Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2009-08-14, 5:29am
Space Cadet

Default Any and all (104) glass vendors ...... a question for you.

I guess I'm sort of cheating by posting this here instead of contacting you all individually but what the heck.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I figure that other folks may be able to use this info as well.

How many pounds of 104 glass can you squeeze into a flat rate box to Australia ?
We're talking the ( $42.00 ? ) box.

Thanks.
Old 2009-08-14, 7:02am
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

Hi Sally, you will likely get many different answers! Each vendor has their own way of packing.

For me, the standard size flat rate box this is what I tell my customers:

8 pounds - very safely
10 pounds - likely safe, maybe a smidge of breakage, but quite often just fine
12 pounds - maxed, likely to be a some breakage

We can pack them the best we can, but once it leaves our hands, it really depends on how the box is handled in route to you when it is packed so heavy.

Edited to add: even though that is the weight of the glass, because the glass has to go into the box at an angel, there are two side pockets where "stuff" can be packed in there as well. Tools, frit, release, etc.

Old 2009-08-14, 7:45am
Space Cadet

Thanks JameyLynn,
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

That's one of the reasons I thought I'd ask the question.
In the past I've been told anything from 8 lb - 20 lb and didn't quite get why there was such a big difference.

I think we're all in the same boat as far as wanting to get the most out of shipping fees, just more so now with
the exchange rate being so bad.

Thanks again.

Last edited by *Sally*; 2009-08-14 at 7:56am.
Old 2009-08-14, 7:54am
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

You can get up to the full allowed weight of the box (20 pounds for product and packaging is the limit) if you don't mind getting short rods. The rods can be cut in 1/2, but not many people like getting 6-7 inch rods, but you could order 19 pounds of glass that way, it would fit (leaving a pound of for the box and packing materials)

Old 2009-08-14, 8:02am
Space Cadet

Alrighty then, that could be where the 20 lb figure came from.

It really had me stumped why there was such a huge difference in weights.
Old 2009-08-14, 8:09am

Agreed! I prefer around 8 lbs myself. Then it leaves a bit of peanut room on top and bottom. But so you know...I just filled an order approx 12 lbs to Australia of Silver Glass and it was cheaper going normal priority than flat rate. That's happened quite often actually.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-08-14, 8:24am

I can usually get 18 lbs of 13 inch glass into the flat rate box.
Paula

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-08-14, 8:42am
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

Irene, I would love to know how you got 12 pounds to cost less then flat rate! On the USPS website, it is showing 12 pounds at $77.85 dollars.

Last edited by Howaco; 2009-08-14 at 8:46am. Reason: typo
Old 2009-08-14, 8:53am
Space Cadet

Quote:
Irene, I would love to know how you got 12 pounds to cost less then flat rate! On the USPS website, it is showing 12 pounds at $77.85 dollars.
Ooh, so would I.
Old 2009-08-14, 9:42am

Me too!!!

Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-08-14, 10:21am

LOL So would I!! The post office that I go to says it's my "Lucky Days". Glitches in the system or something. I have not once gotten one back either.
I have an order in front of me that's 9 1/2 lbs. I'm staring at the flat box going..this isn't going to work. How can you get 18 lbs in one of these and it make it there alive? Or am I just too worried and it handles that weight quite easy??? I don't want to skimp on the peanuts on the bottom or the top but I'm not sure if more peanuts is better than bubble wrap or the other way around....Still trying to figure it out

Old 2009-08-14, 10:50am

This is 9 1/2 lbs of glass in a large flat rate box. You can see the tiny area on top left for peanuts. I'd say no more then 10 lbs would be my personal choice unless rods were cut in half.
Hope this helps get a visual! Sorry for pic...crappy lighting using phone

Old 2009-08-14, 10:56am

Personally, if it meant I got more glass & paid less shipping, I'd use 9" rods!
(I told bought "short" 10" rods of kinari from someone in the garage sale, & the "original" ASK glass came that way in samplers & really, it's not *that* big of a deal to me--just melt it on to the next rod when it gets short!)--why pay extra for the length if you can get almost twice the glass for half the shipping by cutting it in half?

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-08-14, 11:02am
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

Reenie, you can get that 9 1/2 pounds into a medium box, no problem.

I am swamped right now, have to get the orders out, but I can take pictures when I am packing one up today and post them later this evening. There are a couple tricks to getting the necessary peanuts around the glass that you need for a safe transport. There is no way I can describe it, pictures will be much better. (like when I put my body weight on one portion of the box. Yup, that one is hard to visualize, a picture will be better.)

