Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2017-01-12, 6:09pm

Lightbulb Davardi spartan torch for newbie

Im am dieing to get set up and start practicing. All I know is that I want to make marbles. Preferably I would like to go straight to working with boro. I am a young single father so money is tight. And I know I need lots of it. I have spent days trying to find answers to my questions so I thought maybe some with experience could help me out. Im thinking about getting the davardi spartan, the reviews are pretty limited but some claim it will work boro. Im looking to keep this as cheap as I can for now. Can anyone recommend a torch no more then 200$, or have one they would like to sell. Also what can I expect for O2 usage and how much are you all spending on a refill? All input/criticism will be appreciated
Old 2017-01-12, 8:45pm

The Spartin is a bit of a plain Jane that will be tossed aside when you upgrade.

A National 3A with a 7 jet tip will give you lots of power. Will run on propane or natural gas very well. You can get the 6A a bench model thats the same thing. The advantage is when you buy a 3A it can be used as your hand torch when you upgrade to a big bench burner.
http://www.mountainglass.com/Products/NATIONAL-TORCHES/

It will do small work and when you want an upgrade you can get a 31 jet tip , a $59 upgrade and make work like the big boys. I see Klines and recyclers made on the national.

Its an old school tried true and tested old torch still sold new today with lots of part available.

I got mine on E bay for $52 and machined my own tip buy you can buy tips.
http://www.mountainglass.com/Product...-3A-3B-AND-6B/

This is my 3A on natural gas and oxygen concentrators.
I recommend this torch to anyone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_mY5MTKXds

I have a lot nicer torches but the national is still a welcome addition to my shop. Its earned its place as a permanent item along with the expensive torches.
Attached Images

Last edited by snoopdog6502; 2017-01-12 at 8:49pm.
Old 2017-01-12, 11:45pm
Naysayer

Good idea snoop

I did boro on my GTT cricket with only one 5lpm oxycon, it's made to run great on low oxy. You will wait literally a year if you order new, buy used or from a dealer. (that sounds dirty)
Old 2017-01-13, 4:44am

A Bethlehem Alpha fits the price range and is also very conservative on oxygen. It will do smallish boro quite nicely. I went from a hothead clone to a Spartan and then the Alpha. Loved my Alpha! I have upgraded to the Bravo, but use just the center fire (Alpha) 95% of the time. I only turn on the outer flame when I need some extra heat on larger boro pieces. If I had known about the Alpha, I would have skipped the Spartan step completely. It's not a bad torch,, but uses more oxygen and doesn't give you a nice pinpoint flame. I use tanked oxygen, but many people run the Alpha on an oxycon with no problems.

"I'd rather have glassy friends than classy friends."
Old 2017-01-13, 12:15pm

I'd vote for the National 3a. It's extremely capable, for the size, and will still be useful as a hand torch after you're ready to upgrade to a bigger torch.
Old 2017-02-16, 11:15am

Another vote for the Bethlehem Alpha as a great entry level torch with lots of power.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]

Tags
boro, newbie, spartan