Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-01-31, 7:57am

Default attaching the blower

My Dayton blower arrived the other day and hubby unpacked it and we plugged it in to check it out ... nice It's the same style as the Grainger model everyone keeps referring to when asking about blowers. 495cfm in case you're curious.

Now I'm confused again. Must be that 60 year old blonde syndrome. ANYway. The intake vent is rectangular. HUH? OK I thought the exhaust port was the intake. But after we plugged it in I realized my error. So.

How do I reconcile the rectangular intake port with the round ducting? I want the blower attached to the window opening, not the enclosure. Or does that make a difference?

sheesh. One problem solved and another one crops up. I'll be glad when this darned thing is finished and I can get back to concentrating on my work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-01-31, 8:22am
Safety ALWAYS

You mean the exhaust is rectangular. The intake is always round on these blowers.

What I've done is to take a round duct "plug" and cut a square/rectangular opening in them, mount it to the exhaust port flange on the blower, then start the duct from the plug.

Alternately, if you are going to go directly to a window, then I'd cut a piece of plywood to fit your window opening, then cut a square/rectangular opening to match the exhaust port flange, and mount the whole assembly in the window.

To mount duct to the intake, there is a flange that is held in place with 3 screws. Remove the screws and the flange, then use the flange as a pattern on the duct end plug, and cut a hole to match. When you are ready to re-assemble, put the flange inside the duct plug then mount both to the blower, so that the duct plug is held in place by the flange. Then mount your ducting as usual.
Attached Images

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-01-31, 10:03am

Well color me embarrassed AND confused. I coulda SWORN when I put my hand over the round part that it was blowing air OUT. gah.

Old 2007-01-31, 10:32am
Safety ALWAYS

LOL -- it's an easy mistake to make.

A much better way is to hold a strip of paper over the opening when the fan is running (don't let go ).

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-02-06, 5:10pm
Mummy to 3 Little Elves

My husband's setting up my studio in our above ground basement currently. He cut the hole in a piece of wood and set the blower in there and has it all set up. I didn't think there was enough pull (it's 465 cfm) so I ordered another blower. He's OK with redoing another piece of wood. I, also, thought I felt the air blowing out through the hosing attached to the round part of the blower. Was convinced of it, in fact. Held a tealight in there and saw it blowing out. So, ran and got some loo roll and held it near the hosing and it sucked that sucker right up in there LOL. Had to pull the thing apart. Wonder if I should bother putting it all back together before DH gets back from his business trip. Probably shouldn't bother since he's going to have to remake the thing when the second blower arrives.

Old 2007-02-06, 5:38pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Actually if you had taken the loo paper and twisted into tight little "twig" and lit it with match them blow it out so it just smolders, smoke trail will tell all you need to know....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-02-07, 5:00am
Safety ALWAYS

What you are observing is unducted air turbulence from the spinning of the squirrel cage. Once a duct is in place, the turbulence goes away and normal air flow resumes.

Old 2007-02-18, 10:45am

If you cut a round hole in a flat sheet and stick it on the rectangle arent you gonna get back pressure issues, and have major resistance? Wouldnt the better way to go be to get a square to 10"round adaptor? You know the smooth kind?
Old 2007-02-18, 3:05pm
Safety ALWAYS

No, because the adaptor reduces and restricts the airflow prior to the intake port on the fan. If you use the method I discussed above, there is no reduction or restriction of the air flow, the fan pulls the air directly into the intake.

Old 2007-02-18, 8:37pm

ahhh i was visualizing the blowing end of the fan being covered not the intake.
Old 2007-02-19, 6:10am
Safety ALWAYS

This thread is about the intake.