Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2010-03-21, 10:02pm
Somebody's watching me!

Default cylinder transport

hello folks,

noobie on the two fuel torch here!

Could someone discuss a step by step on the transport of an oxygen cylinder? here is what i know about cylinder safety:

1) always chain your tank to a sturdy structure
2) never remove the valve cap/crown/cover from the tank until it is chained to a secure structure.

so what's next? how do i move it to the car(if that's even legal)? how do i get it there(with or without a dolly)? How do YOU transport your tank for a refill?

Any tips (in part or in whole) will be a huge help. Any link to laws or FAQs on cylinder webpages would be great also!

Thanks!
Old 2010-03-22, 8:26am
Gentleman of Leisure

You can transport small oxygen in car (preferably trunk) large cylinders are quite heavy and unless you have the muscle it becomes a real hassle/job to handle the weight...

150 cu.ft. = 65lbs
220 cu.ft. = 114 lbs
250 cu.ft. = 115 lbs
300 cu.ft. = 134 lbs

http://www.worthingtoncylinders.com/...ress.sflb.ashx

Anything smaller than 150 cu.ft. you will probably spend more time going back and forth to oxygen supplier than you will at torch....

Many places WILL NOT load into automobile any more because of liability issues... To find a place that will load for you is probably going to be a "exception"....

And for moving cylinders, there are "dollys/carts" specifically for the purpose, but there is the awkward time getting cylinder into car and or out of car...

A pick-up is probably more suited for cylinder transport but you also have to secure tank in truck bed so it does not "move around" around during transport....

Some oxygen suppliers may deliver for extra fee, but most do not do residential deliveries.... Maybe consider setting up a studio in a industrial area?

These are general observations and experiences, your situation may be quite different...

Maybe you might want to consider a oxygen concentrator....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-03-22, 8:37am
Somebody's watching me!

Hey dale,

Thanks for the response. I pretty much figured out that the loading and unloading would be an issue. I will probably have to get two to three smaller 150cu/ft tanks and load them into my car or truck. I could probably handle the 250, but would rather not... I think my main concern is securing the tanks. But like you say, try an oxy con. I may spend more money on a dolly, rentals, refills, and TIME than it's worth!

I have some thinking to do.
Old 2010-03-22, 8:47am
ManBearPig

I tilt my cylinder on the edge and roll it. Works fine. The guys at the oxygen place can do two at a time, but I've never been brave enough to try it.

I transport them to my oxygen place in the back of a pickup. I have a little wooden frame thing that I threw together that basically keeps the tanks in place and keeps them from banging together.

Old 2010-03-23, 8:28am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I have a pulley setup over the garage door. I back the pickup up to the door opening, throw a sling around the cylinder about mid length (balance point) and hoist it up to clear the truck bed. I then tilt the cylinder horizontal and swing it into the truck. As I let out line I push the cylinder further into the bed. Easy! Reverse when I get back. I do 3 or 4 at a time. I've been going to the same guys for so long that they help me load/unload at the welding shop. His loading dock is such that the lift comes down even with the truck tailgate annd he just slides the cylinders into the bed. I use my pulley to slide them out far enough to grab with a sling.
Old 2010-03-31, 9:53am
Somebody's watching me!

ok, so with this thread and now going through getting my first cylinder, here is what happened:

1) go to shop, set up an account for renting a tank. it is $0.29/day and 22.17 after taxes and fees for refill.

2) I wait a couple days for my credit/background check to clear (or whatever they check when setting up an account).

3) I go pick up my cylinder in my work truck...they have a truckbed height loading dock...they loaded it in to the bed for me with the cap facing the cab. the cylinder was laying flat in the bed of the truck.

4) it is wedged between toolboxes so rolling around wasn't an issue.

5) i got home...lowered the tailgate...slid the butt end of the tank out and to the ground with the tank leaning against the tailgate. I picked it up, rolled it to spot, chained it up, done.

Now: here are the guidelines for transporting oxy:
There really aren't any other than make sure the tank wont roll around. You can put it in an enclosed cab or you can put it in the bed of the truck.

You CAN NOT transport a fuel gas in an enclosed car or cab.

other than that, it was easy peesy. I can post some pictures of my process if you guys would like to see them. i just wanted to follow up on what i did.

-justin