Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2014-06-24, 1:15pm

Default Smoke and carbon monoxide detector

I will be building a studio in a caravan in my small back garden and will probably be running the kiln at night. I have always done this at my partners' house, but only when I am at home.
Now, with the caravan, I will be in my house, and the kiln will be on it's own. Obviously, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are a must, but because of the distance I was thinking of getting one of these: https://nest.com/smoke-co-alarm/life-with-nest-protect/

Any thoughts?

Obviously, I will also make sure that the kiln (probably a small one) will be nowhere near anything flammable.
Old 2014-06-24, 11:38pm
I'm meeeeelting

That looks interesting. I often run my kiln at night and have thought it would be good to have a smoke detector, but I wouldn't hear it in the house. Having it send messages to a cell phone is pretty brilliant.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-06-25, 8:21pm
honorary bead lady

Here in the states you could run one 14/3 back to the house and inter connect 2 smoke detectors, if the one in the studio went off, it would also go off in the house, not sure what to do across the pond