Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-05-02, 11:05am
Grounded from da Torch =(

Default Precision 104 colors and Diamond Clear?

Hey all. I haven't been able to set my studio up in over 5 years, and now that I have my torch running again, I find things that I forgot I had.. like the silver glasses from Precision and didn't even realize I was using the diamond clear until I pulled out a rod of the old Moretti (ugh).

I poked around the interwebs, and am having a hard time finding some of the colors .. mainly those Precision (R4?) Colors like the Diamond Clear and ?Davinci? Double Amber Purple.. any idea where they went? New manufacturer? Name changes? I see a very small amount on ABR Imagery, but having a hard time deciding if they are actually still in business?

Thanks anyone who can help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
8M w/ SM7 tip, 1 oxycon, house pressure propane wo0t.
Old 2016-05-02, 11:49am

The last batch of Diamond Clear had some cracking and scumming issues. I am not sure exactly when that was, but you should be able to search here on Diamond Clear and find threads on it.

Paula at FlameDame sold Precision. She may have more insight. Ron and Rocio sold it, but they have moved on I think, trying to focus on boro. Frantz has one color. Not sure about the rest. Seems like maybe they are gone.
Old 2016-05-02, 1:36pm

Wow, that make me sad... What's being used for clear/casing these days?

Old 2016-05-02, 3:04pm
Favorite color is shiny

Default Listening for answers....

I have a similar story to Sheri.... I've been away from my torch for way too long and had the same exact questions. As I'm going through my glass, cleaning it and organizing I found un-labled glass and had difficulty figuring out name and numbers. Needless to say LE has been so helpful. Still have a few pounds I'm trying to ID...whew* Years ago, I KNEW everything about my glass stash but now, I'm a little rusty or should I say fragmented when it comes to the specifics.

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!

---> LE
Old 2016-05-02, 3:26pm

Double Helix has the best clears. Zephyr and Aether - just as good, if not better than Diamond Clear was before it was discontinued. CiM has a decent new clear called Experimental.

Old 2016-05-02, 4:17pm
Fried Cat

Precision and Tag has stopped making 104 because Boro is keeping them too busy. They couldn't handle the bulk demand for Boro and continue with 104 production.
Old 2016-05-02, 6:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGA View Post
Precision and Tag has stopped making 104 because Boro is keeping them too busy. They couldn't handle the bulk demand for Boro and continue with 104 production.
That is good to know, I was wondering if they were ever going to make more
Old 2016-05-02, 7:18pm
Fried Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinesbeads View Post
That is good to know, I was wondering if they were ever going to make more
One of them, if I understand it correctly, said they aren't opposed to another run someday. I think TAG has said that. The other, again if I have my facts straight, has completely discontinued it.

I think a very small, smidgen worth of reason, is because marijuana has started to become legal and the pipe craze is huge. But that's my hypothesis. The discontinuation came from two instructors who travel to teach silver glass and used other things than double helix.
Old 2016-05-02, 7:43pm

I really appreciate that input. Ilk have to check out the double helix clear. I was eyeballing it earlier. Guess I'll have to poke around and see if I can get lucky enough to find some odds and ends of the other Precision colors that are gone. Thank you! Welcome back, Lynn!