34am

What about taking a rod of any dark opaque blue (like, say cobalt) & encasing it with the streaky saphire or the regular saphire or the moretti intense blue & then pulling yourself a new encased cane from that to use as stringer? Would that make the color you want? The opaque inside would make it "solid" & the transparent outside would make it "bright electric".
~luna

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-05-21, 10:37am
Junior Mint

Hi everybody,

Gosh, I really appreciate your trying to help... I really, really do.... but I think I need to show a picture of what it is I want. I was this:

but instead of being on an opaque color, I want it on trans. pale aqua. This was Gaia, I think, but obviously it reacts to the color underneath, because when I put it on trans. pale aqua, it stays transparent, no matter what I do.

my stuff on
Old 2008-05-21, 10:38am
Who me?

Quote:
Hi everybody,

Gosh, I really appreciate your trying to help... I really, really do.... but I think I need to show a picture of what it is I want. I was this:

but instead of being on an opaque color, I want it on trans. pale aqua. This was Gaia, I think, but obviously it reacts to the color underneath, because when I put it on trans. pale aqua, it stays transparent, no matter what I do.

Nyx gave me that look on trans pale blue.
Old 2008-05-21, 10:39am
Who me?

here's nyx over trans pale blue.
Attached Images

Old 2008-05-21, 11:46am

Quote:
Many of the Lauscha glasses can be 'struck' back to opaque when they go transparent. Wedgewood blue as well as some of the opaque whites and pinks work this way. ~Juliet

...overlooking Mill Creek on the Chesapeake Bay...
Old 2008-05-21, 2:25pm
Junior Mint

Quote:
here's nyx over trans pale blue.
Oh, wow, I want that!

Trouble is, I must not know what I'm doing. I tried Nyx and it looked BLAH!

How do you work it to get that result?

Thank you!

my stuff on
Old 2008-05-21, 3:54pm

I would also suggest TAG Cezanne (a cobalt-purple reactive 104 that can "mirror-up".) It's transparent in the rod but can become opaque once the metal in it is reduced.
Old 2008-05-21, 5:38pm
Who me?

Quote:
Oh, wow, I want that!

Trouble is, I must not know what I'm doing. I tried Nyx and it looked BLAH!

How do you work it to get that result?

Thank you!
Nyx has done that for me on every transparent that I have made with it. This was just raked stringer melted in and flashed in a reduction flame. I suppose if it were applied thicker it would be a little more opaque. I'm just too frugal to use a lot of it.

Glad you like it. I can't believe your pic was terra - I've never been able to get it that blue consistently.
Old 2008-05-21, 5:46pm

I've found that transparent pale aqua neutralizes a lot of the silver colors. How about encasing it in a thin layer of clear to keep the Gaia from reacting to it?

Old 2008-05-21, 9:31pm

I bet the Taxco Silver that TAG just put out would do that--or at least something close to it (maybe with a few rainbows thrown in)--it seems really mirror-y.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-05-21, 9:35pm

Oh that Taxco Silver is yummy..
How about encasing an opaque blue with Cezanne or whatever blue you think it is and then it won't turn transparent on your bead. Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-05-22, 5:40am

I drool every time I see a pix of that Taxco Silver...don't have any....sigh...it looks gorgeous!

Old 2008-05-22, 5:48am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramdas View Post
I've found that transparent pale aqua neutralizes a lot of the silver colors. How about encasing it in a thin layer of clear to keep the Gaia from reacting to it?

Or encase with a thin layer of pale trans blue over pale aqua. This is a neat trick to get the reactions you want. I have even encased black with rubino so I'd get the copper green and turquoise separation on a black looking base.
Old 2008-05-22, 7:16am

DH has a new glass called Triton - this may work for you - the color is absolutely beautiful! Very electric blue in color is the metallic sheen that you referred to - and I think it plays nice with your trans colors...worth a try!
Old 2008-05-22, 10:48am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
I bet the Taxco Silver that TAG just put out would do that--or at least something close to it (maybe with a few rainbows thrown in)--it seems really mirror-y.
Yeah, but Taxco is still transparent turquoise, though. You'd get the mirror effect, but if you held it to the light you'd see right through it. Like mylar! For that opacity you'd get better, darker results from our Cezanne.
Old 2008-05-22, 3:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
Yeah, but Taxco is still transparent turquoise, though. You'd get the mirror effect, but if you held it to the light you'd see right through it. Like mylar! For that opacity you'd get better, darker results from our Cezanne.

I'm an IDIOT!!
(and YOU need to put the website link in your tag line!!!)
I totally blank on who you are when you post !! Here I am guessing @ colors (which I've not tried ) & you've already given the exact answer they need.
I'm soooo embarrassed!

~luna

Old 2008-05-22, 3:20pm

hahaha. She is their Stealth Weapon!!

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-05-22, 7:13pm
Junior Mint

Quote:
Nyx has done that for me on every transparent that I have made with it. This was just raked stringer melted in and flashed in a reduction flame. I suppose if it were applied thicker it would be a little more opaque. I'm just too frugal to use a lot of it.

Glad you like it. I can't believe your pic was terra - I've never been able to get it that blue consistently.
When you say "flashed" do you mean split second flash or bathe it in just a little bit. Do you wait until the stringer is glowing red or ??? Also, how big a reduction flame, a short mild one or a long full blown reduction flame or somewhere in between?

Thanks!!!

Hugs,

my stuff on
Old 2008-05-22, 7:15pm
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramdas View Post

Ahhhh. Now THIS is a good idea! I was gonna do that anyway, as I am finding that the aquas wind up pitting after a while, from all the working with it.

Anyway, I tried your suggestion this afternoon. I'll let you know how it went.

Hugs,

my stuff on
Old 2008-05-22, 7:18pm
Junior Mint

And oh yes, I agree, Firebrand Beads DOES need to put a website link in your signature.

I'd like to visit your site and check out your glass!!! Please?

Hugs,

my stuff on
Old 2008-05-23, 3:39am
Who me?

Quote:
When you say "flashed" do you mean split second flash or bathe it in just a little bit. Do you wait until the stringer is glowing red or ??? Also, how big a reduction flame, a short mild one or a long full blown reduction flame or somewhere in between?

Thanks!!!

Hugs,
I'm on a Bobcat and one oxycon. Most of the time I am working in a neutral to oxy rich flame. When I reduce, I leave the propane at the same setting and turn back my oxy until I have candles 2-3 inches long. I hold the bead in the middle of the candles. Nyx seems to want to silver around the edges on trans blue even without reduction. I did not get the stringer back to glowing.