Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2009-08-19, 12:08pm

Default Do you wear a leather apron?

Do you wear or recommend wearing a leather apron or other types of protective clothing or even hair covering to protect yourself? I've read bits about wearing such things to keep your lap safe.

Exactly how much glass pops around on a regular basis if you're careful?

I"m gonna freak out at first I know it when lighting the torch or when glass pops. I hate loud sudden noises, like most people do.
You've got to know how much I want to do this, I'm terrified of open flames usually, I mean when they first come on especially. That WHOOSH/POP sound.

My mother was badly burned when I was a toddler by a malfunctioning old gas stove back in the early 70's that somebody had fiddled with. So I've been pretty much scared of flames since then. However as an adult I learned to bbq..but I usually made my husband light the gas on the grill most of the time.

But I am prepared to learn to do whatever. I just want to be safe as possible.

I've posted more questions than i can count and gotten some great feedback, so thanks everyone who's been helpful. I couldn't have done it without you...well I could have, but it's much easier this way.
michele

An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one. ~Charles Horton Cooley

Last edited by ShellyJo1969; 2009-08-19 at 12:10pm.
Old 2009-08-19, 12:24pm

Assuming you're working 104 glass, if you slowly introduce your glass in the back of the flame and slowly bring it into the working area, you'll minimize popping bits of glass. You'll find that some glass is shocky even if you do this, so if you pre-heat the ends of your glass rod in your kiln (helpful for larger diameter glass, too), you'll have less bits flying, also. I find that the pieces tend to pop away from me, and it doesn't happen all the time. If you use one of these pre-heating techniques and are patient about warming up your glass before you try to work it, you shouldn't experience this much.

The leather apron is a good idea if you want to do marbles or off-mandrel work that might fall off a punty or otherwise get away from you.

Linda
Old 2009-08-19, 12:38pm
honorary bead lady

No apron here. What Linda said.
If you sit I would recomend a stool or a chair with out a back, that way if you need to move quick the back dosen't stop you. I would recomend not wearing a watch! Most of my burns are under my watch band If you wear long sleeves make sure that they are not loose at the wrist.

My wife thinks she wants to learn to torch, I told her first she has to get rid of the fear of lighting the torch, BBQed burger story there
Old 2009-08-19, 12:46pm
Your Royal Fritness

I only use a apron when I make marbles because they roll if you make the right

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-08-19, 1:15pm
burnin' glass just becuz

i have a tendancy to drop things (usually short stringers) so always wear a leather apron. and based on the number of black burn marks on my apron right now, it's probably a very good idea that i KEEP wearing an apron. ;-D.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2009-08-19, 1:57pm
when in doubt, add a dot

I wear an apron when I take classes, because I figure I might be distracted and I want to protect myself. Because I torch in the garage it is just too hot to use an apron in the summer. I should wear one all the time, I tend to have glass go down my shirt, my chest looks like I've been shot! I also try to remember to introduce a rod down into the flame, from above, instead of from the side, that way if anything pops it goes mostly on the worktable. I was afraid of the torch too, but it went away after lighting the torch a few hundred times!
Jaquetta

If you want my attention, talk glass to me.
Old 2009-08-19, 3:10pm

I do pull my hair into a tight ponytail way out of my face. I always wear pants and full higher collar T shirts, not tank tops.

I do wear open toed shoes sometimes, but my work area is metal, and it's just not going to happen that I could drop something into my toes-not the way I work or walk it to the kiln. I always wear shoes, though, because of the broken glass on my studio floor.

You are going to get popped with hot glass-mostly on the arms and face, from my experience. less on the legs and hair, but it will happen. The slower you introduce soft glass rods, the less it will happen. Don't try devardi glass right now. I like it, but some of it just wants to be frit. If you are really nervous about it...try boro rather than soft glass. It pops less-a lot less.
Old 2009-08-19, 3:54pm

I do wear a leather apron. It has saved many items of clothing just from flying pieces of glass and hot pieces of murrini that have been dropped and rolled into my lap. I also wear kevlar gloves - the kind that keep my fingers free, but protect my hands in case they get too close to the flame. I've gotten very good at not doing that, but I did get an awful burn early on when my hand went through the flame when I turned around to look at something DH was trying to show me.

That said, this summer I do find myself getting too hot with all that protective gear, so I wind up wearing tank tops anyway; now I have burn scars inside my elbow from flying glass..... That will teach me!

