Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-12-07, 10:50pm

Smile Im New. why is my glass burning?

Hi everyone my name is Michael and i've recently started working with glass.

i have browsed old threads here and i would still like to hear everyones thoughts on my dilemma.

I'm on a Devardi HH working with bulk propane gas.

I started off always burning my glass and have progressed to the point where i have almost gotten rid of the burning-ness. (except for pinks, they always turn black)

yet i have reached a plateau, i simply cannot get rid of this last bit of burnt glass. (pictures included)
if you look at the lower half of the mushroom pendants you can see its gray, and not clear.

So two questions.

1) any ideas how to help me advance to the next level of not burning my work?

And 2) the Devardi HH torch came with a note wrapped around the head of the torch saying to always use the torch at half or full. however it didn't make any difference how far i worked in or out of the flame my glass ALWAYS burnt.
i recently disregarded the note and turned it down to a nice solid strong pinpoint flame. about 1/4 turned on. and my glass work has improved, however the torch gets hot to touch.
what are your tips or advice for this?
if i turn it up and work far out i get soot and the glass never melts. if i work close in the flame it burns. there is no sweet spot. just burns.
if i turn it down the glass melts quicker and it doesnt burn as much, but the torch over heats.

ideas?
Attached Images

Last edited by Michael Leeder; 2015-12-07 at 10:53pm. Reason: trying to add photos.
Old 2015-12-07, 10:59pm

Hi Michael - I think you will LOVE this thread - it addresses your problem really well http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=226977 - Welcome to the wonderful world of glass!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

feel free to friend me on FB if you can handle bead pics, dog pics and family pics -
Old 2015-12-08, 10:39am
Marble Lover

Hello, Micheal.

I don't have anything to add to your dilemma, but I do recommend you adding your location into your profile. You may get lucky and have people near you to melt glass with. Your location will show up at the top right of your posts.

Welcome to LWE.
-BEP
Old 2015-12-08, 11:32pm
Lisa Berczel

Are you using Devardi glass?

I have the same set up - and work with Devardi, Effetre, Vetrofond, CIM and Lausha glass.

And, I've also burned a lot of glass.... all part of the learning curve.

In my year on the torch I have found that it is EASY to over heat the Devardi - it is stiff that it doesn't *move* like other brands. It really likes to be worked with tools rather than gravity. Colors, opaque vs transparent - each is a variable as well.

I also added a 100lb regulator to my propane tank. This has helped me a ton. High enough to keep the torch head cool, but low enough to be more controlable.
Old 2015-12-10, 4:04am

thank you for the tip, i have just added my location.
Old 2015-12-10, 4:07am

thanks for the tip Ladypainter, i might try my luck at other brands.
Old 2015-12-13, 1:40am

Looks like soot, Michael. I hope the link helps.

Old 2015-12-14, 9:37pm

thank you for telling me that, i wasnt sure if it was burning or soot. (Y)
Old 2015-12-31, 4:07am
Millionaire in Training

Michael, I have a ton of Devardi glass. While it has colors that no others produce, it does burn pretty easily. So, it can be hard to tell if it's soot, which if using a HH, can happen. I also started with a HH and sooted up non-Devardi glass quite often. I'm now working on a Minor and I can say unless I turn down my propane on the tank itself, the glass will almost always burn. Devardi is extremely picky and certain colors have a narrow band of allowable heat. Like Honeydew - that stuff devits if you look at it wrong. But your problem is burning. I'd try some Effetre or Vetrofond. I see you are in Australia. Was just reading in another post that glass is extremely expensive down there because it ships from the U.S. after being sent from the manufacturer. I recommend trying something else so you can find out whether you are too close to the tip of the torch or if it's the glass.

Old 2015-12-31, 5:16pm
Phill

It may have been said here already but Devardi just wont get runny like other soft glass.

It wants to be shaped with tools more than getting liquid like morreti glass.

Tags
burning, flame, gray, hot head, mushroom, newbie, soot