Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2012-07-06, 9:57pm
Bead semi-newbie

Default glass storage in front of windows

just figuring out my new 20'x10' (just under permit requirements here, yay) studio and i have 5 nice sized windows that are above the bench level. i want to store my 104 and a bit of boro glass in front of the windows so that i can see the true color. has anyone ever done this and how did you do it? a friend brought up the problem of opening the windows, they go sideways, and yes i do want to be able to open my windows. got any ideas? thanks
LOVE silver glass
Old 2012-07-07, 6:56am

maybe look into getting one of those vinyl (transparent too) hanging rack of pockets...i think they're made to hang on a door (closets) but could be made to attach to a curtain rod or something.

i forget which thread and which LE member, but someone did something like that recently i saw.
Old 2012-07-07, 6:56am

4th post in this thread:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=226447
Old 2012-07-07, 7:33am
Mr Brutus RIP

what about using the pvc downspouts, the light would still come in I would think and if you built a wooden frame around it and didn't go all the way up to the window.........OH or you could build a small frame inside that you could reach into and open the window.....like an empty rectangle in the center.......just a thought

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-07-07, 3:05pm
Bead semi-newbie

i was hoping, and still hope, somebody has a nifty photo of their solution and thanks to you two for thinking outside the box for me.

i saw the 4th post in the thread but i don't want to totally cover the windows.

Thanks for the down spouts, i already have them sitting flat on my desk now with glass but they are white and about the size of a rod so putting them vertically won't work unless i cut the buggers in half. hummmm if i cut them down and put them vertically on a windowsill i will have to add........i have so many windows that that might work. i will post my solution but would still like to get more ideas from the brain trust. thanks
LOVE silver glass
Old 2012-07-07, 3:30pm

My windows that open sideways have a latch that can be positioned anywhere along the vertical side. Perhaps if yours does that, you could position the latch at the very bottom (or very top if in reach) and then don't build your shelving all the way to the sill. Leave yourself enough room to unlatch and slide open.

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2012-07-08, 9:32am
Bead semi-newbie

hadn't thought of that aspect, just thinking of opening and closing. can't wait for the drywall to go up so i can begin to actually envision and measure. thanks. instead of recutting 15 downspouts (which they did originally at the hardware store for me ) the local dollar store has cylinder glass vases that i have some stuff in already......gee this is fun.
LOVE silver glass
Old 2012-07-08, 11:03am
Chief Creative Goddess

Hey you're in town! I need to come say hi and we can brain bust together!!

Old 2012-07-08, 12:30pm
Salt Box Beads

Hi Sara, you could build a large elongated open top wood box about 16" tall" X 24' deep x 48" long. Then build a wood cart with wheels to set it on the height you want.

Set the box or attach it to the rolling wood cart.

Then install wood cubbies or PVC cubbies so the glass stands upright in the box.

You can easily see every color in the sunlight, you can move the cart around at will, easily open and close the windows and not have much if any of the window blocked.

It would hold a ton of glass.
Old 2012-07-08, 12:40pm

I'm with Lorraine on this one - with one little addition. Harbor Freight has a dolly with wheels already made for you, that will hold up to 1,000 pounds. I think the cheapest is $9.99? http://www.harborfreight.com/movers-dolly-93888.html Two other dollies are made of hard plastic and they can hold more weight and are a bit more expensive than the wooden one.

You could get the clear plastic shoe boxes, and stack them one on top of another with the dolly underneath so that you could always switch them around.

Ikea might also have a boxed cube storage that you could put on top of the dolly.

Let us know what you come up with!

Barbara

Barbara

Last edited by 28676bhe; 2012-07-08 at 1:14pm.
Old 2012-07-08, 2:12pm
Bead semi-newbie

Sadie May: PLEASE COME SEE ME, i am sooooo lonely as the only lampworker in Plumas County CA. i talk to myself but don't learn anything. if you come over, we can then go swimming when we melt, it is in the mid 90s today, i'll cook later. phone: 530-836-1762
LOVE silver glass
Old 2012-07-08, 4:44pm
hi ho hi ho its off to ..

heres my solution, excuse the messy bench please.

