Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2010-02-08, 7:29am

Default We Need Butterflies!

I sadly need to ask for help with our butterfly supply - we're essentially out right now. I'll be sending a batch from here this week from me and my Southern Flames friends. If you have some that you've been planning to send, now is the time. If you've got them in the mail already - Thank You!

Thank you all for your help!

Robert
Old 2010-02-08, 8:27am
Hobby Junkie

I'll try to torch some tonight. It may only be a few (since my studio is in the garage and we're barely hitting 20 degrees today), but I'll do what I can and mail them out within the next couple of days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-02-08, 9:27am

I'm trying to make some - love your tut on the copper leaf and enamel ones ... so I have been on a mission to find a nice butterfly punch.

Sorry, it's not immediate help but ... will be making some ASAP

Old 2010-02-08, 10:00am
novembersfyre everywhere

I have some scheduled for this week. I'm going to do the gold decals. I did find a whole sheet of them!

Old 2010-02-08, 11:34am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

I have a bunch. Most are horizontal, and a few vertical. I'll get them in.

Old 2010-02-08, 1:44pm

18 are on the way from me, should be arriving today or tomorrow. Another 2 here to start this month's batch... I'll try to make more.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2010-02-10, 6:45am
Run Free Sweet Boy

I have been making them this week, will be cleaning and wire wrapping them, they will go out along with the guilds beads next week.

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2010-02-10, 7:20am

I've got 10 butterflies and a bunch of other beads on the way to Tucson from here this morning. Thank you all for pitching in!

Robert
Old 2010-02-10, 9:21am
Does it come in purple?

I've made a few of the copper leaf butterfly beads. I've been hanging on to them until I have more made but I'll send out what I've made so far.

Carlisle Hellcat, OGSI generator, propane
Old 2010-02-10, 11:41am
Lampworkaholic!

I made my first two copper punch out butterfly beads last night. Let's just say they are not ready for prime time, but I have some good ideas to make them look much better.

I used foil, not leaf, and the butterflies did not get the green patina - does it have to be leaf? I actually like the gunmetal gray shade I got. Hmm, I may have to try CiM Gunmetal as a base for the white enamel with the butterfly to match. I may give up on flowers and do scrollwork instead.

I did like one of my color combos, CiM Kryptonite with white enamel. I was wondering if it would be appropriate to use baby blue and pastel pink for the base beads?

Should have some in the mail by next week at the latest.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Liz

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-02-10, 12:51pm

To get the green patina you really need to use the leaf instead of foil. The patina develops as a chemical reaction between the copper and the components of the enamel. The foil is too heavy, though you might try getting the foil really hot and pressing it down onto some enamel, the reheat it.

The pastel colors will be fine. I generally use white or ivory so that the enamel doesn't show as much, but other colors work fine.

Thanks much,
Robert
Old 2010-02-10, 2:31pm
Lampworkaholic!

Thanks. I got another tip that using the copper foil on ivory would give me a green patina so I will try that. I actually thought the white enamel looked great on the Kryptonite base. So lots of things to try.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-02-10, 6:02pm

There are endless possibilities. Really cool things come for trying them out.

R
Old 2010-02-10, 6:29pm

I found butterfly paper punches in the $1 section at Michael's...
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Haven't tried with silver yet, but I'm contemplating...

~:
~:

~:

Old 2010-02-10, 6:54pm
Corgi Cult Member

Robert, I'm extremely sad to hear more butterflies are needed, even the need for one is too many. I have several butterflies and purple hearts made and will get them sent.

Old 2010-02-11, 3:39am

Butterflies on the way today! Another torching session this afternoon and I'll put them on my agenda

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2010-02-11, 7:03am

Quote:
I sat down and tried all of my metal leaf types one day and copper was by far the easiest to manage. Silver was OK, but moon gold and gold were awful - they stuck to the paper around the edges. Perhaps a different type of paper would work better, but the basic printer paper worked great for copper. Palladium just didn't look nice.

Robert
Old 2010-02-11, 7:18pm

I've done printer paper with silver as well - it works nicely for leaves - but haven't tried with the butterflies yet. I'm thinking over frit with clear may work... I've done silver like that before and it was a neat effect. I have copper but haven't done much with it yet, except discover encased copper mesh on a rubino background blends in nicely.

~:
~:

~:

Old 2010-02-13, 5:44am

Quote:
THANKS Nikki - I've been looking everywhere here for one - all I have been able to find is the ugly M. Stewart one. We don't have ANY craft stores here anymore. BUT, I am on my way to Toronto tomorrow so I am going to grab the steering wheel when my husband tries to drive by the Michael's there.

Old 2010-02-13, 6:23am

I picked up a spare, let me know if you can't gain control of the vehicle and I'm sure it can find the way to you... I'll load up next time I'm there.

~:
~:

~:

Old 2010-02-13, 9:17pm
Lampworkaholic!

I found some great butterfly punches on ebay, also stars and hearts.

Old 2010-02-14, 3:38am

Quote:

I picked up a spare, let me know if you can't gain control of the vehicle and I'm sure it can find the way to you... I'll load up next time I'm there.
AWW - Thanks!

I'm hopin' he'll be tired and sleepin' and I can just "quietly" pull off LOL

Old 2010-02-14, 3:39am

Quote:
I found some great butterfly punches on ebay, also stars and hearts.
Thanks Elizabeth

Old 2010-02-16, 9:45pm
I'm meeeeelting

I tried to make a copper leaf butterfly a couple of days ago and it disintegrated immediately. I've made probably 8-10 beads with butterflies drawn on them in glass over the last two days and will get them in the mail before the week is over.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2010-02-17, 7:04am

Quote:
I tried to make a copper leaf butterfly a couple of days ago and it disintegrated immediately. I've made probably 8-10 beads with butterflies drawn on them in glass over the last two days and will get them in the mail before the week is over.
Troubleshooting question: When you made your copper leaf butterfly did you remember to have a good layer of white enamel on the bead first? Putting it on bare glass will make it break up and burn off. The enamel helps it stick and if you melt it in gently it will react with the copper and give you a nice green butterfly.

I posted 11 copper/enamel butterflies yesterday.

Robert
Old 2010-02-17, 9:26am
I'm meeeeelting

I put 2-3 coats of enamel on first. Maybe not enough? I'll give it another try next time I'm in the studio. It disintegrated on contact - I hadn't even hit it with the flame yet.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2010-02-17, 10:13am

sounds like you had enough enamel. Next question: Was the enamel layer really hot? If the enamel is hot enough the copper generally sticks very tightly. I run the flame across the enamel so that it gets really hot but you don't pump enough heat directly into the bead to make it start to slump. If the enamel cools off too much before you put the copper on the you might get uneven adherence and it'll break up.

Robert
Old 2010-02-17, 11:13am
I'm meeeeelting

Ah. That was probably the problem. Thanks.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2010-02-17, 11:35am
Glassy Broad :-)

Robert I'm trying to get some boro color to use as backing on some pendants. I have 2 different styles of butterfly dichroic images and am going to donate them all to BOC. So I'm working on it

Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2010-02-17, 11:37am

Quote:
Robert I'm trying to get some boro color to use as backing on some pendants. I have 2 different styles of butterfly dichroic images and am going to donate them all to BOC. So I'm working on it

Nita
Sounds pretty cool. Post some pics when you get it sorted out.

Robert