Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2009-03-02, 11:11am

Just an fyi on the "canned air" (I'm a former aerosol chemist)

It's not canned air or Nitrogen, but is usually a blend of either 134a (the stuff now used in air conditioners) or 152a and DME (dimethyl ether). I mention this because unless it's 100% 134a, the vapors can accumulate since they are heavier than air and be flammable, even if it only says "contents under pressure" on the can, due to the labeling rules.

When dme burns, the flame is invisible, so just don't do this next to your water heater!

If the valve on the aeorosl can is the same as the valve on the dusters, you could use those cans as well.

Mary
Old 2009-03-02, 11:59am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass addict View Post
Just an fyi on the "canned air" (I'm a former aerosol chemist)

It's not canned air or Nitrogen, but is usually a blend of either 134a (the stuff now used in air conditioners) or 152a and DME (dimethyl ether). I mention this because unless it's 100% 134a, the vapors can accumulate since they are heavier than air and be flammable, even if it only says "contents under pressure" on the can, due to the labeling rules.

When dme burns, the flame is invisible, so just don't do this next to your water heater!

If the valve on the aeorosl can is the same as the valve on the dusters, you could use those cans as well.

Mary
Hey Mary~~~

Interesting! I think it's always good to remind people to be cautious and safe!

FYI - Here is the spec direct from Armour on the product Moth used...it does say "Non-flammable" in the description, but it does not specify what the chem make up of the product is. In addition, depending on how "leak proof" your cabinet may or may not be, it's prolly not a horrible idea to use one of those cheap "dust masks" you can get at Home Depot just to be safe, too!

Here's the Armour link:
http://www.armourproducts.com/item--...--70-9001.html

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-03-02, 1:32pm
Mary Lockwood

Yes, definitely wear a mask!!! I would wear a mask even if I couldn't detect anything coming from the cabinet. I don't trust this sandblasting business. I'm already having trouble with my lungs I don't need to complicate it by taking unnecessary risks.

Nothing is worth ruining your only set of lungs...wear a good mask.

Oh, and about the propellant...here is the information from the back of the can:

Contents: 1,1,1,2 Tetrafluoroethane (CAS 811-97-2)
Contents under pressure. Do not puncture or incinerate container. Exposure to heat or prolonged exposure to sun may cause bursting. Do not expose to heat or store at temperature above 120 degrees F. Vapor reduces oxygen available for breathing. May cause eye and skin irritation. Direct exposure may cause frost bite effect on eyes and skin.

Use with adequate ventilation. Do not breathe vapors. Ensure fresh air entry during use. Avoid contact with eyes, skin and clothing. Wash hands thoroughly after handling.

It also says somewhere in the instructions not to spray the can while it is upside down because the liquid that shoots out can freeze your skin on contact.

Hope that helps!

~~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-03-02, 2:09pm
Sucks at being nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
It also says somewhere in the instructions not to spray the can while it is upside down because the liquid that shoots out can freeze your skin on contact.

Hope that helps!

~~Mary
Isn't that how they get rid of warts these days? That could be redneck doctoring at it's finest! Who wants to be the first to try?

Old 2009-03-02, 3:02pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinwelch View Post
Isn't that how they get rid of warts these days? That could be redneck doctoring at it's finest! Who wants to be the first to try?
After you, my dear!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-03-02, 3:04pm
Sucks at being nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
After you, my dear!

De
Darn, I don't have any warts to try it on.

Old 2009-03-02, 5:17pm
"Maybe it's a tumor"

Mary
How creative. It makes the perfect branch for your lovely bird.
Carol
Old 2009-03-03, 9:18pm

Mary, amazingly creative! I think that you should mass manufacture those! But i must say that i think the name should be the Beverly Hillbillies Blasting Box. Oh, and don't forget duct tape comes in all sorts of colors, so you could charge more for custom color combos! Shit, people could order them to match their Crickets!!!

- 20% off for LE members!

[size="3"]Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. - Dale Carnegie
Old 2009-03-03, 10:31pm

The 1,1,1,2-tetraflouroethane is also known as 134a and is nonflammable, so that's good news! (152a is less expensive, but more flammable, and is often used in aerosol products as a less expensive replacement, often in combination with dimethyl ether)

As for the warts.... the liquid has a very low boiling point, so it probably would freeze off a wart.

Sorry for all the chem-speak!

Mary
Old 2009-03-04, 8:11am
Mary Lockwood

Mary, no need to apologize for the chem-speak. Knowledge is power!

Glad this is useful. There is a photo of a similar box setup inside the pamphlet that comes with the etching kit, but it doesn't have the fancy sock sleeves. LOL

~~Mary

Old 2009-03-05, 7:40pm
yes, llamas...and ducks

Location: Langley, BC, Canada, North America, Northern Hemisphere, Earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
McGyver's got nothing on you!
Hahahaha!! Here, here!

Flaming on a Minor with concentrator.

Old 2009-03-05, 8:48pm
Formerly FishBulb

That's very ingenious! You should pat yourself on the back for this one. It looks just excellent!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2009-03-24, 12:54pm
Floral Obsessed

Very cool and ingenious test-run. I hope you can get it connected to the compressor! The air canisters do sound uneconomical, but the little grit-holder seems perfect for occasional small-scale blasting. I think you can get a lot of use out of your blasting box - maybe add another window for better light?
I love how your display branch turned out and your little robin is perfect!!!

You are cool. Cheers - Heather

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons
Old 2009-03-24, 2:32pm

Way cool. That would be perfect to display mu humming bird beads. How cool is that. I was using a branch for that. Thanks . As always Lovies Mary