LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2010-01-09, 8:07pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Okay that is why I am confused. I am on a hothead so maybe someone with a hothead can pipe in here to tell me how to do it?

Sorry for hijacking my own thread. Back to florals lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie lynne View Post
I turn off my torch (but I'm using a minor), turn off my propane, come back down open my propane valve at the torch re-ignite it and let it burn the excess fuel out of the lines. Then turn off my torch valve again and shut my wall valves. (I have it piped thru a wall so there are shut offs on either side of the wall as well.) Basically there is "unspent" fuel in your lines and you need to get it out or it gets yucky.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-09, 8:08pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Ohhhhhhhhh , okay good I am glad you caught that. It is in the details for sure. See I would of been making them incorrectly. Everything goes so quickly while watching someone on a torch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenone View Post
I just noticed, but two of the steps are mixed up near the beginning. I made the black barrel, the added the vine cane, then let it get pointy on the ends before I encased it. It's a little detail, but I think it's important

Old 2010-01-09, 8:20pm

If you are on a hothead using a propane tank, you would turn off the propane tank and let the torch continue to burn until the flame is out - this is how you burn off the fuel left in the hose. Be sure to turn off the hothead knob after flame is out.

If you are on one pound tanks, you have no hoses to worry about.
BTW, go back and read my addition to my post on page 5 about your encasing.
Old 2010-01-09, 8:33pm
Jacqueline Parkes

OKAY PEOPLE I AM TOO EXCITED FOR WORDS. I thought I would try one more floral before bed and it WORKED, IT WORKED IT WORKED IT WORKED!

Melanie solved my issues. I was not encasing after the vines. And I also was not pushing the clear glass to the mandrel enough.

I am beyond excited.............

And thanks for the directions for bleeding the hoses with a hothead. I was doing it right then, when I bothered to. I will get back in good habits.

Omg I need to go tell the world that I can make encased florals lol

Old 2010-01-09, 8:52pm
Formerly FishBulb

Yay! I'm glad it worked for you!

Thanks for posting these pics, and thank you to Melanie for providing your expertise.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-01-09, 10:39pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
OKAY PEOPLE I AM TOO EXCITED FOR WORDS. I thought I would try one more floral before bed and it WORKED, IT WORKED IT WORKED IT WORKED!

Melanie solved my issues. I was not encasing after the vines. And I also was not pushing the clear glass to the mandrel enough.

I am beyond excited.............

And thanks for the directions for bleeding the hoses with a hothead. I was doing it right then, when I bothered to. I will get back in good habits.

Omg I need to go tell the world that I can make encased florals lol
I'm smiling from ear to ear! What a wonderful and exciting learning day you had. And you know what? I'm so glad you found that you just COULDN'T RESIST going back into your studio and doing just one more...and succeeding! I suspect you'll have an amazingly restful night - and floral dreams for sure!

I must give a special cyber-hug to Melanie. What a wonderful, kind spirit! To help out like this...smooch!

I will for sure be checking this thread tomorrow - I'd love to see the new, improved bead!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-01-09, 10:46pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Also............I have realized this evening that I have been fighting a very difficult battle trying to make encased florals on a hothead with Bullseye. I am nuts? lol

I will be upgrading as soon as possible. When I tried to make a floral with moretti tonight, it was a whole new ball game.

Btw, I have an important question. Is it possible to purchase 2mm clear stringers from Moretti that do NOT HAVE bubbles in it?

I can encase like a dream with the stringers but the stringers are full of bubbles.

Old 2010-01-09, 10:58pm
I like to melt things

Quote:
Btw, I have an important question. Is it possible to purchase 2mm clear stringers from Moretti that do NOT HAVE bubbles in it?

I can encase like a dream with the stringers but the stringers are full of bubbles.
I don't think so... but I don't see any reason why you can't buy good clear and pull your own stringers from that to encase. Pulling stringer doesn't take all that long, really.

I'm so glad I was able to help you Jacqueline!

Thanks for the hug, De

-
-
Old 2010-01-09, 11:01pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Well whenever I pull stringers they are either too thin or too short. Again a hothead issue as I don't get enough glass melted to being with I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenone View Post
I don't think so... but I don't see any reason why you can't buy good clear and pull your own stringers from that to encase. Pulling stringer doesn't take all that long, really.

I'm so glad I was able to help you Jacqueline!

Thanks for the hug, De

Old 2010-01-09, 11:52pm
I need more boro stuff

Quote:
Also............I have realized this evening that I have been fighting a very difficult battle trying to make encased florals on a hothead with Bullseye. I am nuts? lol

I started with BE on HH as well. That was the main reason why I use dot encasing for my encasing floral instead of round the world style. Faster and thinner encasing.

Old 2010-01-09, 11:53pm
Jacqueline Parkes

You did not end up with gaps when doing that?>

Maybe I will give it a try in the morning....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubnavnania View Post
I started with BE on HH as well. That was the main reason why I use dot encasing for my encasing floral instead of round the world style. Faster and thinner encasing.

