Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2014-02-15, 1:56pm

Default Blue Passion - still struggling

I am using Blue Passion (encased) over Onyx, and I can get it to strike to this gorgeous neon-like blue but then after it's been in the kiln for a while, it turns to an ugly sort of olive green color.... I turned the kiln down to 950 to garage while I'm working.... Any ideas on how to keep that gorgeous blue where I put it when it went in??? The frustrating thing is that I have managed to do it (and with the kiln set at 1050) -- but now i can't seem to replicate it..... The only factor I have determined so far is that it seems to need be really cold outside before I can get it to do what I want in the first place! Now how do I keep it through annealing??? Any clues??? Thanks!!!
Old 2014-02-15, 2:58pm

Have you changed your clear? I cringe just writing that but there is one brand...Pyrex maybe? that silver glass went green when encased.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-02-16, 6:59am

Here is a thought..... When you put it over the Onyx make sure the Onyx is cool. Then apply the Blue Passion as you would a silver color but when you encase it have the glass cool again.

I got a certain effect with another color and it took me several years to figure out how I did it. I'm out of town right now but I do have notes at home so PM me if you need more info. The clue you gave was being cold outside.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-02-16, 8:43am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
Have you changed your clear? I cringe just writing that but there is one brand...Pyrex maybe? that silver glass went green when encased.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!! Oh wow, that would be just awful.... I do use Pyrex clear, always have.... is this a new problem??? I guess it's possible I had a random clear rod mixed in on my bench and used it alternately.... but I have a giant stash of Pyrex!! Is there any more information about that that you know of before I start to panic?! I will say I'm not having this "greenout" problem anywhere else so I'm hoping that's not it! Thanks for the response though, I will look into it!
Old 2014-02-16, 8:45am

Hi Rose,

Thanks. Yes, in fact, I am cooling like you suggest (took me forever to figure that out too!!) and that is how I am finally replicating the blue effect I want. I have been 'chasing' this color a while now and was so excited that I finally got it perfect when it goes into the kiln, that I thought I finally had it down..... and it's ok inthe kiln for a few minutes, then is starts to slip away from me.....
Old 2014-02-17, 7:20am

In the last couple of issues of Glassline magazine (August to December 2013, Jan 2014) are a series of articles by John Lindquist. I think you might find them very helpful in working with reactive boro colors. He gives great instructions on striking in the torch or in the kiln, using pure color and watered down. He does give a kiln schedule he uses - Basic strike (1075 for 20-30 min), Medium (1100 for 12-15 min), Quick (1150-1175 8-12 min) and Super (1200-1250 5-8 min). I have found this series extremely helpful.
Old 2014-03-03, 12:07pm

Thank you! That sounds like something I'd benefit from, I'll try to look them up.... Thanks!

Tags
boro strike