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2009-08-19, 4:57pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyJo1969 View Post
Do you wear or recommend wearing a leather apron or other types of protective clothing or even hair covering to protect yourself? I've read bits about wearing such things to keep your lap safe.
Honestly? I HAVE a leather apron that I use for metalsmithing, but I don't
wear it for glass. I've found that when the glass pops, it goes INTO the
apron, UNDER the apron - anywhere but ON the apron.
I just try and be careful and work the glass slowly so it doesn't pop
(or I do boro, which practically NEVER pops).

Quote:
Exactly how much glass pops around on a regular basis if you're careful?
Exactly how much spaghetti sauce slops all over the stove if you're careful?
Same kind of question. The answer is, no matter how careful you are, there
will always be some "shocky" glass that just insists on popcorning its way
down to a nub, and there's little you can do about it. You just need to take
precautions so it doesn't affect you as badly as it could. Keep water nearby,
pre heat your shocky rods in the kiln if you must. Keep a fire extinguisher
handy, Do NOT wear low cut t-shirts when you are torching (I swear,
cleavage is a glass magnet).

Quote:
I"m gonna freak out at first I know it when lighting the torch or when glass pops. I hate loud sudden noises, like most people do.
You've got to know how much I want to do this, I'm terrified of open flames usually, I mean when they first come on especially. That WHOOSH/POP sound.
My mother was badly burned when I was a toddler by a malfunctioning old gas stove back in the early 70's that somebody had fiddled with. So I've been pretty much scared of flames since then. However as an adult I learned to bbq..but I usually made my husband light the gas on the grill most of the time.

But I am prepared to learn to do whatever. I just want to be safe as possible.
My best advice for ALL newbies is get thee to a class. Take a beginning
lampwork class and learn the proper way (hopefully) of turning on and
off a torch, heating up rods, HOLDING rods and glass, etc, etc...
It will save you SO much money and patience in the long run.
Self taught is fine for some people, but there is no shame or lessening
of anyone's opinion of you if you take classes. Especially classes from
respected bead artists! MMMmmmmm....classes........

Plus you make lots of friends!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2009-08-19, 5:51pm

Shelly Jo,
You will find a huge amount of info here just by reading and doing searches. When you do find answers to your questions subscribe to that thread and you will be able to find in for future reference. A note book will help and keep notes in catagories.
There is so much to learn but you will do fine.
I suggest Jim Kervin's book " Everything you ever wanted to know about bead making"
I wear a leather apron to work in because I wear shorts and tee shirts.
Our weather is brutal in the summer, so I torch early in the morning.
Ditto what Karen said. Take a class to make sure that you learn correctly.
Where are you located? Maybe there is a studio close by you can go and check out.
MarieAnn
Old 2009-08-19, 5:55pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I have a 100% cotton blanket (old) that I fold double and lay over my lap and stomach. It has saved me pain a number of times.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-08-19, 6:06pm

I do. Every time I torch. It fits well so I've never had an 'under the apron' problem. There are some rods that will pop no matter what you do or how much care you take. If there is a bubble in just the right spot, the rod will pop while it's melting.

Mine is actually a suede carpenter's apron that cost 20 bucks. More than paid for itself.
Old 2009-08-19, 7:08pm
daughter and I

I have one, rarely wear it and then only in the winter, it's warm. I do like the pockets.

Seaside Fire Designs

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just swish and spit.
Old 2009-08-19, 7:16pm
Critter Mom

The only time I wear my leather apron is when I'm using my big fusing kiln, not for lampworking. I do wear cotton, and since I've had hot glass pop and go down the front of my shirt and into my bra, I recommend buttoning up. I also pull my hair back. I always wear shoes, no sandles, no bare feet. I've had relatives who've been badly burned (doing other things, not lampworking) and so it's always on my mind, but it doesn't stop me. Once you've made it past the first few days your nerves will settle down.

Old 2009-08-19, 7:19pm
Macaw Mamma

Always..... and I use Boro and it rarely pops... when I use BE I usually get a good burn from popping glass wherever the apron doesn't cover......

