AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2008-09-01, 7:53am

Default Does natural gas burn cleaner than propane?

xx

Last edited by nancewbl; 2014-08-26 at 7:22pm.
Old 2008-09-01, 9:02am
Gentleman of Leisure

Dangers from COMBUSTION BY PRODUCTS of NG are pretty much the same as propane.... They both give off large amounts of carbon monoxide, carbon dioxides, nitrous oxides (when combined with moisture creates nitric acids) ....

As for cleaner flame for actually working the glass, yes, NG its cleaner than propane and leave less impurities and soot in glass, but you give up a little heat, but its not a real problem...

If you have choice go with NG if at all practical to do so, BUT do not scrimp on ventilation...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-09-01, 12:12pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancewbl View Post
I have a choice in my location of using natural gas or propane. Obviously, I would like to keep the fumes to a minimum and I was wondering if there is any difference between natural gas and propane in that respect.

Many of you are very knowledgeable and I would appreciate your thoughts.

Nancy
An important difference, that many find enormously advantageous, is that propane sinks to the floor while NG rises to the ceiling - making it much easier to exhaust. Gas safety inspectors and fire inspectors are CONSIDERABLY more tolerant of NG than propane. In many instances, there isn't even an inspection required. The licenced installer's certification is accepted.

The disadvantage is NG doesn't produce as much heat as propane but the advantages more then outweigh that. If you got it, go gas.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-09-01, 12:40pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brady View Post
... Snip.... Gas safety inspectors and fire inspectors are CONSIDERABLY more tolerant of NG than propane. In many instances, there isn't even an inspection required. The licenced installer's certification is accepted. ....Snip....
Keep in mind this information come from some one based in Canada, your local rules/codes may very.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-09-01, 12:57pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Keep in mind this information come from some one based in Canada, your local rules/codes may very.

Dale
Rules vary everywhere but I can assure from exchanges with American artisans that the rules and regs in WA state are pretty much identical to those in Canada.

Information provided by someone on the internet can be a helpful guideline, but do NOT assume that information is gospel until you check with your local authorities.

http://www.glasscampus.com/tutorials...ty%20Silly.pdf

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-09-01, 1:10pm

About the difference in heat. You'll only lose around 100 BTU's from propane to NG. But IMO, Because NG burns cleaner and does not reduce as fast you can push the flame thurther then propane thus making up the difference.
Scott

ESTY
Old 2008-09-01, 8:04pm

I run NG only on standard house pressure. You can make really big beads at that. 4+ inches, 1.5 inch spheres, no problem. Plus, I use bullseye, and it melts slightly slower than 104 COE. I clean my torch occasionally, but really, there's no build-up like I read about torches running propane get.
Old 2008-09-06, 11:23am
Ad astra per aspera

I have a notoriously "dirty" torch (see sigline). I was warned by several people before I bought it, but it fit the bill for my needs at the time (fuller flame, not necessarily hugely hotter). I ran it on NG for 2 years before I moved, and couldn't understand what everyone had been complaining about, it was wonderful!

Then I moved and had to torch outside on my balcony for a few years, with propane. Arrgh! I would get regular carbon buildup unless I was running a seriously oxidizing flame. The kids would come out to talk to me and tell me I had a "glowbug." LOL It got so bad that I set up a small mirror in front of the torch face so I could check regularly and scrape the face.

Then we moved into our house where I have a plumbed NG line. I gave my torch a thorough cleaning, connected it, and life is much better again!

I haven't noted an appreciable difference in heat at all.