Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2015-11-11, 3:27pm
Flamewoman

Default Silver Creek

I thought I would post here first as this is were the boro artists are. I am looking for some old silver creek, the kind they made about 8-10 years ago. It would be very clear, almost like white wine in unstruck rod. If anybody has some that they would part with, I will pay you for it and any shipping. The silver creek they are making now is either milky looking or orange. Got any clear looking Silver Creek?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PLEASE like my page!
Old 2015-11-12, 3:05am
He can do the origami

MaryK, I will look in my studio tomorrow to see if I have enough to actually part with. Silver Creek is one of my top 3 go to colors and I still have some from a long time ago. Every now and then you can find a new batch that is almost clear like the old stuff.

May I ask why you are looking specifically for the older version?

Otter
Old 2015-11-12, 10:14am
Flamewoman

Default why

I just can't get the same results with the glass they are making now. I do a layering technique with another defunct glass ruby strike 4 and get beautiful results for pink petals in my florals. The new silver creek does not produce the clean clear pink I get using the older stuff. I always get attached to glass that is not made anymore. I have been in contact with Northstar, Abe told me that they use the same formula but not the same method to make the glass. I much prefer the old stuff. much.
the two shots in the top pictures are the old stuff and you can see the way it strikes. the bottom shot is the new, I get hazy results even if I preheat it to as clear as I can get it, I can not get the new glass to go clear, no matter how hot I get it. The batch I just got is the rod on the bottom, it is more like tan silver creek to me, but ABR says it is silver creek. It is full of bubbles and miserable to work with. It bubbles when you heat it.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/at...1&d=1447348102
Attached Images

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2015-11-16, 4:51am
He can do the origami

MaryK,
I only have about 1/2 pound left, sorry. I have several pounds of new Silver Creek. I do sometimes find almost clear Silver Creek as I hand pick mine. I agree it does have more of a haze than the older stuff but I seem to be able to still get the same results as before. Sorry I didn't have more.

Otter
Old 2015-11-16, 7:11pm
Flamewoman

That's Ok thanks for checking Otter. I'm over it now. I always freak out when I can't get something like what I have had. I use such little bits of glass for my work it can take years to use a pound of something, and by that time.....it may be gone, or different. I will adjust.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2015-11-16, 10:34pm

That looks like tan silver creek to me. I use quite a bit of it. Its an opaque tan base with lots of silver.
Old 2015-11-17, 12:14am
He can do the origami

Larry, rugular Silver Creek usually looks like Tan Silver Creek now. Sometimes you can get more transparent S.C. But generally it looks very similar to Tan S.C. They are not the same though. I use a lot of both colors.

Otter
Old 2015-11-17, 3:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter's Flame View Post
Larry, rugular Silver Creek usually looks like Tan Silver Creek now. Sometimes you can get more transparent S.C. But generally it looks very similar to Tan S.C. They are not the same though. I use a lot of both colors.

Otter
Yes. I know but that pretty much means that resellers really cant tell them apart once the bulk packaging where they are labeled is opened. Wonder what Mary really has?
Old 2015-11-21, 7:59am
Flamewoman

I know. And I got it from ABR the king of F up.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2015-11-29, 4:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
I know. And I got it from ABR the king of F up.
I would contact ABR and discuss this with them. They might be willing to swap it out for another batch.