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2009-08-19, 8:46pm

Smile

I wear a welders leather apron.Always. Just incase. Better to be safe than sorry.
Janet
Old 2009-08-19, 11:16pm
I'm meeeeelting

I find most popping glass goes down my shirt or hits me in the neck, chest or arms. On the rare occasion that it lands on my legs, I feel the warm through my jeans and shake the glass off. I've never gotten burned from glass hitting my legs, unlike the other areas. I need a leather turtleneck.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2009-08-20, 12:03am
*Desa Elliott*

I might be flaunting the safety rules here, but I don't use an apron. It is simply too hot; at this time I am my own source of intense heat anyway, and I don't need that kind of help.

But I do have three major rules about my torch time.
1. I wear a tee shirt (old, scruffy paint shirt), that has a higher neckline. Guard the Girls, right?
2. I keep the 2nd skin Burn bandages handy. I have no scars because I use those immediately when I do something stupid.
3. Because of the heat, I always have a drink handy. My cup has a cover. I don't like the taste of bead release or the crunch of glass.

I would think that if you want to wear more protective clothing, denim or heavier canvas type fabric would be a good choice, if you aren't wild about the heat of leather.

I have found, and this is important, that most glass rods don't really "explode" unless you are dealing with some Devardi or some of the Odd Lots of any manufacturer. Mostly, the rod just blows the end off in the direction that the rod is pointing. It seems to go straight out from there. Occasionally for several feet. It can get amusing.

Desa

G-88
Creideamh, Sųil, Dėlseachd

(Scottish Gaelic: Faith, Hope, Love)

www.ETSY.com/shop/GothicGlassJewelry
Old 2009-08-20, 3:10am
He can do the origami

Well I wont say that I do this.... but let's just say there is a glass pendant maker named.... ummm "potter" yeah that's his name.... he doesn't wear a leather aporon, works in soft glass and boro, thermal shocks 104 constantly because he can't be bothered with patiently introducing glass into the flame, has been known to torch in shorts if he goes out to his studio to "just make one pendant", has dropped marbles and pendants straight down his cotton shirts and finds the resulting mark makes a cool singed line decoration. I have gotten a few.... uhh I mean this other guy has gotten a few bits of hot glass embedded in his shirts ets but nothing that a leather apron really would have protected him from.

Most any burns I have had have been on my hands and I have had nothing so severe it took me out of action at all. Little burn scars are great conversation starters anyway A great way to tell someone what you do and a good way to recruit future hot glass junkies.

When I am cutting glass for kiln work, every now and then you get a cut, when you are working glass and fire.... every now and then you will get a little burn. Do your research, use common sense and take precautions. If you are comfortable in a leather apron, use it. I have actually only torched in shorts once and honestly it is a stupid idea for me and goes back to being complacent.

It is always better to err on the side of safety than to have an E.R. doctor laugh at you as you explain exactly how you caught your pelvic area on fire!

Otter
Old 2009-08-20, 3:33am

Yeah Otter. I know a guy that frequently runs to the shop in the nude to do a quick soldering job on silver to get it out for an order that came in overnight. So far the dude has been lucky and only got a few minor burns when a piece of hot silver dropped on his legs. He now has to slip a pair of house shoes on because of the stupid popping glass splinters around the shop though.

We won't mention the singed beard, eyebrows, and hair from the exploding lighter incident. And that time he was fully clothed...

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-08-20, 8:44am
*Desa Elliott*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter's Flame View Post
Well I wont say that I do this.... but let's just say there is a glass pendant maker named.... ummm "potter" yeah that's his name.... he doesn't wear a leather aporon, works in soft glass and boro, thermal shocks 104 constantly because he can't be bothered with patiently introducing glass into the flame, has been known to torch in shorts if he goes out to his studio to "just make one pendant", has dropped marbles and pendants straight down his cotton shirts and finds the resulting mark makes a cool singed line decoration. I have gotten a few.... uhh I mean this other guy has gotten a few bits of hot glass embedded in his shirts ets but nothing that a leather apron really would have protected him from.

Quote:
Most any burns I have had have been on my hands and I have had nothing so severe it took me out of action at all. Little burn scars are great conversation starters anyway A great way to tell someone what you do and a good way to recruit future hot glass junkies.
Yeah, they warm right up to the idea. I have found that their eyes get big and they quietly move away.......

Quote:
When I am cutting glass for kiln work, every now and then you get a cut, when you are working glass and fire.... every now and then you will get a little burn. Do your research, use common sense and take precautions. If you are comfortable in a leather apron, use it. I have actually only torched in shorts once and honestly it is a stupid idea for me and goes back to being complacent.

