LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2015-08-15, 1:35am

Default Tank Storage

I'm working out where to set everything up in my house and I'm wondering what's the safest option for tank storage. I'd rather not store them outside as I'd have to drill holes through my wall, but I'd also rather not die a horrible fiery death.
Old 2015-08-15, 4:43am
Phill

We have extensive conversations along with links to other forums you can search from.

Probably best to look here in safety and my studio threads.

Use quotation marks to avoid getting a metric ton of results with only one word from the search blank.

But you already have the basic premise summed up pretty well.

Holes in the wall can be patched when it comes time to sell and bringing in lines through the basement / foundation and then up through the floor is going to be the better bet when you can make that work.

Using larger piping through the wall and placing smaller pipe in that with stuffing and caulking between the two to keep out drafts and critters can allow you to remove the inner pipe and put a cap on both ends once you remove you studio.

It is a good idea to mount shut off valves on both sides of the wall for each line. It is a question of over kill until the day comes along when some thing happens and you wish you did not have to run outside and shut one off in a hurry and then the couple of extra bucks insurance will be some of the best money you will have ever spent in you lifetime. Plus mounting the shut off valves will anchor the pipes to a foundation of some kind and you wont have them moving around and loosening the packing and the caulking.

Propane sinks in air so be sure to have some holes at the bottom of any enclosure you put your bottles in and since critters love dark places you should put some window type screen over the holes unless you like getting surprised by bees and bugs and whatnot.

You only have to learn import details once for each studio you install but it really pays to learn it all well once because your house hold insurance company will search for months to find a way to NOT pay for any damages they can pin on you for anything else that happens. If a California wild fire runs up you street and levels the entire block the insurance company will deny your claim because you did not have your propane lines installed according to code.

Good luck, study hard and ask questions.

Oh and welcome to the addiction!

Last edited by Speedslug; 2015-08-15 at 11:22am.
Old 2015-08-15, 6:56am
Loving learning

Plus it is illegal to have propane tanks in the house (at least the bbq size) I believe.
And welcome!
Old 2015-08-15, 11:26am
Phill

It is probably going to be hard for anyone to make suggestions on how to go about it since we don't have a clue as to where you live or what kind of building you are in or what kind of weather you are likely to get.
Old 2015-08-15, 8:06pm

I've been doing some research and it looks like a storage shed outside with the lines routed through the wall is the best option. I own the house, so no big deal. I live in Ohio, my only concern is using the tanks in winter.
Old 2015-08-16, 1:07am
Phill

I have seen folks just put a bucket upside down over the regulators.
lift up easy for turning them on and off and keeps the sun, snow and rain off.

Don't forget to try to keep your torch hose out of the sun. Running the twin hoses through two inch pvc piping from the tanks shed to the house wall works although the grey electrical conduit stuff puts up with the uv rays better I think.