Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-07-10, 10:26am

Default Oxegen cost $$

Hello all,
I am looking at aquiring a small torch like the bethlehem alpha or Gtt Cricket or Bobcat for hobby use. Let's say an average oxegen consumpton rate of 30 cubic feet per hour, How much would this oxegen cost and what size tank would be adequate. I am figuring on a 2-4 hours use a day.
Thanks and happy to be on board,
Jeffrey
Old 2011-07-10, 11:21am

With a cricket or scorpion, you can use them on an oxygen concentrator and bypass oxygen tank costs completely. Depending on how often you torch, the Return savings of the oxygen concentrator can be very swift. I have bought scratch and dents in the past at significant savings. Maintenance is an occasional $20 filter and vacuum as opposed to the minimum $150 per month charges associated with tanked.

Last edited by Torch&Marver; 2011-07-10 at 11:24am.
Old 2011-07-11, 7:06am

I have S (154 cft) tanks right now and am running a mirage but so far mostly on the Lynx centerfire. The Lynx does use quite a bit of oxygen relative to the others you mentioned. I do not want to be limited by purity or the amount of oxygen available for combustion so I will not use concentrators unless forced. The S tank lasts 10-12 hours and costs me $18 to fill. I typically go through one tank a week. Since I upgraded to the mirage I will be upgrading to K (250 cfm) tanks. My supplier will fill them for $21. What are you planning no making? For solid work larger than beads I would suggest the Lynx.
Old 2011-07-11, 7:09am
Hobby Junkie

I use an oxycon on a Wale Firebird. I used to use tanked oxy but it is outrageously expensive where I live (about $70 a fill after taxes and fees). A tank only lasted me about 12-18 hours (depending on what I was making and what glass I was using).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-07-11, 1:32pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

My supplier told me that regular tanked oxygen is about 93%. Medical oxygen runs 93% to 98%. That being said a concentrator in good shape can/should give you oxy at about 90% to 93%. My tanks (250's) cost me $200.00 each plus/minus and refills cost about $20. I have no idea what rental charges are. Oxycons can be found for $200 or less. Do the math and see what makes sence for you. I usually get a month use from a 'K' tank at my use rate of 2 to 3 hours 3 to 4 times a week.

I run the center flame of my Mirage and Kabuki on 2 oxycons (5lpm) and the mid and outer flames from tanks thru a foot pedal.