I think that complacency is the worst thing. It is just when you feel like you are doing great and have it all under control is when you get burned.

Quote:
It is always better to err on the side of safety than to have an E.R. doctor laugh at you as you explain exactly how you caught your pelvic area on fire!

Otter
Yeah, and the scent of burning hair is just nasty. euggh! I know this because I forgot the hair ties once. I had a hot rod escape the hemostats <sproing>, sail past my left ear, but caught some hair as I hit the deck. This earned me the nickname of the Artful Dodger.

G-88
Creideamh, Sųil, Dėlseachd

(Scottish Gaelic: Faith, Hope, Love)

www.ETSY.com/shop/GothicGlassJewelry
Old 2009-08-20, 10:32am
Growing Edge Glass

I do wear my leather apron...and have the scorched marks on it to prove it!!

There's the lovely smell of leather/skin burning and I frantically take inventory to see if I feel that burning sensation on my skin first and then look down to see where a small piece of glass has imbedded itself into the leather. All from my impatience at times...or not providing enough heat on a finished bead on the mandrel...then reintroducing it into the flame too late.

Unfortunately I recently did this with a disc bead...two on the mandrel...when I went back to warm the 1st bead..a chunk of it shot off and straight onto my exposed neck above the bib of the apron. I grabbed at it, but it was "stuck" to my neck!! (insert green faced,nauseous smilie here...where are those damn things anyway?) My blistered neck is just now healing over.

I bought a do rag to wear on my head...haven't worn it yet! But I need to start wearing it.

I always seem to get small pop off glass on my arms/hands when I'm making twisties. ..or rather heating up the excess glass fragments off the end of my punties.I've thought about getting some arm guards.

I'm really not as bad as it sounds...just kind of impatient!(insert embarassed smilie here)

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2009-08-20, 11:52am
specializing in obnoxious

I typically torch bare footed (unless its winter, then I wear socks- that floor gets COLD) and wear shorts and tank tops. I have a few burns but mostly on my hands and arms where an apron wouldn't have helped anyway. Plus... I hate to be uncomfortable! I have made pendants and marbles with this attire also although I typically stand when making those so there is little risk of them hitting my lap. My biggest risk these days is lighting my fingernails on fire when I get the stringers a little too close to the flame. That doesn't burn so much as startle.

I suppose one major factor is....

How fast can you jump?

__Go Big, or Go Home!__

Old 2009-08-20, 11:58am

A welder's apron will cost you $7 at Harbor Freight. If it prevents even 1 burn you've made your money back. Hot glass can fly into some pretty uncomfortable places. I always wear mine, regardless.

Robert
Old 2009-08-20, 12:11pm
Never give up

Yeap I wear an apron, better safe then really sorry.
Old 2009-08-20, 1:12pm
just plain silly

Leather apron for me too! The leather welding aprons from Harbor Freight are cheap and one of my absolutely best investments.

Suzanne
Old 2009-08-20, 2:36pm
Bead Obsessed

Yep, leather apron from Harbor Freight for me. The first time a piece of glass hit my pant leg and rolled down to my ankle. I shut down the torch and drove directly to Harbor Freight. I used to pull my thigh length hair into a pony tail but now that I had 26" cut off of it I just use a headband.

Old 2009-08-20, 2:40pm
Bead Obsessed

The other think I do, since I'm a short person...I pin the back of the neck strap on the apron so that the top of the bib is up high like where you'd wear a choker. After I got the apron I had a piece of glass fly up and hit me in the chest like Mikelene describes above.

I have several burn marks on my apron which proves that it was a great investment

Old 2009-08-20, 4:31pm

I wear my apron every time I torch! I also tie a bandana around my neck! A little overkill maybe, but after several burns, I guess I got paranoid.

Old 2009-08-23, 1:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreFiend View Post

Yeah, and the scent of burning hair is just nasty. euggh! I know this because I forgot the hair ties once. I had a hot rod escape the hemostats <sproing>, sail past my left ear, but caught some hair as I hit the deck. This earned me the nickname of the Artful Dodger.

Hey, isn't Artful Dodger a cartoon character?

Well, that tears it! I"m off to Harbor Freight to order a welders apron!

An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one. ~Charles Horton Cooley

Last edited by ShellyJo1969; 2009-08-23 at 1:51pm.