Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2009-12-07, 7:48pm

Default Puffy mandrels? Blow pipes>>how

Hi All,

This may have been discussed before, but I would really like some info on using the puffy mandrels and blow pipes. Cant seem to get it. Also, I had bought pateint,s hand tut on ornaments, loved it but cant afford tubing right now. I do have both of the above mentioned tools. I have some things in a gallery and would like to get some ornaments made with rod . Thanks so much all.
Old 2009-12-07, 10:40pm

Check this out:

http://www.justin.tv/s/kMlGbLg/clip/417f336584c084c5

It is Joe Holford from Avenue Beads technique.

Different than how I've been doing it, can't wait to try it out.

Laura
Old 2009-12-13, 12:41pm
tweetysweetie

Laura, that link lead to a "account suspended" notice...

Mother..did you purchase your puffies from Geri Whartig? She shows how to use them in her book GlassBead Workshop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-12-13, 2:25pm

Weird. I just reclicked the link and went to the ornament blowing tut again.

You can try getting to it from Avenue Beads site and I think you go into blogs.

I've been coiling my ornaments on an end of a hollow mandrel. (not using the puffy mandrels though I have those too for hollow beads).

The coil method works but I have difficulty getting the coil marks out near the top. Looks like I need a marble mold to do some smoothing before final blow!!!

Didn't try Joe's method yet. Was uninspired in that area yesterday when I torched. I stuck with lightweight stuff since I hadn't torched in a month. Getting really COLD in the studio. Probably won't spend much flame time now until March. Come on Springtime.

Laura
Old 2009-12-13, 4:55pm

Ok I loved it BUT... what does he do at the end to get it off the mandrel and put a hook or something on it ?? LOL

Old 2009-12-13, 5:06pm

He doesn't show it but I hope he uses bead release on the end of the mandrel. (that is what I do). Several vendors sell ornament "bails?" that have the cap and wire that spring loads down in the hole.

The glasboken (I probably spelled it wrong) or ornaments done from a tube you score with a glass blade and snap them off.

I haven't attempted that yet. All my tube play has been "play" and unsuccessful play at that. Maybe by next Christmas I'll get my tube work figured out.

Laura
Old 2009-12-14, 9:14am

Hi All,

Coiled method is easier for me too, but that took practice too. I watched video and this artist said he did not use bead release, but I did bc I dont have not fingers. Had some luck, but need more PPP! Thanks for all responses. I am trying to get them to balance without blowing a hole in the side. Off to torch for more practice. I have some of my small christmas balls in a local gallery. I truly hope to get the hang of it. The puffy mandrel seems to be the hardest for me to do. Lets keep this going ty
Old 2009-12-14, 9:30am
AKA: Noodlesaurus

www.jeribeads.com

or
,~Punties, Mandrels,Beads.....GTT Phantom....
Old 2009-12-14, 2:28pm
tweetysweetie

Noodle..thanks for posting that link

Lamp..today I tried going to that link again...it didn't say account suspended this time...now it tells me I don't have access to that site, I'm blocked! lol just another day in paradise.....is it the Glassbloken tut? I've seen that before, very good.

Old 2009-12-14, 4:34pm

I just used the link, went right the ornament blowing tut - nice one!

Could someone post a link to the venders who sell the ornament cap and wire? I have tried a search, maybe I didn't stick with it long enough?!

Thanks,

Shirley
Old 2009-12-14, 7:19pm
AKA: Noodlesaurus

I used a bead cap and ribbion... after you epoxied the cap in place it isn't going anywhere and the ribbion is there to hang it... tie a knot in the end and slide it through the cap then epoxy.....

or
,~Punties, Mandrels,Beads.....GTT Phantom....
Old 2009-12-14, 7:27pm

Thanks, Kris! That is a great idea!

Shirley