I use piping for built in vacuum cleaners its 2" diameter and costs $4.00 for a ten foot length I cut it to 11" lengths ( I like the rods sticking out a little for easy picking)

People who call me weird think I should take it personally. if you really want to upset me you should call me normal !!!

on

Old 2012-07-08, 4:54pm
Chief Creative Goddess

Oooooooooh, swooning over color!
Wow, that really helps see the color of each glass!
Mine is in a big metal file cabinet, on the top shelf so I can leave the door open, but can't see it too well.....

Old 2012-07-08, 4:56pm
Chief Creative Goddess

yeah, gotta love it when the transparents glow like that!

And youbetcha, Sara, I'm coming to visit!
Might have to be after the Gathering--time is getting short around here, but I'm NOT missing YOU this year!!!!!!

Old 2012-07-09, 9:14am
Bead semi-newbie

sounds like a plan, see you after the gathering. i have a studio rather than going to the gathering. hope they swap east and west coast every other year.

The light through the glass is the effect i was looking for, great. thanks
LOVE silver glass
Old 2012-07-11, 8:40am
tiptrinket

How is that working out for you to have your torch in front of the window? I am building a studio and my torch is going to be in front of a window.
But, when I have gone out to torch on my hot head, with the scenery from the sky, trees, etc. I can't see my flame. So, I temporaily put up an aluminum cookie sheet up and that helps.
Just wondering if the background scenery is preventing you from seeing your flame.
It looks like from pictures that I have seen, that most people torch facing a wall.

Old 2012-07-11, 9:08am
Bead semi-newbie

i haven't set up yet, my DH is a perfectionist and so i hope i live to see the dry wall go up. I got the "can't see the flame" thing when i do outdoor demos and know that's bad. 2 of my windows face the no-sun-coming-in side of the building but thanks for the reminder. before piping in the gas, i will check to make sure I can see my flame and i also have wall space -- if that's a problem. you'd think getting me out of "his" garage would hurry him up.............
LOVE silver glass
Old 2012-07-13, 10:24am
Formerly Fancypants

I am still adding all my glass and rods in my studio (office trailer at one time) and I will be torching where there are windows completely behind my torch area, I used an old message board, made of cork, it's about 2 1/2ft by 3ft. covered it with flashing and painted it black.
When I have everything put in it's place, I will post pictures.

Old 2012-07-13, 10:52am

Ooh Mark, what a great place to work!

Old 2012-07-13, 1:27pm
hi ho hi ho its off to ..

The windows you see in the photos are north facing so the sun is not a big problem except late in the afternoon .... when the kilns are just about full any way .... the view can be distracting at times but when I get distracted that easily I should be doing something else anyway

People who call me weird think I should take it personally. if you really want to upset me you should call me normal !!!

on

Old 2012-07-22, 5:57pm

this is what my DH built for me. it is on wheels and sits in front of a sliding glass door ( you can see the curtain behind it). I move it to my torch area when I am torching and wheel it out of the way when not torching.
Attached Images

Old 2012-07-22, 6:50pm

Oh Autumn that's fantastic! Did your husband use an old dresser? That looks so awesome and love the fact it's on rollers.

My Ebay
Old 2012-07-22, 10:47pm

No he did not use an old dresser, it is built from scratch.

Old 2014-10-18, 12:46pm

Autum, the material your husband used for the storage cubes, what is it please? I've seen that somewhere before and for the life of me I just can't remember where I saw it or what it is. Thanks!

Houston, TX
Old 2014-10-18, 12:53pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I saw 2 very nice wooden media cabinets yesterday at our local "foundary" which is similar to a good will store. The were both about 7' tall & had removable shelves. I'm thinking something like that would be nice to stick pvc pipe or similar storage things in to. They're build sturdy & people are moving away from them to get the wall mounted TV's.

Vivian

-

Old 2014-10-18, 7:50pm
Bead semi-newbie

a note from an earthquake country resident..........i would screw any cabinet of any height to the wall. it would be like pick up sticks to clean up if a tall cabinet fell over. oh, the humanity.
LOVE silver glass
Old 2014-10-18, 8:01pm
Bead semi-newbie

Default glass jars of rods in window

in reviewing this thread, i never did post any photos of the finished effect of the jars of glass rods in the windows. love it. damn, i reduced the pixels so much you can't see the photo very clearly, too tired to fix, you get the idea.
LOVE silver glass

Tags
glass storage, studio, windows