Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-07-07, 10:44am

Default Val Cox Favorites?

Hey there! I've been lampworking for a couple years, but now I am finally able to do it on more than a shoestring budget (much success adult!). So I'm just now getting around to the more fun experiments with commercial frit, reactive glass, different presses etc.
I'm placing an order for a couple jars of Val Cox frit blends later this week. Of course as soon as I get on the website I just want all of them. I've slowly pared it down to Riverdance, Sweet Sixteen, and samples of a few interesting looking ones like Strawfire, and Montmartre.

I'd love to know what particular blends people recommend, and what your "Goto Val Cox haul" looks like.
Old 2016-07-08, 7:16am
FatCat Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by emikanj2 View Post
Snip.... I've slowly pared it down to Riverdance, Sweet Sixteen, and samples of a few interesting looking ones like Strawfire, and Montmartre.

I'd love to know what particular blends people recommend, and what your "Goto Val Cox haul" looks like.
I have loads of frit (seriously, loads) but I don't think I have any of those you mentioned so I can't give an opinion on them. One thing for you to consider is that frit doesn't necessarily look the same on a bead as it does in the jar. Took me a long time to keep that in mind while frit shopping. It's wonderful now that frit sellers tend to have pics of the frit on beads.

My favorite Val blends are Boro Bora, Ocelot Spots, Meadow Blues, and I know there's more. I'll come back and post those after I've gone downstairs to the studio.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure it will be gorgeous. Have fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2016-07-08, 7:25am

Okay here goes: (I'm a frit 'ho don't ya know)

Enchanted
Gold Coast
Rio Nights
Sadie Hawkins
Chintz

There are more ... some are no longer on the website ... could be just out of stock at the moment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2016-07-08, 8:12am

I agree with boro bora and ocelot spots, and would add cherry blossom.
Old 2016-07-08, 8:46am

River dance and sweet sixteen are both awesome. I have several of her blends. Great choice going with Val. Her products are great and her service is top notch. Fastest shipping out there for Frits. Go to Two Glassy Ladies website. They are in Canada I believe. She has color testing and examples of almost all the Valcox Frits which should help you see how they looked worked.
Old 2016-07-08, 8:47am

It's twoglassyladies.ca
Old 2016-07-08, 9:17am
FatCat Mama

Also

House of Blues
Winter Blues
(Apparently I'm drawn to blues. I never noticed that.)

not on her site currently:
Glow
Rubies and Gold

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2016-07-08, 12:52pm

Great suggestions!
And oh my goodness yes Shabrea I spent hours on Amy Hall's site the other day. It just made me want all of them. I'm probably going to spend days on just frit beads after the order comes in.

I like the look of Ocelot Spots and it seemed like it would be versatile because even if you don't reduce it you still have a nice neutral blend, but I'm still on a hot head and Val mentioned that hot heads would be too cool to react the Jitterbug blends. Anyone know if Ocelot Spots will reduce on a hot head? I feel like it should...
Sorry, more of a glass tech question than a frit question.
Old 2016-07-08, 12:55pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Bora Bora & Cherry Blossoms

Vivian

-

Old 2016-07-08, 2:31pm
Live and Let Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by emikanj2 View Post
Great suggestions!
And oh my goodness yes Shabrea I spent hours on Amy Hall's site the other day. It just made me want all of them. I'm probably going to spend days on just frit beads after the order comes in.

I like the look of Ocelot Spots and it seemed like it would be versatile because even if you don't reduce it you still have a nice neutral blend, but I'm still on a hot head and Val mentioned that hot heads would be too cool to react the Jitterbug blends. Anyone know if Ocelot Spots will reduce on a hot head? I feel like it should...
Sorry, more of a glass tech question than a frit question.
A HotHead will work with reducing / reduction frits easily because it is naturally a low-oxygen flame chemistry. The Jitterbug type frit requires 'striking' (high heat) and the HotHead typically can't produce a hot enough flame to work them.

Old 2016-07-08, 5:17pm

Yup what glass galore said. If in doubt just email Val and tell her your favs and ask if they work well on a hot head, she is very nice to work with
Old 2016-07-27, 8:36pm

I also love enchanted! and its still on her site

Tags
coe 96, favorite blend, favorite frit, frit, frit blends, new addiction, val cox