Old 2009-08-14, 11:45am

Welcome to the Jamey Lynn School of Packing and Shipping...Admission will be collected at the door!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-08-14, 12:56pm
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

$5.00 please

Old 2009-08-14, 1:11pm

Jamey I think I know what your talking about. You put the glass in diagonal and then cram both ends between the glass and the corners with peanuts. (make the box kind of wonky at this point) Then I firmly add as many peanuts to the side...and then on top...Well I understand put your body on top and tape shut while holding the box together thingy...I'm a pro at it now lol.
The box never closes up as it's meant to be and it's not perfectly square anymore but if that glass can't move around at all....It's usually a good bet it won't break~
I've been very lucky~
I don't have any of the medium flat rate but maybe that's something I can order today.
I wish they were just deeper. The length is fine (except for Bullseye) but if could just be a little bit deeper, I'd feel better

Old 2009-08-14, 2:23pm
I need more boro stuff

Quote:
I can usually get 18 lbs of 13 inch glass into the flat rate box.
Paula
Hehe you did ... to me LOL

Old 2009-08-14, 4:20pm
Just Me

I have had several orders that have been arround the 18 lb mark! They all come intact and have had NO breakage so far! (knocking on evey bit of wood I can find)
It seems to be a matter of finding the vendors that will do it for you. It maks it a bit hard for us sometimes when the postage works out to be more than the glass.
But Paula I'm gonna come shoppin over there! Best of luck with your order. It has been my experience that EVERYONE here does their best and it is great!

Remember it's already tomorrow in Australia!
Old 2009-08-14, 4:43pm

Hehe. I have done it several times. And so far so good. Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-08-14, 5:16pm
Space Cadet

Quote:
Reenie, you can get that 9 1/2 pounds into a medium box, no problem.
Another question for you all if I may.

Does the price vary for the different sized boxes ?

I thought there was only one size used for glass.

Last edited by *Sally*; 2009-09-21 at 8:22am.
Old 2009-08-14, 5:21pm
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

For flat rate boxes, there are 3 sizes. The small is really small. Then the medium, and the large is what is in Reenie's picture. There is also a flat rate envelope. LOL< Yes, I have shipped glass in the envelope! It made it. Not recommended though.

If you are not shipping in a flat rate box, you can use any size box you want to.

Old 2009-08-14, 5:55pm

I picked up the medium today. Actually there are 2 mediums. One is long but the cardboard is really flimsy. The other is like the large flat rate box but of course smaller. It's maybe a little bit longer then 10 inches. Usually the glass goes in "catacorner" if that makes sense. There's a 3 dollar apprx different. The small is for like DVD's...etc.
But like was said earlier, we'll ship any way you want it to go and if it doesn't fit, we make it fit...I've cut rods down for Australian customers before. they don't mind. If you don't I don't kind of thing. Shipping can get pretty pricey so I understand trying to get the best price.

Old 2009-08-14, 6:16pm

There is about a $10.00 difference between the medium and the large flat rate box. The exact numbers are on the USPS website which I am too busy to go to right this second.
Paula

Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2009-08-14 at 9:28pm.
Old 2009-08-14, 7:16pm
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

Reenie, sounds like you have the packing figured, saves me, or I should say you, from my horrible picture taking skills!

The difference between the medium and large box is $11.40. There are two mediums, but for the more square size, the rods would absolutely have to be cut, the box is not large enough for any rods to fit in.

What sucks, IMHO, though, is even though you pay that much more for the large box, you are not allowed to put any more weight in it. 20 pounds max. That includes the box. So technically, you can pack less in the large box, because the large box weighs more.

Old 2009-08-14, 7:28pm
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

If it's what I'm thinking, the other medium long box you are referring to is called a shoe box.

Last edited by Elegance_1; 2009-08-14 at 7:30pm.
Old 2009-08-14, 7:45pm
Just Me

What sucks is that the post office ( going both directions
) makes tons of money! They might make more if it was reasonable. LOL I think the best way to go is to save up go for a trip! Pack it all on a pallet yourself and put it on a ship. It will take about 10 - 12 weeks to arrive but hey!You get a holiday and heaps of glass.
You might also get to make new friends and learn new things! We should get a group together and go! Then the pallet would be even cheaper cause you can share!
LOL

Remember it's already tomorrow in Australia!
Old 2009-08-14, 7:52pm
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

The shoebox is not flat rate. That IS my favoriate box to ship in when I can. Stuff just fits in there soooo nice!

I'm still waiting to hear that congress has made a decision. The USPS went in front of them well over a month ago to get permission to not make home deliverys on Saturdays anymore. They just want home delivery on M-F. Commercial businesses and express/overnights will still be delivered, but no Mr Mailperson for homes.

Old 2009-08-14, 7:54pm

Quote:
If it's what I'm thinking, the other medium long box you are referring to is called a shoe box.
No the Shoe box is regular priority mail. I just placed an order for more boxes so I downloaded pis as well

Large Flat Rate 12 x 12 x5 1/2

Medium somewhere around 10 inches long

Medium 2..will fit regular rods but they are diagonal. Box is thin!

Small Flat rate for DVD's etc

Old 2009-08-14, 7:55pm

Wow..I'm sorry those are so big. I just copied and pasted it without really looking.
I agree Jamey...those shoe boxes are my favorite.