Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2006-01-11, 5:27am
Safety ALWAYS

Mike - Canadian law DOES state that no electrical device may be sold in Canada that draws more than 12 amps. Canada does not recognize the US standard for 20 amp 120 Volt devices, and uses a 15 amp 80% rule which gives the 12 amp maximum.

14 amp kilns by definition are 20 amp devices, meaning they should be running on 20 amp circuits, not 15 amp circuits. Again, this is the 80% rule - the maximum draw on a given circuit must be less than or equal to 80% of the circuit breaker maximum.

14 amp kilns SHOULD HAVE 20 amp plugs on them to prevent their use on 15 amp circuits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-01-13, 2:55pm
PyronamixK

Michelle,

It is quite possible that if your tank was ever layed on its side, the odorant oil could have gone through the gas line.

Here's a true story that relates to your story. Don't try this at home:

There was a guy at a glassworking demo in Seattle who said that he heard that if you lay a tank on its side, you could get more heat out of the flame... so, while an artist was giving a demo, he layed the tank on its side (without the artist knowing). The torch went from having a nice blue flame to being a flame thrower with a solid yellow brushy flame - huge. That, of course, scared the artist. They soon realised what had happened - that this guy had the bright idea to lay the tank over. When it was stood back up, the flame took a while to change back to blue. It then had balls of yellow shooting out, almost like a fountain firework. It never completely cleaned up during the demo, because the oil was still dragging through the propane line.

So, my guess is that your tank was somehow shaken or layed over and the odorant oil went through your line and through your torch. This was no fault of your torch. And, your torch should not be damaged by this.

If you feel that the oil hasn't cleared your line, then perhaps you should get a new line.
Old 2006-01-13, 3:15pm
1 Martini Shy of Nirvana!

I wish it was that easy but the tank has not moved from it's little home....I am having no troubles with the new torch I just hooked up (Bobcat). I was at the bottom of the tank and I wonder if the oil at the bottom was brought up through the lines........hmmm that makes me think and feel a bit better.

Thanks!

Old 2006-01-13, 5:37pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobiebeads
I wish it was that easy but the tank has not moved from it's little home....I am having no troubles with the new torch I just hooked up (Bobcat). I was at the bottom of the tank and I wonder if the oil at the bottom was brought up through the lines........hmmm that makes me think and feel a bit better.

Thanks!

No... Because fuel is drawn off top of tank and it is a vapor... Nothing is drawn from bottom of tank where the liquid is....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2006-01-13, 9:17pm
Fight glass with FIRE

After reading around and asking around also the odorant that is put in the propane is really such a miniscule amount that I wonder if it could really accumulate that much and shoot out.

Emmanuel Germain
Old 2006-01-14, 12:15pm

damnit!

Old 2006-01-14, 6:57pm
PyronamixK

Why don't you send the torch back in to Nortel so they can check it, just to be safe?
Old 2006-01-15, 5:58am
Safety ALWAYS

Has the hose set ever been used with another torch like the HotHead or Fireworks torch?

There are documented reports of odorant gunk accumulating in hose sets when the HotHead/Fireworks torch is being used. This occurs for several reasons - no regulator to "filter" the odorant gunk, hose sets laying on the floor below the level of the liquid propane in the tank creating the so-called "suction effect" or pooling.

Also - are you sure that the hose set you are using is a "T" grade hose? If you are using "R" grade, be aware that this material is not suitable for propane use and will degrade with exposure to propane.

What I'd do right now is to replace the hose set entirely. They are not that expensive - usually around $25 or so.

If, after replacing the hoses, you still have this problem, replace the regulator assembly. Then, if necessary, replace the fuel tank.

Take it step by step and sooner or later, the culprit will be found.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-01-15, 11:27am

The hose was never used for anything else. The hose is a little over a year old and the tank a little over a year. I have to take down my Bobcat and hook up my Minor today to see if I can teach on it tomorrow.

Thanks and I will keep you posted.

Old 2006-01-15, 9:59pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius
Has the hose set ever been used with another torch like the HotHead or Fireworks torch?

There are documented reports of odorant gunk accumulating in hose sets when the HotHead/Fireworks torch is being used. This occurs for several reasons - no regulator to "filter" the odorant gunk, hose sets laying on the floor below the level of the liquid propane in the tank creating the so-called "suction effect" or pooling.

Also - are you sure that the hose set you are using is a "T" grade hose? If you are using "R" grade, be aware that this material is not suitable for propane use and will degrade with exposure to propane.

What I'd do right now is to replace the hose set entirely. They are not that expensive - usually around $25 or so.

If, after replacing the hoses, you still have this problem, replace the regulator assembly. Then, if necessary, replace the fuel tank.

Take it step by step and sooner or later, the culprit will be found.
Mike, generally speaking, your investigative technique is good, but I think you may be overlooking a few of the clues she gave us.

Michelle said that the line she bought from Canadian Tire was a bar-b-que line with a pancake regulator attached. From this, I would guess that this would be a new line since it was sold from a retailer and that the line was designed for use with propane since it was for a bar-b-que. She also said that it was not used for a HotHead or Fireworks torch.

More importantly, Michelle said that upon inspection, there was no visible oil in the line and that the problem did not present itself with the other torch she attached to the same line.

Further, Michelle said that the Minor burner was "ticking." This is an important clue. The ticking could be caused by internal mixing. I'm not saying it is, but because it is a possibility, the prudent thing to do would be to have the torch examined immediately. A slow internal leak could get bigger.

Michelle, I would suggest you play it safe and have the torch checked out by Nortel. What's the worst that could happen? You already have another torch (the Bobcat), so you would not be without a torch while the Minor was being checked out. If there is nothing wrong with the torch, then you will have some peace of mind.

BTW, if you decide to hook it up and run it (the Minor) before sending it back in, I would recommend using flash-back arrestors in case there is an internal leak.

I hope it all goes well.