Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-09-03, 5:36pm

Question MAGNETS???

Has anyone ever tried to encase magnets?
Old 2015-09-03, 8:24pm
Phill

Heated iron will lose it's magnetism somewhere around 6oo degrees I think. Well below hot glass temps.

You may be able to reinstate it with an electromagnet coil after you get it in the glass.

I would think you will likely wind up with off gassing while the glass is hot and that could look like some of the brass shaving frit pictures you should be able to find here abouts.
Old 2015-09-03, 9:05pm
MacGalver

I would guess that Phill is correct. Even if the magnet did not lose it's power, I'm pretty sure the glass would not like it!

Are you wanting to put a magnet into the back of something so it doesn't show? You could do that by making an indentation in the back of the glass with a graphite rod slightly larger than the magnet, and then glue the magnet in place, even cover it with felt or whatever afterwards. If you give more specifics about what you are trying to accomplish, somebody around here may be able to help you figure it out ~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-09-04, 12:13pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

My guess is that there'd be a loud boom and lots of flying shards. Probably right at the torch, not in your kiln, but I wouldn't rule it out. The one possible exception would be torch firing metal enamel on it - but from what Phill is saying it wouldn't be a magnet any more

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L-111

Old 2015-09-12, 4:20pm
Pincel de Fuego

Please try it and show us! Hehe

/
/