Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: What COE would you choose if you were starting over?
90 4 12.90%
96 5 16.13%
104 9 29.03%
I'd keep a variety of stashes. 13 41.94%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-05-19, 12:03pm
HotFlash Designs

Default Thinking of switching COE's (soft glass)

I was curious what everyone's thoughts are on which COE has the best available colors. and maybe who your favorite manufacturer is?

I currently have mostly 104. A bit of 96, and a dash of 90. (and boro, but rarely work it since I have a mini cc)

So, if you were going to start over, knowing what you know now, what COE would you go for?

Has to be one with a nice clear. I have had it with bad clears. lol I was thinking of switching to bullseye, but never tried their clear.

Gaffer has awesome colors, and I love their glass, but again, never tried their clear.

When we moved, I sold a large portion of my 104, and now I need to restock.

Off to try and make this a poll. lol

Be Curious. Not judgmental.
Old 2010-05-19, 12:05pm
ManBearPig

I would start with 33 COE and never try anything else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-05-19, 12:09pm

I still favor 104 Effetre, both for cost, and for color choice. But, if your looking for the perfect clear to match the brand of glass you choose then that's a different story. I use Effetre clear, but most don't like it. I don't have any problems with it and the super clear is great. I do have a few CIM colors just for some other colors that Effetre does not have, but 95% of what I use is Effetre.

I have used Bullseye, and though I love the colors, it wasn't for me. Too stiff.

You will get so many different opinions, and really another big factor, is what you make. Different glasses do different things better.

Good luck!

Old 2010-05-19, 12:31pm
I'm a lilac!

I don't think I could choose. I guess that if I HAD to pick one COE I would go with Bullseye, but I would miss the 96 frits and boro and 104 dark ivory.

I have, and regularly use, all of the above.

Old 2010-05-19, 12:49pm
Noobie

96..I love 104, but I wish they could come up with a good consistant clear..that is my only complaint with 104...I had bought 10 pounds of cim clear quite a while ago..it was a great clear..I recently bought more and its really bubbly and scummy..I wish now that I had bought 20 pounds of the stuff while it was still good...

I just put in a huge order of 96..the rechenbach clear is really good...right now anyhow..I like both, but probalby like 104 the best..more colors and the price is right.
Old 2010-05-19, 12:53pm

Schott 90 clear is compatible with BE, beautiful, and CHEAP. I'm annoyed that 104 clears have become so pricey.

I love the BE transparents, but would miss my 104 opaques, reactive glass and silver glass.
Old 2010-05-19, 1:23pm

I feel like I'm in the same boat as Kalera. I love the control that comes with Bullseye glass and I like how their colors remain so true, plus you can get frit .... But, there's something great about each kind, and frustrations with each kind (am I the only one who has trouble with 96 transparents reducing or scumming?). Some days all I want to do is Boro, other days frit (96), and fun days are playing with 104 colors. I couldn't choose just one; my only wish - if starting over - is that I had tried the non-104 options sooner.

Old 2010-05-19, 1:24pm
HotFlash Designs

Cosmo, you made me laugh. I love to play with Boro, and when I get a bigger torch, I will definitely use it more and more. I have to use the tanked OXY rather than my oxycon or I get frustrated at not getting the colors to strike.(I hate paying for it)

Hmmmm, maybe I should just get a new torch!

Anyway, wouldn't it be AWESOME if we could mix and match? There are things I love about glass in all COE's. That's why the inner turmoil.

Thanks for the input so far!

Old 2010-05-19, 2:14pm
Lampworkaholic!

I work with 104, 96 and 90. Furnace cane frit works with all of them. Gaffer clear is just lovely, as is Schott 90 and for 104 right now I favor Reichenbach or Aether and sometimes I use a very pale transparent in a complementary color to encase.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-05-19, 2:43pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I work all the COE's (boro is my current passion) but I do
have to say that when I lust after any color, it ends up being
104. If I had to choose based on color alone, I'd say 104.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2010-05-19, 3:07pm

I've only been working consistently on the torch for about 6 months, but I've had a torch for two years now. I started on a Hot Head (kit from the 1st class I took) and a stash of ASK 104 glass. I added a little bit more ASK and some Effettre last year, plus a 3 lb box of leftover ASK from classes at Arrow Springs. I've always had some control issues with the 104, partially due to a depth perception problem. This year I took a silver glass class from Doug Remschneider and used all COE 96 glass. The difference in control for me was amazing. I was able to work cleanly and evenly. My only problem was learning not to spin the mandrels as quickly as needed for 104.

As soon as I burn through all my 104, I'll be switching to 96 - although from all I'm hearing about Devardi, I may try some to see if it is a stiff as everyone says.
under construction -
Old 2010-05-19, 4:14pm

I'd still choose Bullseye. I just wish they had more silver glasses.
Old 2010-05-19, 5:00pm
Harold Williams Cooney

. . . . 33 is not on that list.

Ooooooooooh the ladies of soda lime.

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2010-05-19, 5:02pm
Wyoming Silvers

yeah,, I would have to go with bullseye,, It has drawbacks..like I wish it had some of 104 colors..

Lovin my Lynx with M20
Old 2010-05-19, 5:34pm

Hello, my name is Connie. I have been a guest to LE for years and love this website. I have invested in the beautiful effetre,vetrofond and lauscha glass. The only other glass I have used is the 33 coe. I prefer the soft glass. I plan on going to Frantzs' store to check out and purchase the CIM glass. I will also purchase from Jed (Double Helix) his 104 compatable glass. I would rather keep going with the soft glass, so maybe investing in bullseye also.
Old 2010-05-19, 6:18pm
I like to play with fire!

My favourite would be 104 - well I've never really used anything else... CiM is definitely my favourite, along with Lauscha, but also love Effetre's dark ivory. Hopin to try some different coe's soon..

SALE SALE SALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Old 2010-05-19, 7:45pm
offically down under

I think it depends on what kind of beads you make. If you do a lot of floral beads, then bullseye is terrific. Their clear isn't the best but Schott makes a great 90 coe clear. Personally, I do a lot of dot style beads and I prefer the opaque colors of 104.

Old 2010-05-19, 10:39pm
Critter Mom

Think I'd stick with my Bullseye. I like the slightly stiffer glass and haven't had any problems with their Crystal Clear or Schott. I do wish they had more colors and something similar to the Double Helix rods. I have some boro in a big box and I'm thinking about doing a little experimenting once I get my inventory caught up.

Old 2010-05-19, 11:16pm
I'm a lilac!

I think that I tend to love whatever glass I've been using the most. This week I've been on a big boro kick, and so now I'm all in love with boro. But I got my Ullman colors today, so tomorrow I'll probably be swooning over 96.

Old 2010-05-20, 5:25am
HotFlash Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
I think it depends on what kind of beads you make. If you do a lot of floral beads, then bullseye is terrific. Their clear isn't the best but Schott makes a great 90 coe clear. Personally, I do a lot of dot style beads and I prefer the opaque colors of 104.
good point. I don't do florals. (yet) but one never knows.

I like all of the input. It's interesting to see how we all look at it. Seems I am destined to keep multiples, but which one will be my "stronger" stash?

I look forward to more opinions.

Old 2010-05-20, 6:39am
She's Back & Burnin'

I too love to work with different COE glass types.

I started with BE on a HH. Ok, I have no sense LOL! If you could see the huge ass beads I was making you would shake your head...

Even after all these years and different types of glass, I still come back to my BE...

Sara