Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-11-24, 8:09am
File not found

Default How come...............

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kimberly; 2012-04-20 at 8:23pm.
Old 2007-11-24, 8:19am
Bliss Junkie

'cause they dont look like boro...

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2007-11-24, 8:44am

Cause those are "boro outstanding", and all I have is regular boro.

Old 2007-11-24, 8:51am
Serenity Now!

Shucks - me too!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2007-11-24, 8:55am

Umm, cause they're icky?

Old 2007-11-24, 10:21am

Cuz I don't have any of that boro? Who makes it?? lolol
Cuz $38 for 74 beads is not so much...
Cuz like Lori said... Ewwwww!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2007-11-24, 3:55pm
weird

Dang, I wish MY boro beads looked like that!

Sarah
Old 2007-11-24, 4:36pm
crabby...who me?

Lori, I couldnt have said it any better.
Jeff
Old 2007-11-24, 4:55pm

i think those are made in china!
Old 2007-11-24, 5:34pm

If those are boro that second oxy-con is off my christmas list.
Old 2007-11-24, 5:40pm
Missing presumed fed

The thought that those beads aren't annealed makes me happy.

'cause I want them all to die.

Soon, if possible.

Last edited by Emily; 2007-11-24 at 5:42pm.
Old 2007-11-24, 6:50pm
Bliss Junkie

anyone notice that the page has changed a bit....
no longer says "boro outstanding" , just outstanding....
plus the addition of "beads made of Effetre, Moretti or vetrofond glass"

just have to say, i was right the first time....

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2007-11-24, 7:28pm

She got edjumakated? lolol

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2007-11-24, 8:46pm

Wow. Thanks Kimberly. I feel better about my beads now!

Old 2007-11-25, 12:27am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Cause I never knew Vetrofond, Moretti AND Effetre came in Boro.

Old 2007-11-25, 7:57am

Ya know, Kimberly, I was going to give you a hard time about outing my secret ebay id......but then I thought someone might think I was serious

Old 2007-11-25, 6:32pm
Missing presumed fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlbacher View Post
anyone notice that the page has changed a bit....
no longer says "boro outstanding" , just outstanding....
plus the addition of "beads made of Effetre, Moretti or vetrofond glass"
Nice try, Julia honey (assuming that "Julia's Yarn" really has somebody named Julia associated with it), but I'd be surprised if you've got any reliable documentation establishing what glass those beads are made from. I'm sure it's soda lime glass of some sort, but the beads, and the other lampwork beads in your eBay store, are of poor enough quality that my guess would be that they're from India, even though you identify them as Czech. If they are from India, God only know what glass was used. If they're from Italy, they could be Effetre (which, by the way, is the same thing as "Moretti" -- strictly speaking, there's no such thing as "Moretti" any more.) If they're really from the Czech Republic, it would seem likely that they would be made from the glass produced in the Czech Republic.

The quality of the beads coming from China recently has been better than the beads in your auctions. The colors of the glass are also slightly different, so I don't think these are Chinese.

By the way, the white crud in the middle of the bead holes (visible in a number of your other auctions) is bead release, a claylike substance used to keep the glass from adhering permanently to the metal rod around which the glass is wrapped. Good lampwork beads are cleaned before being sold. I expect that you find cracked or broken beads in your shipments from time to time. That is because lampwork beads need to have the stress removed from the glass by being held in a kiln at a specified temperature and then cooled slowly, a process called annealing.

It's not cost-effective for the bulk manufacturers to anneal their beads. If they sell the bulk beads at a low enough price, customers are unlikely to complain when a few beads out of a package break. It's a different story for the bead user, however. Two beads breaking out of a package of a hundred loose beads may be no big deal. One bead breaking, after it has been strung onto a necklace and sold to a customer, is an entirely different and much more serious situation.

Those of us on this forum have invested a lot of time and energy in learning our skill (call it an art form or call it a craft -- please God, do not let me start that terminology debate here), and have spent a fair amount of money on tools, equipment, studio space, and materials. We do our best to produce good quality beads, with as much artistic merit as our talents allow, and because of that we get a little touchy (and in my case, more than a little snide) when imported crapware is passed off, or might be confused with, artist beads.

Last edited by Emily; 2007-11-25 at 6:39pm.
Old 2007-11-26, 9:48am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

yeey for Emily!

Old 2007-11-26, 12:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
Rachel - I hope I didn't hurt any feelings here! I just wanted to point out an auction that was erroneous in the extreme. The beads were so obviously not boro. They definitely look like imported soft glass.

No offense taken! I really DO feel better about my beads after seeing some of those. But I still tend to make clear look scummy -- hey, were those some of MY beads on that auction????! (kidding )