Old 2010-01-09, 11:54pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Omg , these are beautiful!

http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction...on_id=21356208

Quote:

Old 2010-01-10, 2:55am
I speak Murrini!

I agree! Yunita does gorgeous florals - I love these too! http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction...ion_id=8823091

Yunita...did you use the dot method for the first layer of petals, then a plunged "rose cane" for the centers in the flowers Gems linked? I sure wish I could make that "flat ribbon" cane that is used in the TomboDama style!

Gorgeous work woman!

De

Old 2010-01-10, 3:46am
I need more boro stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Yunita...did you use the dot method for the first layer of petals, then a plunged "rose cane" for the centers in the flowers Gems linked? I sure wish I could make that "flat ribbon" cane that is used in the TomboDama style!

Gorgeous work woman!

De
Thank you you two

De, I put 5 dots of pastel, melt them in, then transparent and melt them in. Then plunge them with rose cane from Peraza's tutorial (http://www.perazabeads.com)

Old 2010-01-10, 5:48am
Beadmaking.nl

Wow, what an inspirering tutorial. THANK YOU, both!
I gonna try this immediatly. You asked when someone is interested in larger pictures.
Well, i could use a closeup from the encasing. Is she making a sort of hollow bead on the shoulders of the bead?

Thanks!

Old 2010-01-10, 5:55am
midnight.dreary

So these are relatively small beads then?

Old 2010-01-10, 7:38am
Jacqueline Parkes

If you want any closes up, just pm me your email address and I will send them that way. They will be full sized and unedited.

What you see on the ends is the clear glass that hangs a bit over the shoulders of the bead. That glass is heated and then pushed with a tool as close as you can without touching the mandrel. I suppose it is somewhat like making a hollow bead because the layers of clear are built somewhat overlapping each other and the ends jut out a bit. Jump in here Melanie if you have a better way to explain this or if there are errors. I still feel like a floral newb lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by margriet@stainedglass.nl View Post
Wow, what an inspirering tutorial. THANK YOU, both!
I gonna try this immediatly. You asked when someone is interested in larger pictures.
Well, i could use a closeup from the encasing. Is she making a sort of hollow bead on the shoulders of the bead?

Thanks!

Old 2010-01-10, 12:29pm
I speak Murrini!

I'm popping in regularly hoping to see your picture of your bead from last night, Gems! You ARE gonna show us, right?

(Apologies for side-tracking! Yunita - thanks so much for the link! I'm thinking I really want this tut - but before I spend that kind of cash-o-la, I'm wondering how "do-able" this is for me on my hot head? No fancy tools or techniques? I'm hoping you can answer; alternatively, I'll write the author.)

OK - carry on....

De

Old 2010-01-10, 12:36pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Which tutorial are you speaking of?

Okay I got a bit busy this morning. I ran out of propane and then I was wandering Home Depot to purchase the nail tools Melanie uses ,found those, around $11, comes in a package of three.

Then I was looking for those sections for storing glass. I spent about an hour talking to the sales people , showing them pictures. They have never seen the drain spouts/gutters like what I showed them. They are actually called gutters here but they only come with one hole, not three separate sections. ?Can anyone pipe in about this? I need to redo my studio this spring.

Okay back to the bead, please remember that it is nothing special, it was only about learning technique. I will go and clean it and take pics. I only did not post as it is one BORING bead but it means something to me

Then
Quote:
I'm popping in regularly hoping to see your picture of your bead from last night, Gems! You ARE gonna show us, right?

(Apologies for side-tracking! Yunita - thanks so much for the link! I'm thinking I really want this tut - but before I spend that kind of cash-o-la, I'm wondering how "do-able" this is for me on my hot head? No fancy tools or techniques? I'm hoping you can answer; alternatively, I'll write the author.)

OK - carry on....

De

Old 2010-01-10, 12:41pm
I need more boro stuff

Quote:

OK - carry on....

De
I'm waiting for your bead as well, Gems

De, no fancy tool at all, mostly only glass, masher and marver. It's the same way like making your murinni. How big can you do on your HH? If you just make about 5-7 layers of petals and can melt 1-2" dia gather easily, then you are fine
My first cane has 15 layers or something, it was huge - around 3" dia. OMG a nightmare to melt it even on cricket.

Old 2010-01-10, 12:43pm
I need more boro stuff

Quote:
Then I was looking for those sections for storing glass. I spent about an hour talking to the sales people , showing them pictures. They have never seen the drain spouts/gutters like what I showed them. They are actually called gutters here but they only come with one hole, not three separate sections. ?Can anyone pipe in about this? I need to redo my studio this spring.

Then
I think those storing glass things are actually for making fences.

Old 2010-01-10, 12:48pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I looked for fence railing too but they did not have the style that the ladies in the US seem to have.

Bad news, bead broke when I went to clean it. I think I stared at it too long in amazement before putting it in the kiln last night, sorry.

sigh

Quote:
I think those storing glass things are actually for making fences.

Old 2010-01-10, 1:16pm
Live and Let Live

Quote:
I looked for fence railing too but they did not have the style that the ladies in the US seem to have.

