Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2009-10-15, 7:54pm

Default Housekeeper Seals

This is a type of glass too metal seal. I am wanting to do scientific and artistic glass, and this is the best of both worlds. This was done on an imitation HH. I have no ability to get a gather on my torch, but a bobcat is only a few months away!!

so they are pretty small. Both have small cracks after 30min, but with proper annealing I think it could be done. I only have vermiculite right now.
This kind of stuff is done regularly in scinetific glass with 33, 90, 96, all kinds of glass. These are 104. They are slightly blue because of the copper ions diffusing throught the glass.

Steps to make them will be coming tommorow.
Old 2009-10-24, 5:00am

I don't understand what the point of these is. Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising, I just don't get it. What on earth are housekeeper seals ???????????
BTW I think the blue cast is quite cool

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-10-24, 3:19pm

Yes, what is a housekeeper seal?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-10-24, 3:28pm
Critter Mom

I'm not understanding either. I know if I wanted to I could make a bead on an uncoated mandrel for a garden ornament, or a key to wear, etc. And you can imbed metal mesh and such in glass...glass does stick to metal. But I've never heard it called a "Housekeeper Seal" ?

Old 2009-10-24, 7:46pm
honorary bead lady

The technique of joining copper to glass, by using a feather edge, was perfected by Housekeeper in 1923, and such seals are often referred to as Housekeeper seals.

Here is some info on housekeeper seals...
http://www.r-type.org/static/glas-met.htm
Old 2009-10-24, 8:43pm
Critter Mom

That's a very interesting article David, thanks. Now I get it...don't think I'll be trying it any time soon, but I do understand what Meker's talking about now.