Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2005-09-01, 1:01pm
Formerly Travelin'gal

Default How to use Murrini Tutorial

Basically the way I use cane:

1) I cut twice the number of murrini I think I'm gonna need (I'm constantly dropping the little buggers, cracking them, smearing, etc. always have extra). I cut 'em about 1/8 inch thick. Smaller and they tend to distort when I heat them and larger and they're just a waste.

2) Put them on the torch marver to keep them warm. If they're shocky I'll keep them in the kiln to warm them up.

3) Find the right tweesers. Ok what ya want: you want tweesers big enough to hold the chip without it moving around, but small enough so you can heat the butt of the chip without heating the tweesers too much.

4) Heat the murrini up in the back flame. You just want it hot on it's bottom. Just kinda glowing. NOT so hot that it sticks to the tweesers.

5) Heat the spot on the bead where you want the chip.

6) Gently place the murrini on the bead. Press it ever so slightly so it's in good contact with the bead. It'll kinda mushroom down ever so slightly. If you push too much it'll smear. If not enough it'll pop off when you go to reheat everything.

There are three different ways I use to set the murrini:

A) You can use a stringer of you're bead color to encase around the murrini. You want to get rid of the "L" between the murrini and the bead. Heat up a stringer of your bead color and encase around or up to the murrini. You want to build up the bead to the level of the murrini. If you get too much color around the chip it will close in on the chip and make it smaller. If you don't get enough around the chip the chip will settle down and look a little smeary. If you're gonna heat everything up now heat very slowly. Heating it all up now will make for a very nice effect as the chip will be level with your bead. See Deanna's witches for a really nice use of this effect.

B)OK, so you're not quite to the level of heating it up as in A. While you've got the surrounding area built up you're just really not sure it's to the correct level. Now put a blob of clear right on top of your murrini. This will help it combat the surrounding bead and not get over taken. It will also make a nice window effect. You end up looking into the clear to see the murrini. This can also make for a really nice dimentional effect. "Look deep into my bead...."

C)OK, so you're thinking: That's all really nice Greg, but jeeze! Don't ya have anything a little, you know, easier? OK, use anything for your base, put the murrini on as above. Now encase around the chip in clear, put clear on top of the chip, build up in clear. This really shows off the murrini and has the least smearing or overtaking as everything around the chip is clear.

The biggest trick to using murrini is to not over heat it. If the bead (and hense the murrini) moves, you know, sags, droops, etc, the detail in the murrini's a gonner.

It really just takes a little guts and practice (wow Deanna really hates it when I tell her stuff like that!).

The above is only how I use murrini. There are other methods as well, but this has always worked best for me. I do use moderatly sized murrini. So the plunge and snap method doesn't work so well for me (murrini too big). If Fay feels like chiming in here her method maybe very interesting as a counter point to mine, as her murrini are really quite large compared to mine.

Hope this is clear and helps. If not please ask and I'll try to clarify.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
~
~
~
~

Last edited by ChaseDesigns; 2005-09-01 at 1:04pm.
Old 2005-09-01, 2:22pm
Satake Woman!

Thanks bunches!!!

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2005-09-01, 2:45pm
Boheme Flamework Designs

Can't wait to try this - Thanks Greg & Deanna

Deb Cline
Old 2005-09-01, 3:54pm
Pink-tini anyone?

Thanks Greg! This is a great tutorial and your murrini is fabulous!

Old 2005-09-02, 7:17pm
Metallic Flame Studios

and I have cane coming!!!!

Yipee, I can play with Greg chips.....

I have another way I usually add SMALL murrini that includes preheating them on torch top marver or other warm area, heat gather of clear just a bit bigger than the murrini, smash small maria on the end, reheat clear but not all the way to "gather" again, smash ONTO murrini chip, then take gather and murrini and add on to bead... this leaves the window of "deep into my bead" effect also and is easier for ME than tweezers... I always end up getting them too hot. The other way I use is the plunge and snap one right off of the cane, but this is for small murrini cane, as you said.

Stacy (who is getting the kewlest LT cane!) I'll show pics after I put it into a pendant for me!!!

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2005-09-05, 6:50am
Carpe Beadum

Thanks for that great tutorial *smiles* I can't wait to use the cane I bought!

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung
Old 2005-09-05, 10:04am
Stress Cracked

My murrini always smear like heck - these techniques should help! Thanks!
In an Emergency.

Emily Dickinson
Old 2023-10-14, 4:08am

Smile

Thank you, I love your explanations. I'm going to try all three
Old 2023-10-14, 1:14pm
Dazed and Confused

Wow, I'm literally just going in to the garage to make some 96 milliefiore!

I cut them thick, and use them like color rod for glassblowing. Ie. heating them up in the annealer, and then transferring them to a pipe - where I'll blow a bubble through them and have the pattern all through the piece.