Bad news, bead broke when I went to clean it. I think I stared at it too long in amazement before putting it in the kiln last night, sorry.

sigh
Yes, what you are looking for is vinyl fence rail. Someone on here just started selling it. Not sure how bad the shipping would be to you ... Let me see if I can find the thread... Here it is. http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=150478

How do the petals look on the broken bead though? Right track???

Last edited by GlassGalore; 2010-01-10 at 1:21pm.
Old 2010-01-10, 1:56pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
...How big can you do on your HH? If you just make about 5-7 layers of petals and can melt 1-2" dia gather easily, then you are fine ...
Pretty big! See?

This was a 2" diam gather - about 6 "layers" (to create the Rubber Duckie), so I'm gonna do some experiments today!

And Gems...I'm so sorry to hear of your bead breaking! Any chance you can "set" it (like a cabochon) into something? If at least one half has a good floral in it, it just might be worth it - to keep it for proprietary!

I'm sure there will be LOTS MORE forthcoming...

And yeah, I know how it goes when you enter the Home Depot "abyss"...somehow a well-intended, 20 minute pop-in turns into a 2 hour adventure!

The "tutorial" I'm referring to, by the way (as previously linked by Yunita) is this one: http://www.perazabeads.com/LampworkTutorials.htm

One step at a time, though, right?

De

Old 2010-01-10, 2:18pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Yes the petals are rounded instead of pointy. It really helped to encase over the vines first.

I showed the salesperson that picture while I was in the store but they did not recognize the stuff.

I think the shipping would be really high to Canada.

So let me understand. It appears there are two types of material, well actually three you are all using to make these shelves?

pvc piping - I have some, prefer not to go that route again

drain spouts (called gutters here) this is my first choice as it appears they have three sections which are all the same size

vinyl fence railing, I would settle for this but I have not seen any here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGalore View Post
Yes, what you are looking for is vinyl fence rail. Someone on here just started selling it. Not sure how bad the shipping would be to you ... Let me see if I can find the thread... Here it is. http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=150478

How do the petals look on the broken bead though? Right track???

Old 2010-01-10, 5:24pm
I like to melt things

When I do this, I'm not really making a hollow on the ends or anything. I just make sure the Clear is a little deeper on the edges of the bead, and then gently heat just the clear to molten on the edges and roll it down with the barrel of a round tool, just like I'd roll out dough, being careful to get it it close but not touching the mandrel.

Thanks Kimberly! I love your tutorial. I'm still hoping that you'll make one for those beads you demo'd at the bash. Hint, hint.

-
-
Old 2010-01-10, 6:18pm
Jacqueline Parkes

What the heck! There is a tutorial I don't have , this is so wrong lol

btw peeps, I am back to sucking at florals again. I think I need an all day workshop with Melanie.

I feel like I have disappointed the masses lol

Quote:
Pretty big! See?

This was a 2" diam gather - about 6 "layers" (to create the Rubber Duckie), so I'm gonna do some experiments today!

And Gems...I'm so sorry to hear of your bead breaking! Any chance you can "set" it (like a cabochon) into something? If at least one half has a good floral in it, it just might be worth it - to keep it for proprietary!

I'm sure there will be LOTS MORE forthcoming...

And yeah, I know how it goes when you enter the Home Depot "abyss"...somehow a well-intended, 20 minute pop-in turns into a 2 hour adventure!

The "tutorial" I'm referring to, by the way (as previously linked by Yunita) is this one: http://www.perazabeads.com/LampworkTutorials.htm

One step at a time, though, right?

De

Old 2010-01-10, 10:13pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Okay drum roll please! I finally had an encased floral that is decent ( I think/hope)

Yes you can make florals on a hothead but I have a sneaking suspicion I have no business trying it with bullseye.

Anyways this is bullseye and deeply encased.

Verdict please and give it to me straight. I don't want compliments , I want truth.

I still have lots of fine tuning to do but I am somewhat happy with it. I will be dressing things up much more as I get more comfortable with the technique.

Old 2010-01-10, 10:14pm
Jacqueline Parkes

To add: The shaping of my florals has greatly improved. And both ends have dimples, woot! This is what I was lacking in a bad bad way. I rarely had a bead good enough to sell so I would just beadcap them and put them in my own jewelry.

Old 2010-01-10, 10:46pm
Never give up

Quote:
Okay drum roll please! I finally had an encased floral that is decent ( I think/hope)

Yes you can make florals on a hothead but I have a sneaking suspicion I have no business trying it with bullseye.

Anyways this is bullseye and deeply encased.

Verdict please and give it to me straight. I don't want compliments , I want truth.

I still have lots of fine tuning to do but I am somewhat happy with it. I will be dressing things up much more as I get more comfortable with the technique.

Omg that bead is awesome. I did one tonight that I like , but only one layer.
How long does it take you to make one with 3 layer? I worked my for 45 minutes and I am on a minor torch using 104. Do you mine me asking what colors you used. I so want to make a floral as nice as the one you made.