Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2007-10-07, 4:21pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Smile My Very Basic Photoshop Bead Photo Editing Tutorial!

Hi guys, I just finished making the photo editing tut, if you are not familiar with photo editing, this is the tut for you. I hope somebody will find this useful!
Thank you for checking!

My Easy Basic Bead Photography Tutorial

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by born2snooze; 2011-06-05 at 11:36pm.
Old 2007-10-07, 4:50pm
boro color bender

Awesome! I'll bet that helps a lot of people...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2007-10-07, 5:02pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Thank you Mr. Smiley! And for making the beautiful bead too!

Old 2007-10-07, 5:46pm
formerly JewelsByJenny

I just got photoshop elements and am in the learning process. Thank you so much, I bet it will help a lot!

Jenny

Old 2007-10-07, 11:56pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Let me know how do you like it, Jenny!
I never seen Element before, but I bet they have the same basic tools.

Old 2007-10-08, 2:04pm

Maria, THANK YOU FOR THAT TUTORIAL!!!!! That's the first time I was ever able to get a white background without messing up my bead's colors-and you made it SO easy!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you.......

Old 2007-10-08, 4:58pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Yeah! I'm so happy to hear this! Thank you for letting me know, Kara! (((())))

Old 2007-10-12, 1:06pm

That's awesome, Maria! Thank you. I've been using PaintShopPro but now that I try this in PhotoShop I can see that this is much easier and quicker. And Jenny, I have Elements 3 and the menu items are exactly the same as what Maria has described.
Old 2007-10-12, 1:44pm
Cosmo and Bayley's Mom

Thank you! Awesome!

I also get a nice, white background now without messing up the bead colors!
Old 2007-10-12, 2:59pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Woo hoo! Thank you for letting me know, guys! You have no idea how happy this make me feel!

Old 2007-10-16, 7:53pm
susanLambert

ok I love you. I have tried to work with layers over and over. You gave a wonderful simple explanation
thank you!!
Susan

Old 2007-10-18, 12:33pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Love you back, Susan!

Old 2007-10-18, 3:30pm
Missing presumed fed

I assume that you took the photograph with the bead sitting on a perfectly white background, right? You should probably say that (if you do say, I missed it), because people use lots of different backgrounds. If somebody tries this method on a photo taken on a multicolored background, the result could be -- creative.
Old 2007-10-18, 6:05pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Yes you missed it.

Old 2007-10-18, 7:01pm
Missing presumed fed

OK, I'm a bonehead. Isn't the first time, won't be the last.
Old 2007-10-18, 7:50pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Old 2007-10-23, 11:18am

Nice! That's what I do for quick & nice photos too.

|
Old 2007-10-24, 1:48pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Thank you!

Old 2007-10-26, 7:44am

Ok ive tried this and many other toots, but my problem is when i click the white point the pic goes toooooooooo white and washes out the object, i cant seem to get the right balance
can anyone help?

WEBSITE--

BLOG--

Angie x
Old 2007-10-26, 8:18pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Hi Angie,

when taking bead picture with your camera, try get the picture less bright if its possible. I prefer the bead pic a bit under exposed than over, cause its easier to fix it if its under.

If its not possible, then at the point where you click the eyedropper, skip that step, and instead, just play with the histogram. Click and hold the black and white icon and drag it while watching your bead image. Chances are, you wont get too white background, but maybe close enough (please fogive my English, I hope you get what I mean).

There are other tricks, this tutorial is a very basic way. I hope someday I can add more steps. Good luck!

Last edited by born2snooze; 2007-10-26 at 8:20pm.
Old 2007-10-27, 5:59am

ok will do ive tried also using the preset white balance on my camera and when edited in photoshop its been spot on so im a happy bunny!

WEBSITE--

BLOG--

Angie x
Old 2007-10-27, 8:08am

thought i would show u my pics, im sooooooo pleased with the results
you are a star
i just want to keep taking pics now LOL

what ya think? are they ok?

WEBSITE--

BLOG--

Angie x
Old 2007-10-28, 12:11pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Its great Angie! Do you use the macro setting too? And when using macro setting, it will help a lot if you use tripod, for me tripod is a must. Show me more pics!

Old 2007-10-29, 1:23am

yea i use the macro but they still seem a little blurry, need to invest in a tripod

WEBSITE--

BLOG--

Angie x
Old 2007-11-05, 4:03pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Yep. tripod is a must!

Old 2007-11-05, 4:14pm
Missing presumed fed

Your camera probably also has a timer feature. Use that, too. With the very slow shutter speeds that you need to use (your camera will set them automatically), even the tiny bit of shaking from your finger pressing the button can make your image unclear. If you set the timer, the camera won't take the picture for a couple of seconds, so that the camera will be still when the shutter goes off.

If you don't have a tripod yet, can you set the camera on the table or a box or stack of books or something just so you don't have to hand hold it?
Old 2007-11-08, 1:00am
Glass-aholic

i really need help with my pics this is great! (maybe i should just get my photo enclined DB to do it...hehe)

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2007-11-10, 9:35am
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Please post the pics!

Old 2007-11-28, 6:29pm

Can't wait to try this. Having a dark background is one of my biggest problems. I have many more when it comes to getting decent pix, but this is the one I wanted to work on. Thanks for posting.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2007-11-28, 6:50pm

I'm trying it but having problems as I'm using Paint Shop Pro 9.
I've opened Layers, open levels, then I have three tabs that say general, adjustment, overlay. I can't find the histograph.
Someone please help. My photos need major help.
If I try to lighten the background it lightens the whole pix.
Your tut seems so easy but I can't make heads or tales out of my Paint shop

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell