Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-08-10, 8:00am

Default Aurae's pearlessence

Does anyone know how to make Aurae look pearly? I made one where it happened by accident (see image). I can't remember how I did it. Reduce when cool? Hot? A little? A lot?
Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-08-10, 8:51am
Life is change. Love it

Reduce a lot when hot for more golds, cool for more blues and purples, then encase.

Beautiful bead!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-08-10, 10:15am
Entropy increasing....

Reduce then encase.
Old 2010-08-10, 8:02pm
Formerly FishBulb

That's a gorgeous bead!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-08-10, 9:30pm

Um...Kevan....lol...I am reducing, then encasing. But I have never been able to get this pearly look again. I was just asking if anyone knows how to get this result, like, tips on what type of reducing, etc.
Carolyn, I tried both ways, I still didn't get this pearly look.
I guess I was wondering if anyone had more specific instructions, you know how sometimes people say "you have to heat it a lot and then..." or "let it cool until it stops glowing..." or "stand on your head for 30 minutes"....lol

Old 2010-08-11, 2:50am
Gimme that silver glass!

Patti, on what color do you put your Aurae? On black f.e., it won't go pearly but more blue.

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2010-08-11, 4:22am

Could be from marvering - I find I get this effect in Auare & Clio if I marver - which is a bu**er if you need to marver and don't want it!
Old 2010-08-11, 5:39am
Tweedle Dumb

Ditto on the marvering, I get that cloudy look when I marver my stormed dots and don't take the time to clean up the dots with a little oxy rich flame. It's a very pretty bead!

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2010-08-11, 7:06am

I'd agree with Anouk- first off can you remember if you used a background dot on those (pale)? Since that has a big effect with Aurae being fairly transparent, then maybe look at marvering or a combination of the 2 things.
Old 2010-08-11, 7:42am
Storm Queen

I've gotten it a couple of times on accident too. I think it may be marvering and heavy reduction. I don't think background glass has anything to do with it.

Old 2010-08-11, 11:13am

Well, I do know I used a light color for the background. I will try marvering.
Shine-on - is bu**er a bad word? Those stars are both the letter "G", right? Wow, I didn't know this was a bad word, lol! Not that I use the word here in the US, but still....

Thanks for your help everyone, I'll keep playing!
Nice bead, Amy!

Old 2010-08-11, 3:11pm

Default aurae

I have gotten this effect on minor torch with propane and oxygen concentrator, reduce several times in back of flame till the spot looks pretty silvery, hold bead out of flame till you can get the dots on so you don't burn off the silver.
I use cim larkspur or pale blue to cover.

Laurie
Attached Images

Old 2010-08-11, 3:35pm

bugger is a bit of a bad word in the UK
Old 2010-08-12, 2:15am

I think I got a similar response from silver colours when I have heated them, reduced and then quickly pressed them flat while still hot with a cool tool like metal.

Regards
Kym

Bugger is a bad word everywhere I think, but pretty mild. I use it frequently and feel that it has come adrift from its mooring and wandered into 'bloody' territory.
Old 2010-08-12, 7:23am

Patti and Laurie your beads are looking gorgeous
If you remeber can you give detail explanation about how to make them? (your base color etc.)
Old 2010-08-12, 7:30am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Bugger is not a bad word here. "He sure is a cute little bugger" wouldn't be bad here - but I do think the British meaning of the word is more widely known in the US than it used to be.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-08-12, 7:44am
Tweedle Dumb

bugger is my stand in word for my 4 letter words I can't use around my kids or grandparents.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2010-08-12, 10:33am

Regarding "bugger" I think it depends on whether you are using it as a noun (that cute lil' bugger) or as a verb (he bu**ered his secretary for years.) It may also have to do with your accent! LOL!

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2010-08-12, 11:55am

Yeah, I think bugger has more umph in a British accent. lol
I knew it wasn't a nice word, I just didn't realize it was bad enough where you have to put ** for part of it, like F$#&, lol!

Cansu, not sure exactly how I made this bead. I think it's a black background. And a light color underneath the aurae, like white or opal yellow or ivory???
Reduce the aurae, cover dots with clear or a light transparent color. I also used Aurae for the surrounding dots. Reduce these, do not cover. Play around and experiment with different things.

Old 2010-08-12, 2:07pm

Thnaks a lot Patti. I'm going to try tomorrow. Hope to get the same effect.
Old 2010-08-12, 11:48pm

Post pics, Cansu!
Laurie your beads are so pretty!

Old 2010-08-13, 6:19am

Make base of dark ivory or yellow opal, I sometimes put initial dots of white to get spacing. Cover those with aurae and melt in but not too much. Reduce in back of slightly bushy flame till they go silvery, this may take several passes. I don't press them but I let it cool a bit as I find my next rod. Hold bead under the flame to cover each dot in a transparent being careful not to burn off the silvery stuff (techy term ). For the transparent I often use cim larkspur. I think for the bead Truegem wants to replicate a clear may have been used.
The light transparent blues work well and I like the teals too.

Laurie
Attached Images

Last edited by designerbeads; 2010-08-13 at 6:25am. Reason: add pic
Old 2010-08-14, 7:28am

Despite the actual meaning of Bugger - it still isn't what I would consider a rude word here in the UK if used in certain contexts.

For example - telling someone to "Bugger off" is a lot less rude than telling them to "p*** off" or "F*** off".

Teachers at school seemed to tell us to Bugger off on pretty much a daily basis or describe us as little Buggers. Whereas had they used other swear words it would have caused a bit more of a stir with the PTA I think

But then, Bugger Off and calling someone a Bugger seem to be terms all of their own and relatively harmless. Telling someone to "bugger off" is a whole lot different to telling them to go and bugger a horse or something - the latter brings to mind the actual meaning of the word. The former seldom does really unless you bothered to stop and think about it.

Emma

Projects, articles, bead galleries

Art beads, clay & supplies

Old 2010-08-14, 8:25am

Thanks for the informations. But I couldn't manage to get this pearly effect.
I've been working with Aurae for 3 hours but whatever I did , I get the same effect as small dots in the picture of Laurie. Metallic view :S
Do I wrong about the amount of my propane. But I didn't work with much propane while I'm reducing. Helppp meeeeeee.
One more thing is there anyone has detailed information about silver glasses. Maybe explanatory test batches???
Old 2010-08-14, 10:51am
Storm Queen

I played the other day. I made a solid Aurae bead, marvered and reduced it and encased in clear. It was periwinkle/lavender. I then heated it up again and as it cooled it turned cream. So that's something to try. Let the bead cool and if it's not cream colored then reheat it and see if it changes color.

Old 2010-08-15, 12:49pm
Bead maker and bead buyer

What clear did you use, Amy? I used lauscha and the bead turned chartruese.
Old 2010-08-15, 4:20pm

Oh good one, Amy, I'll try that.
Cansu - there are tutorial booklets for sale on working with silver glass.
Here's one:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/51360446...s%5B1%5D=title

Old 2010-08-16, 9:18am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damselfly View Post
What clear did you use, Amy? I used lauscha and the bead turned chartruese.
I think I used Aether but it could have been Reichenbach.

Old 2010-08-17, 1:44pm

Thanks for the link Patti.
By the way, I'm still have a problem about Aurae. I tried ivory, white, green below Aurae but when I reduced a bit, all the colors changes like a gold.
is there someone has any prediction about my mistake?

cansu
Old 2010-08-17, 10:19pm
Bead maker and bead buyer

Thanks, Amy *S* I don't have either of those. Maybe I'll try my pale aqua instead.